Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What is the worst modification you have done to your bike

Motoadventure

Yamaha Tail tidy. In my opinion possibly one of the most over engineered items in the history of engineering, difficult to fit and very expensive. looks OK when on but some much cheaper aftermarket ones look better. Finish is also not standing up to off road riding.

I will possibly replace when I mess up the next wheely.

What have you fitted???    Mick IMG_5391.thumb.jpg.0eecc416c3482c8f85a7402296450858.jpg  

Edited by Motoadventure

I changed mine for a R&G one it looks much better. The original one is so big i  I had to move stuff around in my garage so i could shut the door.

F0CD7B39-37ED-45B5-80ED-4FBB4A672990.jpeg

Edited by Simon Jackson
Photo added
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Denali Power-hub 2 One of the most disappointing purchases. bought 12 months ago and done one trip to the Pyrenees I took it off and put it on the T7 in August. a few days later everything started having problems. I removed the unit to find the wires soldered on to the board and broken and the whole unit looked like it was very poorly made. My fears where confirmed when looking at reviews on the internet, with a lot of comments stating failure and poor quality. 

Best to avoid at all costs at over £100.00 i did not feel it was fit for purchase.

Does anyone have similar experiences with them? 

Thanks to reading Mick  

IMG_5418.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Motoadventure said:

Yamaha Tail tidy. In my opinion possibly one of the most over engineered items in the history of engineering, difficult to fit and very expensive. looks OK when on but some much cheaper aftermarket ones look better. Finish is also not standing up to off road riding.

I will possibly replace when I mess up the next wheely.

What have you fitted???    Mick IMG_5391.thumb.jpg.0eecc416c3482c8f85a7402296450858.jpg  

I will be fitting the t7 rally version this Saturday.. I will report on the tail tidy but other people have it and they seem to be happy. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I will be fitting the t7 rally version this Saturday.. I will report on the tail tidy but other people have it and they seem to be happy. 

I have the T7 tail tidy. It's awesome, brilliantly built and good price and so much lighter. This should be in the "best modifications" post ! I've posted a couple of pics and if you search me you'll see it on the bike.

Well pleased and it looks great too.

• Like 2

I've found the OEM crash bars were a bad purchase for me. I initially bought them as I wanted to get off-road as soon as I got the bike and didn't want to wait for third party options.

While they do a good job of protecting, they one of the heaviest sets on the market (5kg) and I know it's a first-world problem, but I hate how the bars go straight through the Tenere 700 logo.

• Like 3

9to5adv.com

Hi James same I ordered all yam stuff. I have crashed it twice at low speed and the bike is undamaged so they seem quite strong. 

Thanks Mick  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rich TT said:

I have the T7 tail tidy. It's awesome, brilliantly built and good price and so much lighter. This should be in the "best modifications" post ! I've posted a couple of pics and if you search me you'll see it on the bike.

Well pleased and it looks great too.

Hi Rich, not sure I found it complicated to fit, It does look OK and will be keeping it unless a wheely goes wrong.   

Cheers Mick 

Worst modification for me was SP Engineering exhaust. Round 380mm titan can.

Db-killer was mounted in the beginning of the silencer and not in the end of silencer. '

Exhaust clamp was loose around can. Mid pipe not correct in diameter in catalyzator end.

Returned the exhaust to SP Engineering and got the money back. So their service was good.

Instead I have modified standard exhaust with larger pipe in last chamber from 25 to 35mm.

Sounds great.

Edited by PJS
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, PJS said:

Db-killer was mounted in the beginning of the silencer and not in the end of silencer. '

Exhaust clamp was loose around can. Mid pipe not correct in diameter in catalyzator end.

Returned the exhaust to SP Engineering and got the money back. So their service was good.

Instead I have modified standard exhaust with larger pipe in last chamber from 25 to 35mm.

Sounds great.

Could you take some pictures of the mod.. 

57 minutes ago, PJS said:

Sounds great.

Interesting and sorry about that. I was considering that exhaust but went with max torque cans (MTC). Quality and fit was superb. And the sound was ace and addictive.

Rich

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Another one Muck Off. Apparently a new formula, cleaned my panniers with it and totally ruined them. white stains all over the aluminium will not come out unless I use wire wool and WD40. Not good avoid 

Mick      

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2020 at 9:55 AM, Motoadventure said:

Denali Power-hub 2 One of the most disappointing purchases. bought 12 months ago and done one trip to the Pyrenees I took it off and put it on the T7 in August. a few days later everything started having problems. I removed the unit to find the wires soldered on to the board and broken and the whole unit looked like it was very poorly made. My fears where confirmed when looking at reviews on the internet, with a lot of comments stating failure and poor quality. 

Best to avoid at all costs at over £100.00 i did not feel it was fit for purchase.

Does anyone have similar experiences with them? 

Thanks to reading Mick   

Do you have any alternative to chage for DENALI POWER HUB?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 2:14 PM, JamesE said:

I've found the OEM crash bars were a bad purchase for me. I initially bought them as I wanted to get off-road as soon as I got the bike and didn't want to wait for third party options.

While they do a good job of protecting, they one of the heaviest sets on the market (5kg) and I know it's a first-world problem, but I hate how the bars go straight through the Tenere 700 logo.

Which one (crash bars) do you prefer then?

On 2/24/2020 at 4:41 PM, Jonas said:

Which one (crash bars) do you prefer then?

I will probably swap mine out for these at some point in the future. They solve the issues I have with the OEM ones.

hard-parts-t700-crash-bars-featured-imag

3.04kg Lightweight 6000 series aluminium crash bars for the strength you do need without the weight that you don’t.

9to5adv.com

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

I will probably swap mine out for these at some point in the future. They solve the issues I have with the OEM ones.

hard-parts-t700-crash-bars-featured-imag

3.04kg Lightweight 6000 series aluminium crash bars for the strength you do need without the weight that you don’t.

I have also looked into them. They have not so many points of assembly. Are they any good? Or do I risk the bike?

36 minutes ago, Lupan said:

What issues do you have? How many mounting points have the oem?

I would also want to know. I’m in the process of buying crash bars. Adventure Spec seems like the best option, since it’s light weight.

On 2/29/2020 at 7:38 PM, Jonas said:

I have also looked into them. They have not so many points of assembly. Are they any good? Or do I risk the bike?

I haven't personally used them, but @Wilcollinsphotos has them and they have saved his bike on a couple of falls.

Adventure Spec have also extensively reviewed them on a trip to Morocco.

9to5adv.com

30 minutes ago, JamesE said:

I haven't personally used them, but @Wilcollinsphotos has them and they have saved his bike on a couple of falls.

Adventure Spec have also extensively reviewed them on a trip to Morocco.

I have them on mine. They mount under the headlight with a big bracket and then at a point on either side. Dropped the bike a few times and they have done what they are supposed to. 

1BBB60F0-2538-481C-BB50-B72D1302B46E.jpeg

• Like 2

Isn't one more vulnerable for a muddy back after installing a tail tidy?

• Like 1