Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Down shifting problems

Jeffer

Has anyone experienced when downshifting from 4th to first quickly the transmission gets stuck in false neutral between gears?? Only way get to next gear is slipping clutch a little. Very odd.. dealer says will look at after 1000 miles. If still happening 

21 minutes ago, Jeffer said:

Has anyone experienced when downshifting from 4th to first quickly the transmission gets stuck in false neutral between gears?? Only way get to next gear is slipping clutch a little. Very odd.. dealer says will look at after 1000 miles. If still happening 

Are you doing your downshifting at a standstill? If so that will be your issue. A sequential motorcycle gearbox is meant to go up and down through the gears whilst in motion m, so the gear box gear’s dogs can spin to align.
The T7 box is a little tight/notchy when new but it feels massively better after its first oil change to a nice synthetic.

• Like 1

No  happens rolling to a stop. It seems that the more i ride it the less often it happens. Hopefully it's a break in thing

Make sure your shifter is getting full travel downshifting as the Heim joint can hit the foot peg mount plates if adjusted too low.

If the clearance is good, the bike will shift better after an oil change and few more miles.  My bike has 20,700 miles and shift great up and down.

It seems to be common around 1000 miles / 1600 km - that's when mine started doing it, especially when using engine braking and shifting down. Tends to happen only when the engine is already hot.

Now at roughly 6000 km it happens only very occasionally, the clutch plates seem to settle in. As others said, oil change might help (in another thread regarding this problem someone recommended full syn oil).

BTW, my dealer said it's "normal" for motorcycles (obviously he didn't know what I was talking about).

8 hours ago, Jeffer said:

Has anyone experienced when downshifting from 4th to first quickly the transmission gets stuck in false neutral between gears?? Only way get to next gear is slipping clutch a little.

I have exactly the same problem. My T7 has almost 20.000 km, 2 oil changes, the last one with Motul 7100 10W-40. It's a little bit better than before, but it's still sucks. Really annoying especially while commuting where I have to stop or almost stop a lot.

My experience is that no dealer and almost no person take the time to adjust the controls.

Most people who do most of the riding offroad will do it but when it's a mix and especially when that's the most onroad not.

It doesn't fix it all but it does help a lot.

4 hours ago, Ichnusa said:

I have exactly the same problem. My T7 has almost 20.000 km, 2 oil changes, the last one with Motul 7100 10W-40. It's a little bit better than before, but it's still sucks. Really annoying especially while commuting where I have to stop or almost stop a lot.

Mine still under warranty..im going to give dealer a call. Because how ridiculous sitting at a green light and can't get my new bike in gear

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Jeffer said:

My bike, in the 11K miles I've ridden it, has only exhibited this problem twice.   Both times it was due to multiple quick downshifts that got the gearbox confused.  I normally blip the throttle and use engine braking in each gear to decelerate and along with running synthetic or semi-synthetic oil, the issue hasn't reappeared.  Yes, I drag the rear brake to alert following traffic I'm stopping,  but with the sweet sound of the Camel pipe, I just can't simply mash a bunch of gears and fully stop with brakes. 😉

As you get more miles on the bike and change to a synthetic oil, your problem should go away and using the blip downshift method will surely fix it. My .02.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I've got about 1200 miles on my bike (one oil change with synthetic) and I experience this issue pretty frequently....(every couple rides?)  I usually experience during downshifting and typically under 15mph.  ...releasing clutch lever and re-engaging solves it each time.  It's annoying and was startling at first but I've gotten used to it.  It does seem to happen more when hot...   It's been mentioned on this forum and others and no one seems to have a "fix" so I'm going to continue to put miles on and see if it goes away as others have mentioned.

Happens to me often. I’m at 7500mi and use synthetic oil. 

every yamaha I’ve owned had a notchy gearbox. It’s annoying at times but I’m not too stressed about it. Everything else with Yamahas is bomb-proof. 

