Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear spring?

williestreet

Has anyone had the stock rear spring off their shock?

I am looking for spring ID, free length and spring rate.

Thanks

1 hour ago, williestreet said:

Has anyone had the stock rear spring off their shock?

I am looking for spring ID, free length and spring rate.

Thanks

Have a look here and their website in general. Very impressive. I spoke with John(?) and he has a T7 and really knows his stuff. They do a video of it too on YouTube.

I'm doing this upgrade...

Yamaha T7 Uprated OEM Shock Spring

Rich

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Have a look here and their website in general. Very impressive. I spoke with John(?) and he has a T7 and really knows his stuff. They do a video of it too on YouTube.

I'm doing this upgrade...

Yamaha T7 Uprated OEM Shock Spring

Rich

Rich, 

I was looking at this earlier today... I'm not sure if I would need it or not.. I don't do off-road and ride solo all the time. 

Weight 102 plus gear. 😁😃

Are you thinking of getting it for yourself? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Rich, 

I was looking at this earlier today... I'm not sure if I would need it or not.. I don't do off-road and ride solo all the time. 

Weight 102 plus gear. 😁😃

Are you thinking of getting it for yourself? 

Yes, mainly for off road. I'm 14 stone ish, so plus riding gear takes it to possibly a 90 N/mm spring. But first I'm going to measure the rider sag (I've got the static right) just to check I need it.

I have bottomed out off road and cranking up the preload helped a lot but I think these guys are right. He said the rebound and compression is pretty good on the shock, so I'm just going to change the spring weight only.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Yes, mainly for off road. I'm 14 stone ish, so plus riding gear takes it to possibly a 90 N/mm spring. But first I'm going to measure the rider sag (I've got the static right) just to check I need it.

I have bottomed out off road and cranking up the preload helped a lot but I think these guys are right. He said the rebound and compression is pretty good on the shock, so I'm just going to change the spring weight only.

Cheers

Rich

I will have to setup mine as well and see where I stand. 

I'm happy with the ride but I'm not very good at setting suspension up. 

Will probably end up paying for someone to do it for me 🙂

16 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I will have to setup mine as well and see where I stand. 

I'm happy with the ride but I'm not very good at setting suspension up. 

Will probably end up paying for someone to do it for me 🙂

I'll stick some pics up how to set the sag. That's the base setting and important to do that first.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Fork springs and shock spring showed up yesterday in the BBT.

They drop shipped from Cannon Racecraft in Oklahoma.

7.4-8.8 for the shock and .64 for the forks.

I’d called and talked with George at Suspension 101 on the 15th. and was impressed, so, what the heck, I ordered custom made springs for the first time. I’ll post up a review in ?, whenever.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

having a 95nm spring fitted today. im about 100kg in full kit + carry quite a bit of weight when off on my trips.

• Premium Member

2 weeks ago, i fitted 85 nm spring from Rally Raid on my T7 and had the opportunity to test rode it!

I'm lightweight - 78kg without riding gear, but the upgraded spring made a very noticeable difference. I was able to get correct rear sag with only 5 preload clicks, so I have good preload reserve for luggage or pillion.

I tested the spring in some enduro trails and was able to go faster than with stock spring. And rear suspension was plusher, comfortable, better bottoming resistance etc.

It is a must have upgrade in my opinion!

• Like 3

• Premium Member

One picture from last year and my first crash on a T7 😃😃

moto ii-11.jpg

IMG-20190922-WA0023.jpg

6 minutes ago, Sandijs said:

I was able to get correct rear sag with only 5 preload clicks, so I have good preload reserve for luggage or pillion.

Exactly what I found rather than the 22 out of a maximum of 24 with the standard spring (90kg weight without riding gear)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sandijs said:

Now my bike looks like this!

20200216_141813-01.jpeg

20200216_154122.jpg

Great. What tyres are they and on your other picture? 150 rear still?

Cheers

• Premium Member

Mitas Rockrider MC23 front and Mitas e12 rear, but 140/80-R18

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sandijs said:

Mitas Rockrider MC23 front and Mitas e12 rear, but 140/80-R18

Thanks 

On 3/18/2020 at 9:07 PM, gone2seed said:

bth2

Had a chance to test the new spring yet?

If so, did the stock shock have enough rebound adjustment?

Thanxs Jeff

testing in progress. rear feels much better.could only get 20mm sag ,no preload. maybe should have gone for the 90nm spring but i can live with it. should be better when fully loaded with rider and camping gear. i dont think i will have to use any preload.well see. i think i have the right compression and rebound settings but more to do. i think it has shown up the front end now. rebound seems ok but i backed off the compression to 1 click.am going to have a play with the front end when i can.  onward and upward.

15 minutes ago, bth2 said:

testing in progress. rear feels much better.could only get 20mm sag ,no preload. maybe should have gone for the 90nm spring but i can live with it. should be better when fully loaded with rider and camping gear. i dont think i will have to use any preload.well see. i think i have the right compression and rebound settings but more to do. i think it has shown up the front end now. rebound seems ok but i backed off the compression to 1 click.am going to have a play with the front end when i can.  onward and upward.

You might find after a few hours riding the new spring "beds in" and when you check the sag again it may need a bit winding on.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

So has anybody been able to source a rear spring from any US source given the somewhat common size?  Obviously there are plenty of UK options.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, e010584 said:

So has anybody been able to source a rear spring from any US source given the somewhat common size?  Obviously there are plenty of UK options.

UK spring from a US source.

Shop for Suspension, like Rally Raid Products Shock Spring at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle...

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

2 minutes ago, AZJW said:

UK spring from a US source.

Shop for Suspension, like Rally Raid Products Shock Spring at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle...

Yes, I actually prefer the K-Tech option for UK springs (exact fit / lighter weight / no adapters / dark color), but was suspecting there may be other supplier options given it's a somewhat common size as Corey mentioned earlier in the thread.  I guess the issue is that it's a  much stiffer spring rate than other applications using the same size (e.g. YZ450F) given it is obviously a heavy weight machine.  The unfortunate reality is almost everything gets sourced from China these days and we end up paying  middle men to ensure some reasonable level of quality control, customer support and false sense that we're not taking advantage of oppressed people.   Even the company I worked for was sourcing jet engine parts from China, as a means of keeping US engineers and  lawyers busy doing clean up work. 

• Like 1