Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Auxbeam install question

Lodevc

Hello everybody,

Since electrics aren’t my strong point I would like some advice from people who actually do understand electrics..

I bought a aux light set from Auxbeam (3”pods).

These came delivered with a wiring harness (suited for 4x4’s..)

I would like to wire it up to my Tenere using the right side aux connector which is tucked underneath the side fairing.

now I was wondering how to connect it since the only two wires who are ‘free’ on the wiring harness are the +and- terminals..

I have spare make and female connectors (Fujimoto?..) to fit the aux connector.

the wiring harness has also got a in line fuse (10amp) and a relay…

Can it be used just using the +and- from the original harness through a connector int the existing aux connector or does the wiring harness have to be dissected?…

On the picture I included you can see the wiring harness.

on the left side are the 2 plugs that go to the lights so no problem there.

on the right side are the 3 wires going to the switch….

Or is it better to just connect the +and - to the battery instead of going through the aux connector?(I would prefer the aux connector).

thanks for your help!

22D238D8-38EE-485F-B46F-5FEA35EEE285.jpeg

• Moderators

@Lodevc Welcome to the forum. 

Wiring connections depend on how you want your lights to be powered. If you want them " hot" all the time, meaning if you have them switched on, they'll illuminate regardless if the ignition key is on or off, then wire direct to the battery.   If you want them switched via the ignition key, i.e. regardless of the light switch position, power is controlled by the ignition key switch, then connect to the auxiliary connector.  I prefer powering most devices thru the auxiliary connector so when the ignition switch is off,  there is no battery drain from devices left switched on. 

The 3 pin auxiliary connector has two power leads and one ground so use a test light to confirm your wiring connections if you go that route.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thank you very much for the quick response. Yes I would like to have it switched, this way the battery won’t drain when these lights are accidentally left on.

But can it be connected to the 3 pin connector. The power to my harness only has 2 leads (black &red).

Also: i guess this aux connector is fused. But so is the wiring harness that came with the lights.. won’t this ‘double fuse’ setup cause any problems?

if the black and red terminals can be connected to the 3 pin connector, anyone has an idea to which prongs they have to be connected? 

thanks!

• Moderators

Double fuses aren't necessary,  but won't cause you any problems unless a fuse isn't of the proper amperage.   As far as connecting your +&- to the 3 lead auxiliary plug, use a test light to determine a hot wire, then line up your + red wire to that lead in the connector.  Then line up your black - on your harness to the black wire in the auxiliary connector and you're then switched thru the ignition. 

Keep the 3rd ( unused) connector opening plugged with the included rubber plug to keep moisture out and wrapping in electrical tape is also an accepted practice.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS