Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Street tires on Tenere 700

oorizohar

I have my T7 for few months now and 2500 miles, and I absolutely hate this motorcycle, the way it rides on the highway and road, especially in windy days, which we have a lot  in the desert, even at 20mph gusts the bike is all over the road and really you just move your head, the bike moves from one side of the lane to the other. I have other bikes, same roads, same winds, tons of miles in the same environment, nothing behaves like this. I saw comments on youtube annoyed with wind and buffeting as well, but I have a feeling a lot of it is the front tire, did anyone try to put street tires on the Tenere 700 and what was the difference? I am wiling to give up off road ability as the T7 is just useless to me on road, obviously many travel all over the world with it so I wonder if I change the tires, whether or not it would make a big difference? maybe Bridgestone Battle Wing that are on the Super tenere would be better? Any ideas before I give up and trade it in ? Thanks

It is a very tall bike... and light for its size. Ya, the wind will kick it around.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I have the T700 and a Super Tenere…….my S10 is always going to be more stable in any kind of wind compared to the T700.  I did slide the front fork tubes up a total of 25mm/1 inch on my T700 to quicken up the steering slightly.  I haven’t noticed any instability on my T700 over the 21,000 miles I’ve ridden it.

BTW, I am a fan of Battle Wings on my S10, but run Shinko 705s on the T700.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think you really need to ask yourself "Why did I buy this bike?". I went thru a sport touring faze were I owned a FJR1300, a Kawaski Concours  14, and a Triumph Trophy. All were very capable bikes  in their own right but they just didn't agree with me, so I ended up getting rid of them. I bought the T7 for a specific reason and although not perfect from the start, I have altered it to my liking and use. If you don't use it off road, street tires will help, but at speed it will still be somewhat unstable with a bit of headshake. Mine acts twitchy on the road over rain grooved roads and tar snakes but it handles very well off road, my designated intent. You may just find yourself better of with a VStrom 650, a much more stable bike and better suited for the street. There are many choices today in the motorcycle market and sometimes we just have to try different flavors to figure out which one we like.

37 minutes ago, Svrider said:

I think you really need to ask yourself "Why did I buy this bike?". I went thru a sport touring faze were I owned a FJR1300, a Kawaski Concours  14, and a Triumph Trophy. All were very capable bikes  in their own right but they just didn't agree with me, so I ended up getting rid of them. I bought the T7 for a specific reason and although not perfect from the start, I have altered it to my liking and use. If you don't use it off road, street tires will help, but at speed it will still be somewhat unstable with a bit of headshake. Mine acts twitchy on the road over rain grooved roads and tar snakes but it handles very well off road, my designated intent. You may just find yourself better of with a VStrom 650, a much more stable bike and better suited for the street. There are many choices today in the motorcycle market and sometimes we just have to try different flavors to figure out which one we like.

The guy only has one post so he may have sold the bike and moved on already.

• Like 2

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / TDR 250 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Simmons1 said:

The guy only has one post so he may have sold the bike and moved on already.

Precisely. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS