Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lifting the Front Wheel trail-side?

thepointchris

Question

Last bit of scrambling getting ready for my longest trip so far, and  I have a question about "trail-side" stands:

I own one of these:https://www.chapmoto.com/unit-motorcycle-products-c5010-emergency-side-stand.html?sku=832-C5010&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr_LazInw-QIV9R6tBh0-9QyNEAQYBCABEgLknfD_BwE

Lifts the rear wheel with ease, so a flat repair or chain lube is a cinch. But I cannot position it to be able to lift the front wheel (the bike just pivots around the kick stand, since the since the balance of the T7 is rear-biased.

So I've asked questions about these:

With the UltraLight Dual Sport Trail Jack Stand it is very easy to raise one of the wheels off the ground to fix a flat. It the lightest on the market.

The products above make mention that "on some bike the Front Wheel can be raised", leading me to think that a different stand may not do any better, and that Cory's suggestion @Camel ADV is a very practical one to find a rock or log to roll under the bash plate?

Or: has anyone actually lifted the front wheel with one of the above? If so, where did you position the top hook? I was thinking that the front finned side of the camel-ADV Bash Plate provides a long  suitable slot , and the position of that slot is in a more forward position than any I have tried (my Unit model does not fit small holes/slots).

Thanks for any help and replies.

Chris

9 answers to this question

I use an unwanted telescopic crutch cut down to fit under the bike.

Fits under most bash plates or under the exhaust. The DR isn't mine!

image.jpeg.84ea9b0ac2cd14546eeedca64b4ddb14.jpeg

Edited by Rider 101

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Interesting. I carry the same one but havent used it. Maybe I need to try to lift the front. If it doesnt work, I need to look for another option also.

15 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

I use an unwanted telescopic crutch cut down to fit under the bike.

Fits under most bash plates or under the exhaust. The DR isn't mine!

image.jpeg.84ea9b0ac2cd14546eeedca64b4ddb14.jpeg

But have you lifted the FRONT, of a T7? Thanks for posting.

I have this

bartang-trail-jack-portable-motorcycle-j

The ideal tool for travelling on a motorcycle without a center stand. Handy for road side repairs of a flat tire or lubricating your chain anytime anywhere.

I also used it to lift the back ant the front, have an Adventure Spec bashplate and used the cut outs for lifting.
Just put him on the side stand and lift it on the right side by pushing the handlebar up and put the jackstand in a slot and make a triangle between the rear wheel, side stand and jackstand.
Tip: first untighten the axle

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, thepointchris said:

But have you lifted the FRONT, of a T7? Thanks for posting.

Yep. Tried it in the shed. I will get a pic on the weekend.

23 minutes ago, Rider 101 said:

Yep. Tried it in the shed. I will get a pic on the weekend.

Thanks Rider101!

Here is a pic of the front just clear of the ground. I have a longer one which is strapped to my back pack hence the timber underneath. It definitely works better on the crash bar but in hindsight I might make a small aluminium plate to slip in the slots in the bash plate. The bike does tend to want to rotate around the stand but on a dirt road this will be less of a problem.

It is a cheap way of making a stand if you have a free adjustable crutch lying around.

stand.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rider 101 said:

Here is a pic of the front just clear of the ground. I have a longer one which is strapped to my back pack hence the timber underneath. It definitely works better on the crash bar but in hindsight I might make a small aluminium plate to slip in the slots in the bash plate. The bike does tend to want to rotate around the stand but on a dirt road this will be less of a problem.

It is a cheap way of making a stand if you have a free adjustable crutch lying around.

stand.jpg

thanks for taking the time @Rider 101 - I'll have to play around next week to make it work!

It is a bit wet here in Oz so I spent the day giving the bike a bit of luv