Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Front end not aligned with handlebar

Onehandoctupus

Question

Hi folks, am I being paranoid or is my bike's front end not aligned with handlebar? 

everything was good until I had a rear puncture last week. I rode for about 5 miles under low rear pressure. I had to turn my handlebar to left to go straight.

Had the rear tyre replaced yesterday. Then I noticed that the handle bar was not aligned with the front end very very slightly. I've attached a picture to illustrate this (tried my best effort):
As you can see, I put the handle bar parallel with the tank, then the whole front end (side fairing, panel, wind shield etc. in the red rectangle) are slightly off and not parallel with the handle bar. When I ride straight, the part in the red rectangle points to the left slightly.

Took my bike to a local garage and they said they couldn't see any issues. 

Any idea why and how to fix it? 

Screenshot 2022-10-19 at 12.41.52.png

5 answers to this question

• Moderators

@Onehandoctupus Welcome to the forum.  While you didn't drop your bike to have the alignment issue, this YT tutorial should help you solve the issue.   My bet is that your fork risers are slightly skewed or the bars may have been bent previously.  Let us know what you find.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

17 hours ago, Onehandoctupus said:

Hi folks, am I being paranoid or is my bike's front end not aligned with handlebar? 

everything was good until I had a rear puncture last week. I rode for about 5 miles under low rear pressure. I had to turn my handlebar to left to go straight.

Had the rear tyre replaced yesterday. Then I noticed that the handle bar was not aligned with the front end very very slightly. I've attached a picture to illustrate this (tried my best effort):
As you can see, I put the handle bar parallel with the tank, then the whole front end (side fairing, panel, wind shield etc. in the red rectangle) are slightly off and not parallel with the handle bar. When I ride straight, the part in the red rectangle points to the left slightly.

Took my bike to a local garage and they said they couldn't see any issues. 

Any idea why and how to fix it? 

Screenshot 2022-10-19 at 12.41.52.png

Bars can get out of alignment if you drop the bike, especially if the bars are rubber mounted.

Try turning your bars to  full left lock, then reef on the bars to the left some more. Check if the bars are then more centred to your taste. If you go too far then turn bars to full right lock and reef them back a bit.

Your bike can be slightly out of alignment if the rear wheel was not centered with the axle/chain adjusters when the rear tire flat was repaired.  I measure the distance from the center of the axle and swingarm pivot bolt on both sides and make sure the distance is the same.  The alignment marks on the axle end of the swingarm are not always accurate.

Also, it might be aligned and various fairing bits/winglets/windscreen are slightly misaligned………there is enough room in the mounting points to move the attachment points up to 1/16” or so in different directions.  The winglets on my never dropped bike look slightly different from the seat.

Edited by whisperquiet

On 10/19/2022 at 2:34 PM, AZJW said:

@Onehandoctupus Welcome to the forum.  While you didn't drop your bike to have the alignment issue, this YT tutorial should help you solve the issue.   My bet is that your fork risers are slightly skewed or the bars may have been bent previously.  Let us know what you find.

Thanks fore sharing my content 🙂

• Thanks 1