Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Adventure Bike Truth

Hibobb

Check out this video on "Adventure" bikes. In my opinion, this guy is spot on.

The marketing guys have convinced us that 100-HP, 500-pound, 36" seat height motorcycles are fine for deep sand, muddy single tracks, jumps, etc....  More than a few guys on this site have sold their bikes after reality set in.

I am not bashing the T7, it is one of the better ADV bikes in my opinion. I love mine for what I use it for... mostly easy stuff. As I am old, and have saved a few of my old dual-sport bikes for doing challenging stuff, I am blessed with choices. I understand that this is not the case for everyone. 

I think anyone getting an Adventure bike should watch this video first. Share it with your buddies. Old guys with fat wallets want to relive their youth, but nothing can change time...

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 5

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I agree with both you and the video. I also think anyone dumb enough to just walk into a dealership and plop down cash for any of those big bikes based on just watching a video or looking at on-line ads is a fool if they think the bike will instantly turn them into a dirt rider.

I chuckled and shook my head at the guy in the open face helmet and the H-D jacket who apparently took a test ride Pan American off-road in something above his skill level, and when he dropped it muttered that now he'll have to buy it.

To me, my 125 hp R1200GS has a bunch of ride modes just because it has 125 hp and is heavy. I've ridden it a lot off road, but am smart enough to know where not to take either it or my T7. No single track or tight woods stuff like I used to do on lighter bikes, but with experience (and training helps too) both bikes are surprisingly capable. Since buying the T7 though I pretty much keep the GS on the road or easy forest road stuff and am loving life.

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 2

That's a pretty fair analysis of adventure bikes and how they are marketed. And seeing riders like Pol Tarres pushing their performance envelope is quite misleading. 

I'll be the first to admit that I was a bit disappointed in how difficult it is to ride the T7 offroad. Even with thousands of hours trail riding and racing motocross, I was stunned by how heavy it feels when not moving and how often I almost dropped it when stopping offroad. 

That said, I really love this bike, but partially for reasons I did not anticipate. It's so much fun riding around town and deceptively fast in the twisties (a big surprise for my sport bike friends!).

I have made a lot of changes to my T7 and it is very good off road now, but you have to remember that it is still  quite heavy.  It is OK on single track but shines on fire roads and dual track. 

• Like 3

Product usage in the most enviable situation, regardless of how unrealistic that situation might be, is advertising 101.    These bikes are no exception.

8 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

I'll be the first to admit that I was a bit disappointed in how difficult it is to ride the T7 offroad. Even with thousands of hours trail riding and racing motocross, I was stunned by how heavy it feels when not moving and how often I almost dropped it when stopping offroad. 

I think it's a matter of perception.  My T7 feels like an absolute mountain bike compared to my GSA 🙂

• Like 5

I had the same having a Honda Crosstourer.

Even compared by the XTZ660 he feels more offroad capable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, headwinded said:

I think it's a matter of perception.  My T7 feels like an absolute mountain bike compared to my GSA 🙂

Absolutely, now that I have tweaked the bike to my liking and have learned that it likes to be run fast offroad, it feels much more capable and fun. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

That Shonky Productions video is spot on!  The comment regarding multiple ride modes and hp was hilarious,  but fairly accurate.  Us, as riders ( generalizing here) are suckers for " more power" and when I added sportbikes next to dirtbikes in my garage, the more hp " need" was amplified.  The marketing departments know of this innate desire for power and capitalize on it with our wallets sometimes suffering needlessly.  

My T7 with it's " paltry" 72 hp at first was initially a letdown coming from a 145hp FJR. After riding it some in the intended environment,  dirt roads, some tame single-track and back roads with potholes,  I've come to realize that I really don't need 100+ hp to go where I want to go.  Yes, the author is correct, smaller, lighter with less hp is always a better choice when the going gets tough, but I'm learning the T7 and my limitations and try to choose bikes and trails accordingly. 

