Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Oil Games Cont’d

Tundratom

Is the oil window supposed to show empty when the motor is running at idle on level ground ?. I tried sneaking up on correct level, adding a little at a time. On the last go around the glass was completely clear and when I shut it off the oil level is higher than the high mark. Advice? Comments? 

Is the oil window supposed to show empty when the motor is running at idle on level ground ?. I tried sneaking up on correct level, adding a little at a time. On the last go around the glass was completely clear and when I shut it off the oil level is higher than the high mark. Advice? Comments? 

Always check oil level with the engine off. When running, the oil pump is circulating oil throughout the engine and you can't see any level because the sump isn't full of static oil that has drained back into the crankcase.

Edited by jdub53

Let it run for 2 minutes and then cool down for 2. Put the bike on level ground and keep it upright.
At that moment the level should be just under the max mark and maximum at the mark but never over.
When the level is over the pressure can get too high and/or the oil can turn into foam.
When it's too high you can take a syringe with a hose to suck out what's too much.
Once you know it's on the right level you can check the level the next morning when it's cold so you know what the level is at that point taking away the necessity to let it run and cool down just to check the oil.

• Like 1

You are not to check for proper oil level with the engine running.  It will show way low.  Not on any model bike ever.  Now that you "snuck oil up" to correct level while its running, you have overfilled it.  You need to remove some oil before running it down the road.

You only run the engine to warm the oil to full operating temperature before checking it.  Then it needs to sit "off" for 5 mins before you check it.  Get the oil between the marks with the oil warm and engine off.

Edited by DT675

22 hours ago, Tundratom said:

Yes, oil window empty (as you state) with engine running is normal

Advice - only check oil with engine stopped, and wait 5 min for the oil up in the engine to drain down.

Comments - you've overfilled the oil if it is a top of oil window when running.

You will get a lot of blow by back into the airbox.

You also risk over-pressuring the crankcase and blowing out seals.

Drain some oil, fast.

• Like 1

Thanks Black99S !  I had done the 1st oil change adding in 2.75 US Qts as per the owners manual with replacement filter.  The oil level always covered the glass, but I figured that’s what they called for😯.  Since the change I put on 1000 miles.  

Yesterday, I put my new RR Spring on the rear shock, lubed the bearings and bushings on the suspension linkage and then figured I have a go at the oil level again. Checked it cold, completely covered. Removed some ok oil, too much, added enough to raise it not quite to top line. Ran motor (first time I saw empty window. Stopped, it drained to fill window completely again. Drained  it back to just not quite to bottom fill mark.  Put 100 miles on it today and it filled back to same spot as my last fill. 

I know this is exciting reading, but between my experience and others I’ve seen, you’d think it would be more straightforward.  The one positive is This experience will definitely help when I do the next change.  I’ll start with 2.5 qts and go from there. 

4 hours ago, DT675 said:

I now see this question looks to be posted twice? 

Yep, I replied to the other identical post yesterday.

• Moderators

Merged double posted topic into this thread.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS