Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

First drop

Yamablueridge

Had my first drop yesterday and of course it fell onto the right side with the new exhaust. I was a super dumbass when parking at a friends house in the sloped yard. Anyway the exhaust is fine and took the blow - shout out to Black Widow. The fairings without the crash bars took the drop fine too, luckily I guess. 

I’ve seen videos and heard how much of a bitch it is to pick up the bike, it really is a two man and a boy job. 

The snag is the brake lever and hand guard are out of whack. I can bend them back but this is a great excuse to grab new levers and hand guards. 

Looking for some guidance on replacing the levers and guards with aftermarket parts that are compatible. 

Thanks. 

2FA3FC89-5D82-441C-A71F-A3259A94D9B7.jpeg

Welcome to the club! I had a similar experience in a sloping parking lot - totally my fault.

I found that I can pick her up on the handlebars - well, not easily, but it's doable.

My Acerbis X-Factors meanwhile paid back three times. And my HP Corse as well!

Get some Barkbusters, Acerbis or HDB handguards ( @NeilW  just installed them). They are all well worth the money!

In the US, ASV levers seem to be a good choice. I recently bought Puig levers, they are fine (but not great imho).

Definitely invest in some quality hand guards as they are the first thing that hits the ground if you drop your bike.

For less expensive levers, these are worth a look: 

MZS Black Motorcycle Brake Clutch Levers Short Adjustable CNC  https://a.co/d/7G65uMp

I have them on my T7 and like them a lot.  Amazon does not think they fit but they do.

Don't feel too bad about dropping your bike. I've only dropped mine once but it was a mile after picking it up at the dealer! I didn't get the kickstand fully deployed at a gas station and the bike rolled forwards and leaned too far for me to hold it. 

Edited by Hollybrook
Fixed link
  • Like 1

• Moderators

HDB handguards. Get them and never look back, they're probably the toughest available. Cory @Camel ADV runs them and said that he's wasn't going to improve on their design as they just work. If you haven't,  watch some of his ride videos for his ongoing " testing".  

JSNS  ( just saying, nuff said)

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

44 minutes ago, AZJW said:

HDB handguards. Get them and never look back, they're probably the toughest available. Cory @Camel ADV runs them and said that he's wasn't going to improve on their design as they just work. If you haven't,  watch some of his ride videos for his ongoing " testing".  

JSNS  ( just saying, nuff said)

If I hadn't bought Acerbis before, I would definitely choose HDB - Acerbis are tough, but offer less space for the levers than HDB.

• Like 1

my last drop is on a sloped parking lot too, sidestand pretty much tipped me over and with a full tank and a short inseam, a slight lean is enough for her to go down.  Barkbusters are bruised left and right on all my tipovers, exhaust took a bit bruising too.  Crashguards has no nicks yet as most drops are on sand or dirt.

Yeah it's heavy and had been my biggest fear.  I don't consider myself as a strong dude, 5'6" and 155lbs, no muscles, i always feel like if i can do it, most can, with proper technique.  I've dropped and picked it up a few times to feel good that i'd be alright when solo and remote.  Yes all drops are solo and remote except for the parking lot drop :D.   I still plan to go get the eastbound motowinch since every help i can get is a no-brainer.  Heck even thought about a deflated basketball to use as an airbag to get it off the flat angle is enough to get proper leverage to pick it up easier but tbh haven't tried this yet :).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

Definitely invest in some quality hand guards as they are the first thing that hits the ground if you drop your bike.

For less expensive levers, these are worth a look: 

MZS Black Motorcycle Brake Clutch Levers Short Adjustable CNC  https://a.co/d/7G65uMp

I have them on my T7 and like them a lot.  Amazon does not think they fit but they do.

Don't feel too bad about dropping your bike. I've only dropped mine once but it was a mile after picking it up at the dealer! I didn't get the kickstand fully deployed at a gas station and the bike rolled forwards and leaned too far for me to hold it. 

I am hoping you always stop the bike in first gear after your "rolling forward" experience.

3 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I am hoping you always stop the bike in first gear after your "rolling forward" experience.

I hadn't even gotten that far - the engine was still running and I had the front brake applied lightly.  It was the partially deployed kickstand that forced the bike forward on a very slight uphill.  I am not really sure exactly what happened as I was still in euphoria about getting the T7 after waiting months for it.  It would have been funny except that I strained a chest muscle trying to hold it up and had to get help from a guy nearby to haul it back upright.  Not my best moment!  I was quite lucky that most of the scratches were on parts that I was soon to take off.  The only reminder at this point is a light scuff on the mirror.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hollybrook said:

I hadn't even gotten that far - the engine was still running and I had the front brake applied lightly.  It was the partially deployed kickstand that forced the bike forward on a very slight uphill.  I am not really sure exactly what happened as I was still in euphoria about getting the T7 after waiting months for it.  It would have been funny except that I strained a chest muscle trying to hold it up and had to get help from a guy nearby to haul it back upright.  Not my best moment!  I was quite lucky that most of the scratches were on parts that I was soon to take off.  The only reminder at this point is a light scuff on the mirror.

sometimes the adrenalin from embarassment is enough to pick up the bike.  I remember when i was a bit younger, and dropped my bike in office parking lot, around a bunch of ladies.  Had to act tough and pick it up like nothing.  Nowadays, i don't care if they wearing skirt and high heels, i'm gonna ask them for help lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

My other bike is a 900# Yamaha Venture, when it starts to tip I just let go. 

• Haha 1

Thanks gents. My buddy got a kick out me pondering just how fast that bitch dropped, noticed my dropped jaw thru the full face. 

Had a worse moment on my baby air cooled enduro, was getting gas and the kick stand bolt came loose throwing me and the bike into the fire extinguisher cabinet on the column. Scratched my Shoei too, stupid hurts and hurts teaches. 

shopping levers & guards will be fun.

Welcome to the club - membership is growing fast! I stopped on a gravel verge to take a photo. Got back on the bike, pulled up side stand and went to put my right foot on the ground - but the ground wasn't there! I'd parked by a small hollow. By the time my foot found the floor, the bike had leaned beyond the point of no return and I was resigned to trying to lay it down gently to minimise damage. The worst part was struggling to pick it up, as it was lying down slope. I didn't want to turn it as it would have damaged the plastics. Fortunately a passing car stopped and the driver (a very kind lady!!) helped me get the bike upright. Slight scratch on the exhaust and massive dent to my male pride!

• Like 2