54,000 km on my T7, non-synth 10W-40 Yamalube. It hasn't happened very often, but when it did, if I was coming to a stop it seemed to be because I didn't take my toe completely off the shifter between downshifts. Lift my boot off the shifter and it would downshift just fine.

If already stopped and it doesn't want to go into first gear, I let out the clutch to the engagement point, roll forward a few inches, pull in the clutch again and it shifts into first no problem.

Edited by Uncle M
  • Like 1

The dealer was right, in a way, in that they do loosen up after run in, and have for most of us. Some have found lowering the oil level slightly to help, with the correct amount on refil. Make sure clutch is adjusted correctly. Try different amounts of play. After the run in and oil change. I think some dealers assemble the bikes better than others. After first service, check everything against the manual available on here, all the way down to chain tension. 
my throttle play was massive when I picked my bike up. And the grip wasn’t installed well, and throttle tube rattled around. 

It’ll never be super slick fireblade smooth though. 

18 saat önce Jeffer şunları söyledi:

4. vitesten ilke hızlı bir şekilde vites küçültürk şanzıman vitesler arasında yanlış boşta kalıyor mu? Bir vitese geçmenin tek yolu debriyajı biraz kaydırmaktır. Çok garip.. bayi 1000 km sonra bakacağını söylüyor. hala oluyorsa 

İ have the same problem may be there is no problem so i took it to the authorized service and they Said everything was normal but its annoying 

I think the problem comes from pulling in the clutch and downshifting while coasting, clutch held in. The sequential gearbox wants to engage each gear "sequentially". From the owners manual:

image.png.7b29a1e04e59c1ed624412b8ee4e8c98.png

I realize that the instructions could be read many ways, however, I don't have any issues when I release the clutch in each successive gear. If I coast up with the clutch held in from a high gear, sometimes hangs up needing the clutch slip occur. I consider this notmal behavior as other bikes i have owned have behaved this way as well. YMMV  

• Like 3

That was one of the several issues I had with my clutch. I pulled it out and it was completely dry. I soaked the fibers in oil and reassembled it and all my clutch issues have disappeared. It went from one of the worst shifting bikes ive owned( and ive owned over 45) to now one of the best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

That was one of the several issues I had with my clutch. I pulled it out and it was completely dry. I soaked the fibers in oil and reassembled it and all my clutch issues have disappeared. It went from one of the worst shifting bikes ive owned( and ive owned over 45) to now one of the best.

Interesting, but makes sense with yamaha rushing these bikes into production. Huge demand. My shock linkage pins all dry!,wheels axels bone dry! I've had new bikes before and they always thin coating grease. Not this one. They probably throw in clutch bone dry.

Just clicking down several gears with clutch pulled in either when at standstill or if  coasting is a bad habit.  Blip throttle and gear down one at a time. 

• Like 4

Any other bike I owned had no problem with clicking down several gears while riding fast, slow or even standing.

• Like 1

Everybody says Honda is smooth but my CT also doesn't shift perfect. Someone on the CT forum called it a "agricultural transmission".

The T7 is not too bad when you blip the throttle at the right moment with downshifting.
Up i do often without the clutch and without a quickshifter but also down sometimes.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Ichnusa said:

Any other bike I owned had no problem with clicking down several gears while riding fast, slow or even standing.

You're fortunate.  My experience is the exact opposite, hence I follow the "blip" downshift in each gear method.  I shift like @Ray Ride4life noted above and actually think the T7 has one of the more compliant gearboxes for " no clutch" shifts.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 2 weeks later...

I had a downshifting problem, different than the OP's.   After a few highway miles I pulled into a town and it wouldn't downshift past 3rd or 4th no matter what I tried.   I pulled over and dinked around with it and it seemed to be OK.   It happened one more time, but cured itself again.   Cooling off a little cured it?

2 possibilities that I can think of:

Fresh oil change (~300 miles when trouble 1st occured), and I mixed some oils, Rotella & Yamalube.  

I rode in a hard rain, and it sat out in a hard rain overnight, maybe the linkage was dry?

I finished my ride, almost 1000 mi, and it seems fine now.

Any ideas?