Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

South America November 2023

Moki

I'm starting my trip planning for a trip from Columbia to Tierra Del Fuego for next winter.

Not crazy about doing it alone. If anyone has any good input on low budget tours or interest in teaming up. Let me know you.

I traveled in Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia in 1994 and want to get back to Bolivia to Chile, Argentina.

Gracias

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

@Moki The timing is probably not in sync, but you might send a pm to @WingVetteStrom

who is planning a similar trip. Please remember to post up your travels in Ride Reports - Long Distance sub forum.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 11/13/2022 at 10:34 AM, Moki said:

I'm starting my trip planning for a trip from Columbia to Tierra Del Fuego for next winter.

Not crazy about doing it alone. If anyone has any good input on low budget tours or interest in teaming up. Let me know you.

I traveled in Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia in 1994 and want to get back to Bolivia to Chile, Argentina.

Gracias

I travel alone now in LATAM.  Have done eight trips to LATAM now, two with tours, the rest solo plus the above described. I took two Canadians down to Colombia for two weeks five years ago, renting bikes out of Bogota and it was a personality clash nightmare.  I'll never travel with anyone else again on a long trip.  Even stateside.

Shipping T7 to Bogota in February and will do a three month trip.  Depending on weather conditions either Colombia Ecuador and Peru then ship back again, or just Colombia, ship to Panama then ride back thru Central America and Mexico.  Timing not the best weather wise, but it's the only period I can break away.

There is plenty of stuff on youtube etc about advantages/disadvantages of traveling solo, but for me the advantages way outweigh the disadvantages.    And as a person well past medicare age with his share of health problems, if I can do it, so can you.  🙂

As far as tours go, though non of them are "low budget", my wife and I did two in Argentina and Chile.  She was the only pillion on both.  By far COMPASS EXPEDITIONS was the best.  Two thumbs up.   (Horizonte Tours not so much.)  Expensive, but there's a lot of value.  Bike, maintenance, gas, truck with your stuff, guide, nice hotels and restaurants.  And you'll see stuff you never would have known about otherwise.  But as I've been studying Spanish now intensively for five years, I prefer the adventure of traveling alone.   Not necessary though.

Here's three links to articles I've written for ADV Rider where I address a lot of your questions.

Argentina-2018-12-scaled.jpg

This guest post was kindly contributed by Joe Siegel (inmate @SouthAmerAddict). This is Part […]

Argentina-2018-14-scaled.jpg

This guest post was kindly contributed by Joe Siegel (inmate @SouthAmerAddict). This is Part […]

Colombia-2018-3-scaled.jpg

• Like 1

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

We had a similar trip planned for 2020 but COVID messed that up and we were going try again last year but things were still screwy because of COVID. 

2 minutes ago, Uncle M said:

@WingVetteStrom curious what shipper you're using to ship your bike to Bogota from the USA? I'm thinking of doing that later in 2023. Thx!

By truck with a domestic trucking company from the Tacoma, WA area to Miami.  Then via a company in Bogota called Cargo Riders, that partner with a freight forwarder in Miami called Royal Eximport.  Far more complex and expensive than it was pre Covid unfortunately.

Edited by WingVetteStrom

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

WVS:

Thanks for the response and the information, good stuff. 

I understand your point about traveling with other and having to deal with others. I've traveled alone some in Asia and Central America .  Having a travel mate has it's advantages, but you have to work at it for sure.

One my questions was docs needed for border crossings.  Your information is quite helpful.  I had memorable experience crossing from Ecuador into Peru. I don't remember as much hassle going from Peru into Bolivia. 

It's a surprise on your information on cell phone usage and navigation use.  I was there is '94, quite a lot of changes.

Have you heard about using Fedex Air freight?  I'm trying to get a quote from Fedex now and trying to learn the points that I can receive and ship from.

I'll contact the freight company you mentioned.

Thanks again

• 5 months later...

@Bzyl those are nice photos... well done!

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~