Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Cowling crack

random1781

Looking at a used T7, but it has an odd crack on it:

crack.jpg.e7da891575cef830097bc0d2dd4b2761.jpg

Odd in part because, while there are scuffs on the left crash bar, the exterior plastics look fine. In the vein of getting unbiased opinions, does anyone care to speculate on the mechanism behind this? That plastic seems pretty robust, and I haven't heard of any failures from vibration and whatnot, but maybe it's just escaped me.

advgoats.com

It took a big hit to break that. It’s glass reinforced nylon. It doesn’t just crack like that without a SERIOUS impact. 
Not going to crack like that from normal use or even normal abuse. 
Caveat Emptor. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Liquidape said:

It took a big hit to break that. It’s glass reinforced nylon. It doesn’t just crack like that without a SERIOUS impact. 
Not going to crack like that from normal use or even normal abuse. 
Caveat Emptor. 

That's what I was thinking. Guy originally said the plastics were cracked, and I'd assumed he meant the exterior ones, but this is a obviously different, fishier story. Still trying to imagine how this could happen though

advgoats.com

I can think of two things.
1: He went of on the trail hitting a tree. He had to have some speed when that happend.

2: He got onto an accident. In that case you might wonder what else got bent.

Edit:
Ask straight on what the story is. When he stumbles to think of something or it feels like bullshit then walk away.
Is the story plausible make a testride and if it goes straight and te price is right you can take a chance but it can still be a risk and that's why the price must be right.

Edited by Ray Ride4life
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I can think of two things.
1: He went of on the trail hitting a tree. He had to have some speed when that happend.

2: He got onto an accident. In that case you might wonder what else got bent.

Edit:
Ask straight on what the story is. When he stumbles to think of something or it feels like bullshit then walk away.
Is the story plausible make a testride and if it goes straight and te price is right you can take a chance but it can still be a risk and that's why the price must be right.

Crickets since asking about it. Priced well with a bunch of good accessories. Could be a great deal, but personally not worth the risk.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1304163170122570/

advgoats.com

Like they said, ask the question. Probably an honest answer. Looks like impact maybe direct or from the screen. They’re all fairly cheap parts to replace so don’t worry about that if the price is right, but also, as has been said, look deeper for serious damage, steering, frame parts, suspension, electrics etc. A test ride would also be needed. 
if, as is most likely, it’s just had a drop/smack doing what it’s built for, it’ll be fine. 
it’s probably partly the reason why it’s not a good idea to use strong adjustable screen brackets. 

After a incident at the side of the house my took a heavy impact that caused damage to both of these parts, I was able to repair them with fibre glass but the force of the impact bent the metal bracket that attaches the tower to the headstock. Look deeper......

Thankfully the perspex headlight protector saved the headlight.