Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Single front disc conversion?

al700

Has anyone gone single disc on the front? Was it plug b play or needed serious modifications? I think the Kapriony team went that route but they also got different fork set up from a wr450...so they may have copied the whole of the 450 front...let's hear or see your single disc mod...

What are the benefits of single disc conversion... I'm using my bike on the road only and can't see this being a mod for road users. 

Less weight, but how about stopping power.? 

• Like 1

My single 330mm disc Ducati Desert Sled felt it had more braking power. I don't know if it had bigger pistons or caliper. The Tenere 700 had a more off-road biased front brake...it feels like not much stopping power. The single disc offers weight reduction mainly...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, al700 said:

My single 330mm disc Ducati Desert Sled felt it had more braking power. I don't know if it had bigger pistons or caliper. The Tenere 700 had a more off-road biased front brake...it feels like not much stopping power. The single disc offers weight reduction mainly...

I think the pads on the T7  do not have enough bite in them...It is softer on the initial bite but I still think it has good stopping power just needs more effort... I am happy at the moment but will consider getting other pads in the future... One disc on the Husky 701 was very nice as well and had plenty of stopping power.

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to find out if the brembo calipers that we are using is the same as the ones used on the ktm or other dirt bikes but in a single disc application....

Caliper spacer and 320mm dual disc would be a great mod for immense stopping power. 

But I'm being unsuccessful in my search.. Anyone? 

• Like 1

I too would like to find a single disk setup with 320mm rotor. That can provide plenty of stopping power and save a couple of kilos of unsprung weight. My intended use is mostly offroad and my bike will be much lighter than standard.

Having said that, the standard front pads and twin rotors are very good for off road. When I tackled some steep rocky trails I had extraordinary modulation of the front brake. Would not wish to lose that level of control.

• Like 6

Twalcom from Italy will soon offer a single disc setup...with many rally options...

Unless the OEM caliper has bolts that go thru the caliper block rather than being secured via tabs you will not be able to add a "spacer" to move the caliper outward more to fit a 320mm rotors... 

Thru block style

s-l400.jpg.f26b5c458709e272ea666d6d182cc6d4.jpg

Tab style

293306647_s-l400(1).jpg.eca6430ec8b7732fcc26a29aa630d2f3.jpg

• Like 1

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

This was the setup I'm referring to... Looks doable on our brembo calipers as I think they are used on more than one bike... Not an expert but if they are used on ktm exc series we might be in luck and its not such a big deal to have brackets made or even find them on the shelf. 

Aleks 

Screenshot_20200306-081722.jpg

HH pads and bleed the lines good... maybe less than 1 outta 100 bikes on the MT-07 forum we get ppl finding an air bubble or two trapped on the front brake line that goes over the fender... all hail the MightyVac pump!!!

I'm curious to see how this 320mm conversion goes- it's not a mod I have seen done yet in the MT-07 forum... granted both rotors are staying vs going single rotor but the 320mm conversion still applys...

Edited by norcal616

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

I've done the 320mm conversion on my BMW R80G/s it's adequate but a lot better than the std disc.

However I'm still using the std caliper so that would be the limiting factor.

I'm sure with a twin or tripple pot it would be much better.

If you have the right caliper or suitable bracket it's a simple job.

On 3/6/2020 at 12:48 PM, norcal616 said:

HH pads and bleed the lines good... maybe less than 1 outta 100 bikes on the MT-07 forum we get ppl finding an air bubble or two trapped on the front brake line that goes over the fender... all hail the MightyVac pump!!!

I'm curious to see how this 320mm conversion goes- it's not a mod I have seen done yet in the MT-07 forum... granted both rotors are staying vs going single rotor but the 320mm conversion still applys...

Is there maybe a bolt on disc in 300 320mm that we can use from yamaha range of bikes? 

And space the caliper.. Twin disc 300mm or 320 on my SM wheels would be very good 🤔

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Is there maybe a bolt on disc in 300 320mm that we can use from yamaha range of bikes? 

And space the caliper.. Twin disc 300mm or 320 on my SM wheels would be very good 🤔

If you look the entire depth area sweep of the discs are not used in contact with shallow brake pads. Not sure if MT-07 pads are broader but a broader deeper pad contacting the entire depth of the discs would be sufficiently more brake bite for 17” road wheels for supermoto road riding.

7 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Plenty of racers on the MT/FZ-07 forum put HH pads on, bleed brakes and call it good using stock setup... 

• Like 1

Just now, norcal616 said:

Plenty of racers on the MT/FZ-07 forum put HH pads on, bleed brakes and call it good using stock setup... 

