Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

ABS off road

Alan M

On 9/15/2022 at 2:50 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

It is possible when going downhill but i don't know from what angle that starts, the test went down about 45dg hill on a practice track.
Some have a rear ABS delete which i might do also because on a flat road the ABS won't lock up.

Ok, so I tried this today on gravel and grass, up hill, downhill and on the level. With the ABS on the rear will not lock up so I'm not sure what your instructor was doing.

Good news is I have found a solution to switching the ABS on and off on the fly. To be more accurate, 'TimeMachine' found the solution. I found an old thread from last year on a similar subject and 'TimeMachine' mentioned if you remove the 20A fuse (fuse 1) from the ABS solenoid it disables the ABS but crucially it does not bring up an ECU fault, it only lights the ABS warning light which is ideal as this gives you an indication on the state of the system.

My plan is to rewire this fuse through a relay which will be controlled by a bar mounted switch. My work is a bit busy at the moment but hopefully I'll get a chance later next month to complete the mod. I'll post up details in case anyone else fancies this.

Cheers.

On 9/17/2022 at 5:00 PM, Alan M said:

With the ABS on the rear will not lock up so I'm not sure what your instructor was doing.

Maybe the hill was not steep enough?
What modelyear do you have? Might be another EURO 4 and 5 change caused by the more and more meddling of the governments because "safety" without knowing what they're talking about.

59 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Maybe the hill was not steep enough?
What modelyear do you have? Might be another EURO 4 and 5 change caused by the more and more meddling of the governments because "safety" without knowing what they're talking about.

As far as I know the T7 ABS system is pretty basic, not cornering ABS so wouldn’t require angle sensors. I can’t see why the angle of the hill would make a difference.

Best to just do what I done and try it for yourself then you’ll know.