Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 winterization

SpencerChedid

Hi everyone,

Being born and raised in a tropical weather country and now living in the cold winter of Canada 🥶 I don't now much about how to properly get my bike prepared to endure the winter.
I've been watching a couple of videos on that subject but I'm really to know what you guys are getting along with winterization.
FYI I have a 2022 T7 with 4000 km on it and it's always parked inside my garage.

- Battery tender: do I really need one? Any tips?
- Cover: is it necessary?
- Fuel conditioner: do I need it? What brand do you recommend?
- Oil & filter change: could I just wait for the next riding season to do it or should I do it before the winter hits hard?

Any other suggestions would be welcome 🙂
Thanks in advance.

If you don’t feel like putting the battery on a tender, just remove the ground wire from it. Should be fine in the spring, but you’ll need to reset the clock in the spring. 
Fully fill the tank with gas and put a little Stabil or Seafoam in it if you have Ethanol in the gas there.  Run a bit through the bike before putting it away for the winter. 
If you are close to needing an oil change or brake flush do it before you store the bike instead of waiting until spring.  If not don’t worry about it.  Better to clear out the water and other contaminates in the fluids before letting it sit for a while. 
Cover is up to you. But I’d avoid it if your garage is not heated. Will trap condensation under it leading to more corrosion than if you had no cover on it. 
Don’t be tempted to fire the bike up unless you are going to actually ride it and heat it up enough to bring it to full operating temp. Running it a little bit but not getting up to full temp is worse than not starting it at all. 
Do however occasionally go sit on it in the garage and make VROOOOM VROOOM noises. It won’t help the bike will help minimize your PMS ( parked motorcycle syndrome )

Quite honestly I never winterize my bikes, but I usually can get out and ride them at least once every month or two. Modern fuel injected bikes are a LOT MORE forgiving than older carbureted bikes were to sitting for periods of time. 

• Like 3

@Liquidape is pretty spot on, but I might add.... Alberta winters are long and cold. If the battery discharges, it can freeze and crack, then leak acid all over your bike when it warms up a bit. My vote is to pull the battery out and keep it someplace above freezing. At the very least, keep a trickle charger on it (but I have had them fail me).

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

i used to cover my bike up for dust and Shet, then I realize I am riding an adv bike LOL...

now I just come in the garage and sit on it once a while and resisting the temptation to starting it up while combating the PMS 😛

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hibobb said:

@Liquidape is pretty spot on, but I might add.... Alberta winters are long and cold. If the battery discharges, it can freeze and crack, then leak acid all over your bike when it warms up a bit. My vote is to pull the battery out and keep it someplace above freezing. At the very least, keep a trickle charger on it (but I have had them fail me).

Awesome tip, thanks! I'm gonna do that 👍

Give the bike a good wash and clean.  

Stabil in the gas and Take it for a ride to get rid of any water and get the oil nice and hot.  Top up the gas tank to as full as possible.  

Changing the oil and filter is a good idea if it has considerable miles on it.  If it is not long since the last change I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

I sometimes spray some wd40 on the engine or any bare metal areas.

Remove the battery and keep in a warm area above freezing.  Never start the engine during the winter, does more harm than good.

Plug the exhaust and seal off the air box inlet to prevent mice from making a home in there.  

Clean and oil the chain.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, williestreet said:

Plug the exhaust and seal off the air box inlet to prevent mice from making a home

Well done! I forgot that one...

One spring I started up my '92 VFR750 and more than a few black walnuts came shooting out of the exhaust!!

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I gave it a good wash already and topped up the fuel tank. I'm gonna grab some fuel stabilizer this weekeend and will make the final preparations for the long winter.
Thank you all!

I use this in all my engines, Yamaha, Triumph, all of them.  And all my engines start and run excellent the following year. Even the 10+ year old ones. 

AFCFFD5F-B7BA-4B8F-A39F-7D6E9B9F5A32.jpeg.48f181ffd2d9ea4b5b88aad352a10462.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I strongly recommend watching Fortnines video on fuel stabilizers before choosing a brand of fuel stabilizer. Very insightful.

• Like 1