Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Protective films over gas tank

Jollyman

Hey everybody,

I recently purchased a tank bag for the T7 (Giant loop Diablo) and wanted to apply some kind of clear protective vinyl prior to installing it.  Giant Loop makes some 12mm clear vinyl sheets and there's a lot of other DIY solutions out there where I could by a sheet or roll of material and cut it to fit.  Wondered if anyone has any experience with pre-cut solutions for the T7 specifically?  I know many companies sell sticker sheets for the T7 but I haven't seen any of those that are just clear vinyl material.  Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance!

I just went through it, there were once clear pre-cut sheets from SKDA available, but now they only seem to sell "real" decals.

After some research, I purchased a small roll of 3M 8591E film (.35mm thick). Application was not too complicated (having watched some yt vids before). The result is not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

Thanks Tenerider!  I did reach out to SKDA-US and it seems they can still produce the clear decals out of the same material they use for their stickers but they said they're not the same as a PPF or other paint protection material...I took that to mean, not as thick, not as tough...or just harder to work with.

Initially, I did try the 3m vinyl but made a mess of things...and then ran out of material.  I think I'll try it again and this time make a pattern for the pieces I need and cut them out individually.

Appreciate the help, happy riding!

Edited by Jollyman
  • Like 1

Oh yes, I also had cut some smaller pieces, and still messed it up 😅

I decided only to cover those areas where the straps run. Luckily, my Mosko Nomax sits mostly on the tank grip pad.

Good luck with it!

I went with the bagster cover, very grippy and stylish.  You can sit your lid on it, or the gas cap, and they wont fall off.  You can even hook your sunglasses in the upper hoop if you don't use them to attach a dedicated bag.

BAGSTER.-03.jpg.6c3cce5a1eb77fbc9862e9f1e7f74d46.jpg

247690286_bagstercover-1.jpg.3db43abeb9de9dfa69bb30f3340258cb.jpg

I'm using a Giant Loop Fandango tankbag on my T7's Acerbis 23 liter tank. Upon removing the bag's mounting harness/base when I washed the bike after the base had been on continuously for about 2,000 miles the Acerbis's plastic had lots of abrasions from dust and dirt.

This didn't bother me at all, but just posting this because I think scratch protection on the OEM tank if leaving a GL base installed for a long time is a very good idea.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys....  I ended up making a ROUGH pattern of the tank this weekend and ordered more clear vinyl....it probably won't look very pretty but I'm just hoping to protect the paint under the bag so I think its fine.  Going to Moab in a couple weeks...I'll report back after that.

• Like 1