Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha USB Acc outlet install

WingVetteStrom

Anyone installed the Yamaha USB Accessory power supply on the port with the rubber cover made for it on the right side?

How am I supposed to string the cable and female connector out the bottom of the hole made for the USB power supply without have to cut out plastic the drop the cable and connector through?

Also what secures the port in the hole made for it without it just bouncing around?

IMG_6653.JPG

IMG_6652.JPG

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

Or do what I did and run a cable direct from the battery with an in line fuse. I didn't us a USB, but a Merit socket that will run a tyre pump. I used a piece of hard wire to thread the power wires through the frame and a small drop of superglue holds the socket in place. About 10 minutes work

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

6 hours ago, WingVetteStrom said:

Anyone installed the Yamaha USB Accessory power supply on the port with the rubber cover made for it on the right side?

How am I supposed to string the cable and female connector out the bottom of the hole made for the USB power supply without have to cut out plastic the drop the cable and connector through?

Also what secures the port in the hole made for it without it just bouncing around?

IMG_6653.JPG

IMG_6652.JPG

Did install instructions come with the kit?

I can't believe people make life hard for themselves :fpalm

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Ya, found the youtube video shortly after I posted the question.  I did the display and headlamp disassembly, but ridiculous just to install a power port.  Also,  I bought an eBay power port that said "Yamaha" as I thought it would plug directly into the accessory connector, but it didn't (as I hadn't disassembled plastic before I bought it to compare connectors), so had to cut off the accessory connector and fish the wires to the battery and spliced in a fuse.

Why do these engineers design bikes this way?

(And thank you for your comment Rider 101.)

Edited by WingVetteStrom

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2022 at 2:35 AM, Black99S said:

Remove side panels. Remove headlight assembly. Install. Connect. Reassemble. 
look for YouTube video on accessory socket install. 

thanks but what the video does not show is the electrical connection.

I need to install a CRAB USB for holding and charging the phone. it's easy to mount form the mechanical point of view but despite my degree (mechanical engineer) i'm far away from any electrical matter. The crab just has 2 wires, the black one goes to the battery (I presume) while the red must go to the ignition switch. But...where is the plug on the ignition switch?? Do I need any fuse in between?

===

www.xt600.club

20 minutes ago, Mg-racing said:

thanks but what the video does not show is the electrical connection.

I need to install a CRAB USB for holding and charging the phone. it's easy to mount form the mechanical point of view but despite my degree (mechanical engineer) i'm far away from any electrical matter. The crab just has 2 wires, the black one goes to the battery (I presume) while the red must go to the ignition switch. But...where is the plug on the ignition switch?? Do I need any fuse in between?

There’s a ton of tutorials on the forum I’m sure detailing the power connections on right and left side of the bike 

• Moderators

@Mg-racing

Here's some posts that should help.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

6 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@Mg-racing

Here's some posts that should help.

Are you all aware of Thunderbox for quick, easy and safe auxiliary power connections ? I just routes out the hole a little,ran the power wires from the side into and up to the usb port. Then pin tapped into the single power and ground I ran from the Thunderbox. Whole install took 10 minutes. 
here is my review of the thunderbox. 

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2022/02/15/healtech-electronics-thunderbox-review-electron-magic/amp/

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 8:08 AM, NeilW said:

Are you all aware of Thunderbox for quick, easy and safe auxiliary power connections ? I just routes out the hole a little,ran the power wires from the side into and up to the usb port. Then pin tapped into the single power and ground I ran from the Thunderbox. Whole install took 10 minutes. 
here is my review of the thunderbox. 

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2022/02/15/healtech-electronics-thunderbox-review-electron-magic/amp/

Great idea!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 9:08 PM, WingVetteStrom said:

Why do these engineers design bikes this way?

There is NOTHING wrong with the design. If they didn't enclose the front end then people would bitch about how unfinished the bike is-Better check your pump and make sure you have the correct fuse load for what that pump draws-

If you search, you'll find plug and play solution from Eastern Beaver and others that will drop in. Black SHOULD BE A GROUND and does not have to go to the battery.

The socket "should" have a collar of some sort (either threaded or press/snap on) that secures the plug to the dash from the under side-it should never just sit in the hole-

Edited by Firebolter

• 1 month later...

The T7 is among the easier bikes with a fairing to connect electrical bits to, easy to remove side panels with or without crash guards and even with the headlight removal as part of it. The ease of of it all doesn't have you 2nd guessing if you are going to break plastic locks or bits trying to the the panels off.

Took me about 40 odd mins to do the whole thing without losing my head or cursing the crap outta the manufacturer!

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |