Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OEM Chain closed. Remove swing arm?

Oxxa

Question

Hello fellow riders,

I got the OEM chain for T7 and its close ended.

The dealer said they remove the swing arm to fit it, and that sounds stupid.

Should I do that? Or break the chain? and order a DID 525 chain link (pre-greased) found in the below link?

Any help is appreciated.

525DID-KS-ZVMX-MN-SF-DID-525-ZVMX-Massiv

Solid-rivet Masterlock for securely locking the DID 525 ZVMX chains. Chain : DID 525 ZVMX Link type : Solid-rivet link Chain size : 525 /…

76E3E13E-D301-47E5-A40C-85D7A9305F28.jpeg

AD5F0DD6-A886-49AE-9F99-04E937EC697A.jpeg

Edited by Oxxa

16 answers to this question

Either style of chain is fine. As you have the Yamaha one right now, it would be a good time to take the swingarm off and grease all the linkage.

• Like 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

47 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Either style of chain is fine. As you have the Yamaha one right now, it would be a good time to take the swingarm off and grease all the linkage.

So you propose to not break the chain i just got?

I can't imagine removing the swingarm to remove a chain and install a new one. Doesn't take very long to press out a link, remove the chain and then stake the pins on a new chain using the proper tool.

Here's the chain tool I've owned for years and have used on numerous bikes:

EDIT: Below is the tool I own; earlier I'd erroreously linked to a different tool from Motion Pro.

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Edited by jdub53
Corrected link

3 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

I can't imagine removing the swingarm to remove a chain and install a new one. Doesn't take very long to press out a link, remove the chain and then stake the pins on a new chain using the proper tool.

Here's the chain tool I've owned for years and have used on numerous bikes:

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Does this tool also round the head of the chain link after the new install 

4 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

Does this tool also round the head of the chain link after the new install 

Yes, it does. 

• Moderators

Moved from General Discussion 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

6 hours ago, Oxxa said:

So you propose to not break the chain i just got?

Correct!

Plenty of guys have posted on here that their swing arm pivot and shock linkage had little to no grease on it from the factory. Now is a good time to lube yours and put the new chain on. I have nothing against a chain with a master link, but you already have the continuous chain from yamaha.

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

On 10/2/2022 at 2:56 AM, Hogan said:

It's not actually that hard to do.

"Remove the swingarm" sounds serious, but all you are doing is removing the bolt through the frame, then moving the swingarm out of the way so you can get the old chain off and the new chain on. IMO it isn't any harder, or takes any longer than using chain breakers & riveting tools.

You do need to support the bike properly though. You can jack it up from beneath the engine, but you also need to tie the front wheel down to the ground so all the weight can be taken off the rear wheel. Also remember to loosen/remove the brake hose and speed sensor wires (and anything else) so you don't damage them when moving the swingarm.

And yes, it's also a good time to lube up the swing arm & shock linkage bearings.

Sounds good.

What kind of lube is recommended for greasing rear linkage?

13 hours ago, Oxxa said:

Sounds good.

What kind of lube is recommended for greasing rear linkage?

Read the manual. Lithium based grease. Use one with Moly.

Many waterproof greases - e.g. BelRay are Aluminium base. 

Don't mix the base greases; the oils may quickly separate and leave a hard filler behind.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2022 at 2:45 AM, Hogan said:

Any "general purpose" lithium grease.

You could use High Temp or water resistant greases, it actually doesn't really matter on swingarm bearings

Water resistant grease is a good idea if you intend to ride through a lot of water.

Thanks! How about for cleaning the bearings before re-greasing? What’s the recommended cleaner?

51 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

Thanks! How about for cleaning the bearings before re-greasing? What’s the recommended cleaner?

I would wipe everything down with kerosene or mineral spirits and re-grease.  

7 hours ago, Oxxa said:

For the suspension link, swing arm and wheel bearings I just add more grease unless evidence of water ingress. If evidence of water I will clean.

Small motion needle bearings like on the swing arm or suspension knuckle I use Lithium base with Moly. Wheel bearings I'll use lithium grease without moly.

Wipe off the seals and spacers to clean the crud off  and re-grease before reassembly.  

• Like 1

Here ou have a guide, but I guess you already replaced it.
Don't forget to loosen the front sprocket nut before removing the rear wheel, pressing rear brake (being in Numeral).
A good impact driver would make easy work of it. 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 12:23 AM, JJS209 said:

Remove the swingarm and install the new chain. thats the way.

I vote for this. Why break a factory sealed chain? You don't have take the swing arm completely off. Release the main bolt (the one holding the swing arm to the chassis) and move the swing arm back so that you are able to install the chain.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced