Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Battery Flat

Pockey

Saturday I went to take the bike out for a ride after the bike been stood for two weeks and turned on the ignition and the bike was dead. Checked battery voltage 4.5 volts. Jump started it and the bike ran rough so switch off and put it onto the charger for the night. Started it up on Sunday and she ran fine but the engine check light was on so phoned the dealer and they will check it out and will change the battery under warranty.

• Like 1

Is it possible the bike was put away on park mode? The T7 does not have park lights on in this mode, so it's not obvious, but it does drain the battery. The way to check this is press the hazard lights: these should NOT come on when the key is removed .

My dealer warned me for this - so just sharing.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, WalterT said:

Is it possible the bike was put away on park mode? The T7 does not have park lights on in this mode, so it's not obvious, but it does drain the battery. The way to check this is press the hazard lights: these should NOT come on when the key is removed .

My dealer warned me for this - so just sharing.

I can confirm do not park the bike up with key turned all the way anti-clockwise to ‘P’,

go one click clockwise back from ‘P’, to ‘Lock’, for no drainage.

Yes, a check is that the hazards lights don’t operate in use ‘Lock’.

• Like 1

Think i must of done the same i parked it for a couple of weeks and it only just had enough battery to start so keep it on my Optimate 2 if left for a week without riding. 

Cheers All the Best Mick  

I connected the OBD II to the bike and this is the fault that came up. OBD II fault code P0560 is defined as “System Voltage Malfunction” and is set when the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) detects an abnormal voltage value from the battery, charging, or starting system(s).

When the ignition is turned to the “ON” position, the PCM performs a check of the charging, starting, and battery system, and when the engine is running, the PCM expects to find a system voltage of between 13.8-, and 14.4 volts in a fully functional system. A reading that is lower or higher than this range will trigger the CHECK ENGINE, or SERVICE ENGINE soon warning light, and code P0560 will be set and stored.
cleared the fault and disconnected the spot lights and will re wire them to a ignition switch live 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pockey said:

I connected the OBD II to the bike and this is the fault that came up. OBD II fault code P0560 is defined as “System Voltage Malfunction” and is set when the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) detects an abnormal voltage value from the battery, charging, or starting system(s).

When the ignition is turned to the “ON” position, the PCM performs a check of the charging, starting, and battery system, and when the engine is running, the PCM expects to find a system voltage of between 13.8-, and 14.4 volts in a fully functional system. A reading that is lower or higher than this range will trigger the CHECK ENGINE, or SERVICE ENGINE soon warning light, and code P0560 will be set and stored.
cleared the fault and disconnected the spot lights and will re wire them to a ignition switch live 

I assume this fault code was set when the igniting was turned on while the battery was in its drained state.

It does not provide information why the battery was low, only that it was when the key was turned.

• Like 1

One fault was already described, key position in "P".

An other fault may be a nav sat socket connected to power, which drains your battery.