Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

From a sports bike to a Tenere 700

Mad dog

Hi Guys, I am after a bit of feedback/advise i have owned sports bikes for many years but now at 60 my body is telling me to get something more comfortable. I really like the look of the Tenere 700 & after sitting on one in the dealer showroom it felt really nice not to heavy like a Africa twin my only concern coming from a 1000cc rocket would I find the Tenere underpowered ?  

Edited by Mad dog

It's a different kind of riding.
I own a tuned Honda Crosstourer with which i have clocked 0 to 100km/h in 2.48 seconds and blast over twisties but i have a blast on my T7 despite it's just a tat more than halve the power of the CT.
I do ride it offroad where i have the most fun but still had a blast in the Norwegian twisty fjords.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mad dog said:

concern coming from a 1000cc rocket would I find the Tenere underpowered

Well,

If you ride mostly super highways... yes

If you ride tight single tracks... you will only use 1/4 throttle at best.

Somewhere in between? Anyone's call....

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

37 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Well,

If you ride mostly super highways... yes

If you ride tight single tracks... you will only use 1/4 throttle at best.

Somewhere in between? Anyone's call....

To be honest that is a fantastic way to put it, my best bet is to find a dealer who has a demo as the size, weigh & looks of the bike are perfect, thanks guys for your help 👍

• Moderators

@Mad dogI went from from a 140 hp FJR to the 72 hp T7,  yes you certainly will notice.  As @Hibobb noted, depends on where you're riding, but I miss the FJR effortlessly passing of slow cages,  while the T7 usually takes dropping 2 gears to get around someone briskly. Other than that, the T7 shines as I ride around 60/40 street/ dirt, so it fills that niche really well. And, at 6'1" with a 36" inseam, the T7 fits me much more comfortably than the FJR. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

It definitely doesnt have the power of a sport bike but has enough to be entertaining. Love the parallel twin sound too.

Slowing down a little is not a bad thing.  I’ve owned a little bit of everything over 51 riding years and way back in the 80s I bought a new Harley Super Glide after previously owning a Honda V65 Sabre……the Harley had less than half the hp of the Sabre but after a short acclimation time I really enjoyed riding my slower, clunky Harley.

The Tenere 700 has more than enough horsepower to get you in trouble and  the engine is one of the best I’ve ever owned.     

The adventure style bike is easy to ride, comfortable, and allows some riding on less travelled roads at a sane pace.  It will also run all day at 75 mph on the highway.  I enjoy riding at 7-8/10th and not being on a current hyper bike.  YMMV

Edited by whisperquiet

It's a mellow ride compared to your current bike, for sure, but that can be a great thing.

Pick one up, but for now, keep the sportbike.

I mean, you're not 70 or anything! 🙃