Thanks @Hibobbfor posting that, it's good stuff! 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I agree with the video except for the "Adventure" definition.  Depends really on how you define "adventure".  Some folks define it as having the challenge to get their big heavy GS over some BDR routes, others like the lightweight bikes and actually enjoy trails and hit single tracks as they would on their pure dirt bike.  And there's the middleweights like T7 that tries to hit both.   Though admittedly still not hitting the mark mostly due to middleweights still being heavy.  imo, Adventure is really defined by what you seek, not the bike.   

Totally agree that everyone who's sucked in by marketing will regret it.  

• Like 4

There is a reason that most enduro/MX guys have a 500 in the stable to go with their ADV bike, it makes more normal off road conditions so much easier than on the larger ADV. Look at most Dual Sport events, they have an ADV alternate course for the big bikes. I rode the KAT 2 years ago on the 500 and kept telling myself all 5 days of it, how glad I was that I used the 500 and not my T7. T7 could easily do the trails and such, but I would have WORKED so much harder and not enjoyed the ride as much. I save my T7 for forest roads and typical big bike ADV rides with friends. I'll use the 500 for real off road-and even then, there are times I wish I was on my 300!

T7 is fun in traffic and commuting and IMO is the best all around bike. It can travel long distances, it is good for commuting, it does ADV and off road good and can go anywhere a competent rider can take it. For 10g's, non better IMO.

I had a GS800ADV before the T7, talk about top heavy and a pig! T7 kills it in every category.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

I was stunned by how heavy it feels when not moving

Boy if this isn't the truth.  I still feel the same way over 2 years of ownership later.  I dont have a lot of room in my garage and the T7 is always my most difficult bike to move around.

I generally agree with all the sentiment here.  I can't imagine a bigger bike off-road.  My T7 is my "big bike" and I maintain a smaller ADV bike too.  I don't "need" both but somtimes I just want the smaller lighter bike.  Its just fun.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DT675 said:

Boy if this isn't the truth.  I still feel the same way over 2 years of ownership later.  I dont have a lot of room in my garage and the T7 is always my most difficult bike to move around.

I generally agree with all the sentiment here.  I can't imagine a bigger bike off-road.  My T7 is my "big bike" and I maintain a smaller ADV bike too.  I don't "need" both but somtimes I just want the smaller lighter bike.  Its just fun.

and it's even heavier moving it while on dirt.  I was on a trip this weekend (up here in MN btw) and had to turn around on several trails, some of it rocky or sandy.  Talk about having a workout pushing the bike around with all the camping gear too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DT675 said:

sometimes I just want the smaller lighter bike.  It's just fun

My most fun bike ever was an old KDX-200 2-stroke (simple and cheap), back when I was young and strong. Perfect for the Wisconsin muddy singletracks, but even was a blast on the Colorado goat trails at 12,000 feet. Ya, severely underpowered at those altitudes but it never let me down. Try dragging an "Adventure" bike under a tree that is blocking the trail!!

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I really didn't get the point of that whiney Australians video?

People buy adventure bikes because they like them, if they want more features they buy the bike that has the most features they can afford.Manufacturer's cater for that.

I bet not more than 1% of say BMW GS motorbikes actually go on any camping trips or marginal " off road" adventures let alone a trip to Africa. But that dosnt stop well healed riders from buying them. They want to feel like they can chase Camels around the Sahara if they want to, they dress like they are heading to Zanzibar on their ofgice commute.

Good for them, it makes them happy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kdeleon said:

and it's even heavier moving it while on dirt.  I was on a trip this weekend (up here in MN btw) and had to turn around on several trails, some of it rocky or sandy.  Talk about having a workout pushing the bike around with all the camping gear too.

That is why you have 1st gear.  Use the terrain.  A rock or tuft of grass can be just enough to ride on and roll back.  Wash rinse repeat.

• Like 1

I felt the urge to comment on the video:

I'd push back on some of this. The "100HP" makes any part of the ride that's paved significantly more tolerable and/or fun, same with the "BIG bike". Furthermore, at 6'2 and 280lb, the big bike is easier to fit on as a big person and is more easily able to cope with our combined weight. As to the ready for adventure bit; I HAVE taken my Tenere 700 up mountains on rough Jeep trails, forded rivers, and did do so on the stock tires, until they wore out. No deserts for me, but that's because I live in GA. I'm certainly no professional rider and if I could do it, so could many (if not most) others. I will definitely agree, however, that "travel bikes" would be a much better and more applicable name, especially for the heavyweight class of bikes. Middleweights, like my Tenere, sort of straddle the classification line a bit more...