Thanks for that..I will upgrade the pads to HH as well as it is cheapest mod and maybe upgrade to braided lines 😄 

5 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Thanks for that..I will upgrade the pads to HH as well as it is cheapest mod and maybe upgrade to braided lines 😄 

Personally I never felt the need- but everyone is different...

Poorly adjusted suspension in my experience makes brakes feel like they lack power due to the bikes suspension soaking up all stopping power... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gents after a bit of research I've come up with the following.. 

5vy brake discs from yamaha r1 have the same hole pcd and are 320mm diameter.. 

All we need to make is a bracket that looks like the one I've attached... 

There is an r6 disc as well that has the same pattern but it is 300mm diameter.. 

I will stay with twin setup as I like the looks more... 

What do people think of this... 

Bracket that could fit but its not 100 percent is from tm supermoto 60mm centres for brembo caliper.. But this is just for one sided only. 

Hope this helps some people who are interested.

Aleks 

Screenshot_20200330-132829.jpg

Screenshot_20200329-233611.jpg

If you combine a single 320mm disc with steel brake hoses i think you'll be fine!

Maybe use a Brembo radial master cylinder:

Brembo_Racing_10476080l.jpg

Edited by Bad Pritt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bad Pritt said:

If you combine a single 320mm disc with steel brake hoses i think you'll be fine!

Maybe use a Brembo radial master cylinder:

Brembo_Racing_10476080l.jpg

Yes probably enough braking power.. Would be interesting to see from what weight the one disc solution starts to be a weak link... 

I'm probably going to change pads after I have put some miles on the new setup.. But the looks of 320mm discs with 17 inch wheel is very nice and must offer some outstanding stopping power. 

• 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

My new conversion 320mm!

Brake calliper adapter from MotoSwiss and disk from Moto-Master. You can check the bike on Intermot 2022 (K&N stand)

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So decided to give a single caliper conversion a shot on the T7 while swapping to my new Dubya front rim.  I was hoping to find a good donor Brake caliper that was just a bit stronger that would bolt up but came up blank.  Given the smallish diameter of the front rotors I knew I'd want to move up to a 320mm rotor.  Rather than spend a huge amount time trying to piece things together I opted to go with some after market off the shelf solutions:

1) Motoswiss T700 OffRoad Conversion Half-kit: Cointains the Brake caliper adapter too relocate the stock caliper out further and the brake lines to do the single caliper conversion, Plus the brake line & plug to do the rear ABS delete. 

2) Galfer DF475CW Wave Floating Front Rotor.

3) New front MC (TBD, stock of course moves way too much fluid to work well with the single caliper)

Mounted the Galfer DF475CW rotor onto the new Dubya wheel. Pulled the old front wheel off the bike and transferred the ABS ring to the new front wheel.  pulled the old brake lines. Mounted the Motoswiss adapter onto the caliper and ran the new brake lines. Got the new wheel mounted.  Everything went smoothly however it was a tight fit between the caliper adapter and the rotor. A few spins of the tire and I could tell there was a little interference.  Checked everything twice, still had rubbing going on that I knew was not brake pads. Took it for a short spin since it wasn't too bad to see if it would clean up or not and if not, get some witness marks to guide me for fine tuning the fit. 

20230112_211818.jpg.ff1d9512a4b13927a1e032bc02b3f269.jpg

Came back into the garage and have some wear going on for sure.  It looks like the adapter doesn't quite line up with the rotor properly.  I've got some aluminum powder around the adapter so I'll have the marks I need to see exactly where the problem is once I pull the caliper off.  I don't think it's insurmountable. One of the hazards of adding after market parts from multiple manufacturers is that's it's pretty common for things to not quite mesh together right.  An aftermarket hub & wheel sacers, aftermarket Caliper adapter & and an after market brake rotor appears to have created just enough combined variance it's going to need  some attention.

For those  interested -  The OEM wheel with fairly fresh Rallz Tire, std weight tube, plus the caliper and hoses removed from the bike weighed 31 lbs. The new wheel with 320mm rotor installed, wheel spacers, ABS ring, new Motoz I/T front tire & heavy weight tube weighed 22.6 lbs.

Net weight off bike - 8.4lbs (3.8 kilos)

I'll post up once I have the wrinkles ironed out. If I don't like it? I'll throw the OEM calipers on the new wheel and remount the right side caliper and brake lines. 

'

• Like 2

I have a single rotor kit with rear ABS delete form Stoltec on it's way, expect it here early next week (is at the customs).
I bought an EBC disk to go with it.

• Like 1