Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

YSS 20mm open cartridge kit anyone?

EzzySurf

Any thoughts or experiences with this kit? It looks to be very reasonable priced

1926287217.jpg

YSS front fork open cartridge kit CO208-920TRC-01 for Yamaha Tenere 700 DM07 DM08 DM11 19-23.The YSS suspension open cartridge kits are high end products, similar to the ones YSS uses in World Supersport road...

I am surprised they use a 20mm cartridge and 8mm shaft.

Most aftermarket cartridges that go with the compression in one leg and rebound in the other are up sized to bigger cartridge and piston.

I think rally Raid are 35mm cartridges, ohlins uses 30mm I think and not sure on the others available.  

They look like a nice kit but personally I would want something using bigger diameter pistons.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, williestreet said:

I am surprised they use a 20mm cartridge and 8mm shaft.

Most aftermarket cartridges that go with the compression in one leg and rebound in the other are up sized to bigger cartridge and piston.

I think rally Raid are 35mm cartridges, ohlins uses 30mm I think and not sure on the others available.  

They look like a nice kit but personally I would want something using bigger diameter pistons.

Don't fall for the marketing.  I have the 35mm pressurized cartridges, had to revalve them 3 times to suit. It was a nightmare for the tuner with the digressive piston.

2x20mm pistons have more control over the oil flow than a single 35mm piston, the only positive about the single piston is that you only have to touch one screw to regulate instead of two.

Every top notch suspension has double regulation, WP cone valves, KYB A KIt, Ohlins RXF etc... it's normally amateur stuff  that uses single regulations to allow user a more quick and friendly regulation.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, powder said:

Don't fall for the marketing.  I have the 35mm pressurized cartridges, had to revalve them 3 times to suit. It was a nightmare for the tuner with the digressive piston.

2x20mm pistons have more control over the oil flow than a single 35mm piston, the only positive about the single piston is that you only have to touch one screw to regulate instead of two.

Every top notch suspension has double regulation, WP cone valves, KYB A KIt, Ohlins RXF etc... it's normally amateur stuff  that uses single regulations to allow user a more quick and friendly regulation.

I get what you are saying and don't disagree, but the forks kits in question are single 20mm for compression in the left leg and right leg is rebound.

I am sure they can be made to work, but I haven't seen any other stay with 20mm pistons when they do compression in one leg and rebound in the other.

The only one I can think of is Traxxion AK 20's, in which I believe he has compression and rebound in both legs but only one is adjustable in each fork.

Maybe they are doing something similar with these forks and the reason they are staying with 20mm pistons.

On 10/20/2022 at 11:49 PM, williestreet said:

I get what you are saying and don't disagree, but the forks kits in question are single 20mm for compression in the left leg and right leg is rebound.

I am sure they can be made to work, but I haven't seen any other stay with 20mm pistons when they do compression in one leg and rebound in the other.

The only one I can think of is Traxxion AK 20's, in which I believe he has compression and rebound in both legs but only one is adjustable in each fork.

Maybe they are doing something similar with these forks and the reason they are staying with 20mm pistons.

You are right, this YSS does not have double pistons, my mistake by assuming.

Stock forks have double regulation, although internals are of basic quality with no anodizing and poor shimstack design. 

K-Tech Cartridges are 20mm and have double piston regulation top and bottom.

Andreani Rally have 20mm pistons and double regulation in compression and single in rebound.