Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Need help removing sidestand!

Oxxa

How do I remove the side stand with the OEM center stand installed?

The frame mount of the center stand gets gets in the way of the main bolts so I cannot fit any tools to unscrew the bolts of sidestand.

If the only solution is removing the center stand mount then im fucked.

edit: the center stand mount is on the way, so the center stand being up or down has now effect.

SOLUTION edit #2: Check new image attachment. Managed to remove them with a 2 centimeter 10mm allen key that I cut to fit in the tight space.

E117912D-4799-48CE-A1F2-93D670EE020E.jpeg

F1FAC95A-DD5C-4CD9-A7BF-34E421CAD8F4.jpeg

Edited by Oxxa
Solution

Not sure how far it comes out to interfere with the centre stand bolt and nut but you can get in there with a cut down Allen key. It will take a bit of time with little turns but should be ok. Use wd40 too, screw back in a little, and it should come out with fingers (and patience) then. 
another option, if you don’t have a lift, is to get it on the centrestand, then get blocks/axle stands under it. Lower the bike from stand to supports. Then (when it’s stable and secure) remove the centrestand nut and slightly slide the bolt out just enough for clearance. Strap the front brake lever up too. 
do the work. Refit centrestand, lift it back on. Boom. 
might even find just removing the nut on the centrestand gives just enough clearance. 

Edited by Dougie

20 hours ago, Oxxa said:

How do I remove the side stand with the OEM center stand installed?

The frame mount of the center stand gets gets in the way of the main bolts so I cannot fit any tools to unscrew the bolts of sidestand.

If the only solution is removing the center stand mount then im fucked.

E117912D-4799-48CE-A1F2-93D670EE020E.jpeg

Is the centre stand out of the way when it is raised? If yes, then lean & tie your bike against a wall.

or use a swingarm bike stand, thats what I used. Then remove the center stand nut/bolt on that side for added access.

i had to remove the center stand mount to get to those bolts. 

I had to be creative with getting the bike lifted but i wasn't thinking out of the box and came up with the sketchiest way.  If you have an A ladder, use that and ratchet up the bike.

On 10/20/2022 at 7:19 PM, Black99S said:

Is the centre stand out of the way when it is raised? If yes, then lean & tie your bike against a wall.

The center stand mount is on the way, closing or opening the center stand has no impact. Removing this mount requires unscrewing three bolts that are deep to reach.

On 10/19/2022 at 10:14 PM, Dougie said:

Not sure how far it comes out to interfere with the centre stand bolt and nut but you can get in there with a cut down Allen key. It will take a bit of time with little turns but should be ok. Use wd40 too, screw back in a little, and it should come out with fingers (and patience) then. 
another option, if you don’t have a lift, is to get it on the centrestand, then get blocks/axle stands under it. Lower the bike from stand to supports. Then (when it’s stable and secure) remove the centrestand nut and slightly slide the bolt out just enough for clearance. Strap the front brake lever up too. 
do the work. Refit centrestand, lift it back on. Boom. 
might even find just removing the nut on the centrestand gives just enough clearance. 

I went and did what you said, a 2 cm allen key cut fit perfecty in that space as I have tested today, in a few days I will be able to try if it will work unscrewing the target bolt.

edit: worked perfectly. Thanks for the tip

Edited by Oxxa
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 3:34 AM, Hogan said:

Looks like the shifter, foot peg and sidestand are attached to one assembly you can remove via bolts from the outside

That would be very complicated because there’s much more to it than the outside bolts.