Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

16t review and first off

razz007

Hello everyone , had 6 days commuting with the 16t front sprocket fitted , very smooth and enjoyable on the lower revs , can still pull away in second easily . After work I went green laning , got court by a rut and jumped off I did , tripped over the mirror and did a spectacular roll in the mud . With all the rain this week , the lanes were amazing , I want mud tyres that I can comutte on too . What a brilliant bike , I picked up , cleared the mud from the foot peg n brake , and carried on we did . Found some 2ft plus deep puddles , she did great , really great 

E6F6DD22-9841-4BF2-B480-E617D384DE67.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I choose the 45 rear after trying the 16 front.
16 front is 500rpm less at 130km on the speedo and the 45 is 200 less.
Had no problems with the 16 front where i mostly ride offroad but for the commute i have a lot of overtaking and there i noticed some delay.

• Like 3

Just wanted to point out other options, can be worth trying.
I like to have choices but to have choices you need to know what is out there, one of the best things about forums.

• Like 3

if you want golden commute and mud tires.. thy dont exist.

i love my Australian motoz tires tough.   right now i have the adventure tractionators.

love em. but if you want traction the rallz's are the way to go.

i care less about price and more about traction / km's on 1 set of tires.

the rallz front i would not advice.

did 12000 on a rallz rear and a adventure 41x battle axe.  [this was on the Tet. fresh put on before i went on this trip]

did  13000 on the adventure motoz set. and still going. [expect it to end around 15. but this is an estimate]

if you want comfort dont go mud tires at all.. as you will have non.

• Like 1

I agree with CoreCass, the Rallz front is NOT the Tire for commuting.  However it is great off road.  

Rallz rear is a great over all tire but not ideal for commuting.  It is for sure doable but not ideal.  

Michelin Anakee Wilds are great front and rear for commuting.  However, the rear tire will be toast in 2500 miles/4000km.   The front tire will at least double the life of the rear.  

Consider the Anakee front and the Motoz Adventure rear.  This should be a great combination for commuting tires with plenty of off road traction.  

GOOD LUCK!!

DB20B366-0B2B-439D-A4D7-1CE17D3009C8.jpeg

B92B850E-BD12-4C5B-9247-285EE9126444.png

• Like 1

16 tooth is a winner! Great for commuting and highways. Probably gained 1 km/L in commuting in heavy traffic and up to 3 km/L for highway rides. I also prefer the 16t for trail rides. First gear is not as herky-jerky anymore. But you do lose some torque if you're a Pol Tarres type of rider.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I choose the 45 rear after trying the 16 front.
16 front is 500rpm less at 130km on the speedo and the 45 is 200 less.
Had no problems with the 16 front where i mostly ride offroad but for the commute i have a lot of overtaking and there i 

1 hour ago, katana said:

The stock Pirelli tyres are the best compromise.

The stock tyres are a great 50/50 tyre unless it’s quite wet.

I’m still using them as I figure they’re brand new and I paid for them and I expected to crack the shits and buy new tyres but really, with this dry weather we’ve had in the Hunter they really are a great tyre as long as you remember they are a 50/50.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoreCass said:

i love my Australian motoz tires tough.   right now i have the adventure tractionators.

love em. but if you want traction the rallz's are the way to go.

The rallz wander like crazy. Those stepped offset centre lugs just love to wiggle the bike.

Tractionator Adventure is the go if you want MotoZ

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Definitely and I'd actually like to try your rear cog setup myself, mate.

Ditto,  when I replace chain the first time - 45T

• Like 1

Razz, thanks for the review of the 16. I have one sitting in the garage waiting for the temps to go over 40 and it’s not looking good. Too F^*@#%^! cold for me to ride anyway. 

I haven’t swapped tires on the T yet, I find the stock Pirellis work pretty well for my riding areas. My rear wear bars are gone at 1700 miles, I’m thinking 3k would be the limit for the rear and the front should be good for 7k. 

I recently installed Kenda 270s on my little 19hp (240 pound) air cooled enduro. They have better grip in the slop than the Pirellis but I’m haven’t tested them with three times the power and two times the weight of the T. On the road the 270s work well and don’t have much noise but I like the Pirellis for the road carving on the T. 

2C0778E6-181E-4566-9FBE-23244D5992D8.jpeg

• Like 3