Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

From WR to T7

BigTex

Howdy everyone,

I traded my beloved WR250R last week for a brand new '22 T7.  So far I'm loving it!!  I've got lots of farkles on the way and this site has been indispensable in my research for what to do to the bike.  I thank you but my wallet does not! 

Anyway, if anyone has any good recommendations for a little off road action in the north Texas area, I'm always looking for more options!

Thanks again!

-Frank

• Like 3

If you are going to go off road, of all the farkles or updates I did, getting the correct springs for the suspension was a great upgrade. The bike is pretty decent stock, but the KYB's really work great with correct springs for my weight-

• Like 1

Thank you!  I'm a big'n so springs are always my first order.   I have RaceTech springs on the way!  Should be fitted this weekend.

• Like 2

Welcome from Fort Worth.

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

• Moderators

Welcome from Arizona. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, Simmons1 said:

Welcome from Fort Worth.

Thanks for the advice on racks, exhaust and the like!

• Like 1

My pleasure.

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Welcome, I agree with Firebolter, I am 235 lbs and the Spings is by far the best farkle for us "bigger" guys.....Second one for we was to upgrade the pegs, went with wider pegs (Black Dog) much better whan you have a Size 13 boot !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 4:42 AM, BigTex said:

Howdy everyone,

I traded my beloved WR250R last week for a brand new '22 T7.  So far I'm loving it!!  I've got lots of farkles on the way and this site has been indispensable in my research for what to do to the bike.  I thank you but my wallet does not! 

Anyway, if anyone has any good recommendations for a little off road action in the north Texas area, I'm always looking for more options!

Thanks again!

-Frank

That WRR could be more or less called the Baby Tenere! One heck of a motorcycle!! Quick question, does the T7 feel easier to flat foot than the WRR?

• Like 1

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

I’m pretty tall so I’ve not had an issue with either bike. With the stock seat though I think the Tenere would be easier. I guess it depends how the sag is set. 

1 hour ago, motonap said:

That WRR could be more or less called the Baby Tenere! One heck of a motorcycle!! Quick question, does the T7 feel easier to flat foot than the WRR?

• 4 weeks later...

Well I took the Tenere on its first Foray into the dirt. It was christened in big bend National park in Texas on a road called Old Ore. it was a blast and the Tenere didn’t bat an eye. 

I dropped her once in a large wash where I took a bad line in the soft, deep gravel but it was great on the steep rocky step sections. The baby heads didn’t pose much of an issue either. Overall, a great day. 

0194DBFA-E991-46D7-BBFC-685AF2505C7F.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, e010584 said:

Why not both?

20221109_120238.jpg

Well for storage space mostly. I may get a dedicated dirt bike at some point but I tend to think of the Tenere as a big dual sport so I couldn’t really justify having two dual sport bikes. To each their own though. 

Edited by BigTex
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BigTex said:

Well for storage space mostly. I may get a dedicated dirt bike at some point but I tend to think of the Tenere as a big dual sport so I couldn’t really justify having two dual sport bikes. To each their own though. 

There is no unicorn, but the WRR definitely is as versatile as the T7 in the lightweight class.  A rally tower would be a nice addition though, even though I do have a small windscreen setup that is easily attached/removed.  I still don't have the heavyweight class covered, but don't intend to.