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

Agree 100% with the video - light is right.

I would go the smaller dual sport route if I was doing this again.  

Having said that ... these bikes are about having fun and if it brings you enjoyment, that is what it is all about.

Don’t forget these bikes are for distance and travelling. A ktm 250 would kill you and your arse if you had to do a road section of a few hundred miles. Competition bikes are just that, and need constant maintenance. This 7 and the previous 600s are perfect for carrying you and your gear, reliably, on distant travels with roads, rough tracks, bush and whatever. They’re not trials bikes. If you can do that stuff on a big bike too then hats off to you.
I’m not a bm fan but can see the benefits of 1000 mile comfort fully loaded two up, eating the miles at motorway speeds, and venturing off tarmac on occasion. But I’ll be sticking to my teneres. 🍺

• Like 2

3 hours ago, katana said:

That is why you have 1st gear.  Use the terrain.  A rock or tuft of grass can be just enough to ride on and roll back.  Wash rinse repeat.

oh i hear you, but it doesn't work out all the time, especially on sand.  

• Like 2

As Mark Twain said, "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".  I try not to overthink it.  

• Like 3

I've been thinking about it and the name "adventure bike" is actually correct but then again, every bike can be an adventure bike because you can travel the world without going offroad.
The name "allroad" is also correct because it's mentioning roads, dirt and gravel roads are perfectly doable even for the less experienced rider.
The problem with the commercials is that the suggest you can do a Dakar like rally with those bikes and that is not the case.
A well trained rally rider like Pol Tarrés or Cris Burch can with some of the bikes.
Look at them in another way you can say it's not a suggestion that YOU can but see it as a way for the manufacturers to showcase the quality of the bikes and you only have to worry about your own inability's.
Seeing that is just common sense and if you don't have that i'm not sure you're even capable to go on an all- and offroad adventure or even an onroad adventure away from civilisation.

• Like 2

I bought a Tenere because I had a huge lust for one as a teenager in the 90s. One day this year I popped into the Yamaha dealers just for a look and there was a Rally edition on a pedelstal and I had to have it.

Owning that bike has opened up so much more of where I live for discovery, I have made new friends found a new girlfriend , actually enjoy my commute and use the bike for work now and then.

Sometimes inital attraction is enough you never know how big a fire can be untill you light one.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 10:36 AM, Hibobb said:

My most fun bike ever was an old KDX-200 2-stroke (simple and cheap), back when I was young and strong. Perfect for the Wisconsin muddy singletracks, but even was a blast on the Colorado goat trails at 12,000 feet. Ya, severely underpowered at those altitudes but it never let me down. Try dragging an "Adventure" bike under a tree that is blocking the trail!!

I’m not old enough to have owned a KDX 200 but I am old enough to know all about them. My buddy who has recently graduated to the “old guy” club use to flat track and early days enduros. The KDX was his go to enduro bike(s) and he talked about them all the time. 

I used to race D23 enduros and Stone Lake in WI was one of our stops.  A grueling enduro where like only half the entries finished. Is that far enough south in WI that you know of it?

I’ve got 3 horses in my stable.  They cover all the bases.  

FJR

T7

yz250fx

The T7 gets ridden the most.   However, the T7 doest stack up against the FJR at clicking off miles at higher speeds for hours on end.  The T7 is not made for single track woods riding in the PNW.  PLUS, I’m no Pol Tarres, who else is???? Lol.  That guy rocks!!

The T7 is an outstanding motorcycle with Yamaha reliability.  

• Like 3

I really like the german word for these kind of bikes:

Reise-enduro. This means travel-enduro. Enduro is like long distance motocross, for us meaning getting an suitable bike for covering long road distances, then take unpaved/gravelroads or tracks. For me it covers my use, travel to nice unknown places, preferable on unpaved roads  with all my camping gear. I guess we call this adventure...

• Like 1

Am I the only one still waiting in hope for a 500cc lightweight version of the Tenere?

• Like 2