Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2022 Tenere 700 > GS 1200 2017

romancor

OK, maybe I want to be talked out of this and this why I'm writing it here out loud!

How reasonable is it to change new T7 on GS1200? Considering the fact that I'm not using Tenere the way in should be used (abusing it off-road). Just light gravel/forest rides and long(ish) distances average 200km + daily commuter. Next year I'm planning to ride to Norway (it's ≈ 8000km) and GS seems to be a good choice for a long runs ≈ 500 km daily. Not looking for speed and powwwwer either, maybe more comfort. I know that lots of people switched from GS to T7, because of the versatility of Yamaha.

What do you think? Should I switch to higher class but older bike(1) or forget about this and enjoy yama-swiss knife(2)?

Maybe there are someone who had same doubts? 

cb064c08497ef93941c872a1b2bc427e.jpeg

I have a GS, a 1150 Adv though and have used it this year for 2 trips of a week or more (road only) and also have a 2020 T700

I find the GS has better road comfort, in terms of seat/suspension and screen and luggage ability

The engine is more relaxed for the road

However I just use the T700 for local rides and a bit gravel trails

I have a Honda Crosstourer and xhanged the XT660Z i had along for a T7.

I did a 8400km trip this July with Norway as one of the destinations and took the T7.

Reason for changing the 660 for the T7 was to do long trips with long days (over 500km) because i got in some situations lasy year where the weight and size made the lesser comfort on the T7 worth it.

I only use the CT for grocery shopping and long A to B rides on the higway, for the rest i take the T7 even when it's not offroad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JB700 said:

I have a GS, a 1150 Adv though and have used it this year for 2 trips of a week or more (road only) and also have a 2020 T700

I find the GS has better road comfort, in terms of seat/suspension and screen and luggage ability

The engine is more relaxed for the road

However I just use the T700 for local rides and a bit gravel trails

yeah, i kinda have same thoughts. buy used 1150 and use it twice a year 😄 

Edited by romancor

I love my newish T7 for a one bike quiver. I like easy off road like dual sports and BDR, and love road rides to nowhere on twisties. Would be a great commuter. But a recent weekend camping ride with the local BMW Club was eye opening because they have these giant GS bikes that I would not want to ride off road or wrestle with every time I go anywhere but are obviously way better for distance riding with a load of gear. After spending the weekend with those guys and gals I have to admit no one bike can do it all. For me the Tenere fails when the mileage goes over 3-400 km a day (200-250 miles) or really long trips where the point is to go very far away! 

5 hours ago, romancor said:

yeah, i kinda have same thoughts. buy used 1150 and use it twice a year 😄 

I have done more miles on my 1150 Adv, this year.............. than my Tenere this year (the Tenere has only just done 6000 miles, in 2.5 years)

• Like 1

This year i'm at 13.000km on my crosstourer and 26.000km on my T7, the coming days i will add a 1000 on the CT because of some meetings and needed storage. Have the Mosko Moto Backcountry 35 panniers on the CT and the R40 or 80 for the T7, not ideal for a laptop.

No reason why you can't do 500km days on the T7, it all comes down to whether or not you have the ergonomics of the bike right for yourself.

• Like 1

BTW although everyone is super happy with ergonomics on T7 for higher people (I'm 6'4), I just can’t get it right and my hands and shoulders are always numb. with protaper evo handelbars.