Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Stopping with a too tall T7

NeilW

I was looking for something else and came across this informative video about how to stop and not fall over when you seat height exceeds your inseam.

This is a good video on butt slide technique which I used for 10 years on my xr250 and sort of forgot about until recently for my T7.

As someone who's ~5'6" with a ~29" inseam, this is pretty much the only way I can stop with my T7, which is already equipped with a 20mm lowering link and a SC low seat, with any semblance of stability.

• Like 2

I'm tall and  haven't ever had a problem, except...  When the ground was lower on one side and I hadn't noticed.  I think this an excellent technique Neil, and I especially like the fact I can practice it on the center stand 😀  I'm a big fan of practicing techniques over and over and that's hard with something like this because you only do it when stopping, which we tend not to do all that much.  Another technique, a favorite of mine is the bar punch.  I come up to a manhole cover and hit a bar forward so the bike dives away from the obstacle, then you have to immediately right the bike by another big input.  It's saved my bacon once or twice on road bikes and used less aggressively has helped my avoid a few nasty potholes on the T7.

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

As someone who's ~5'6" with a ~29" inseam, this is pretty much the only way I can stop with my T7, which is already equipped with a 20mm lowering link and a SC low seat, with any semblance of stability.

I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam.  Pretty similar to you.  I had a custom seat made not only for comfort but it dropped the height down maybe an inch at the most, but I also bought a set of Daytona Boots, which have a 1" higher heal than normal boots.  My heels still aren't on the ground, but they're closer than before.

Didn't want to lower the bike with longer dogbones and more fork above the triple trees, as that would reduce the bike's ground clearance which was one reason I sold my VStrom and bought the T7.

Definitely tallest bike I've ever owned, just going to take some getting used to.

• Like 1

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

I have a 30" inseam and since installing knobby tires on my T-7 I am having a hard time when stopping on uneven ground. I can barely get a foot down, more like a toe if I completely lean over. Im seriously considering putting the Pirelli's back on the bike. They rock on road and honestly I do just fine offroad on em too. Cept for in sand. 

11 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

I have a 30" inseam and since installing knobby tires on my T-7 I am having a hard time when stopping on uneven ground. I can barely get a foot down, more like a toe if I completely lean over. Im seriously considering putting the Pirelli's back on the bike. They rock on road and honestly I do just fine offroad on em too. Cept for in sand. 

Just sharing as I am 30" inseam also that you have to plan your stops- even just as you are stopping, right or left side and slide your butt off and put that foot down solid. If you happen to put it on gravel etc and it slips out, at least your butt will already be off the seat as the bike drops. I have had the bike for 15 months and truth be told I am not doing the more technical stuff any more but I haven't dropped it  in over 6 months. 

This was when I stopped cross rutted in mud - it wasn't the stop but the start out 

This was the second day I owned it on the side of Hwy 1 near Hearst Castle, just mounting - it was lowered but with the stock kickstand

There are 8 more drops that I didn't bother to post.

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Just sharing as I am 30" inseam also that you have to plan your stops- even just as you are stopping, right or left side and slide your butt off and put that foot down solid. If you happen to put it on gravel etc and it slips out, at least your butt will already be off the seat as the bike drops. I have had the bike for 15 months and truth be told I am not doing the more technical stuff any more but I haven't dropped it  in over 6 months. 

Have never dropped mine either. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Have never dropped mine either. 

I updated the above post with videos of it going down .....

• Like 1

On regular dirt / gravel roads street tires will do Ok.   No deep sand, mud, or deep gravel.

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

On 11/23/2022 at 11:13 AM, NeilW said:

This was the second day I owned it on the side of Hwy 1 near Hearst Castle, just mounting

- it was lowered but with the stock kickstand

Yeah you had everything going against you on the first day drop.  Off camber shoulder, and you pointing down into it, turning the bars right just as you mounted.  Lots of good tips there, on what not to do lol.  I was impressed by how easily you picked it up there

11 minutes ago, winddown said:

Yeah you had everything going against you on the first day drop.  Off camber shoulder, and you pointing down into it, turning the bars right just as you mounted.  Lots of good tips there, on what not to do lol.  I was impressed by how easily you picked it up there

“Public Adrenaline” helps 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/27/2022 at 11:25 AM, NeilW said:

“Public Adrenaline” helps 🙂

Actually with the OEM hard bags the bike is easy to use the back up with the butt technique.

My bike came up a bit with the Touratech suspension and i can't flatfoot both feet at the same time and i also want a OEM rally seat which will add even more. Never understood the need for that but maybe it's because i learned riding when i was an early teen on a way too big dirtbike.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

My bike came up a bit with the Touratech suspension and i can't flatfoot both feet at the same time and i also want a OEM rally seat which will add even more. Never understood the need for that but maybe it's because i learned riding when i was an early teen on a way too big dirtbike.

I only cared about being able to put both feet down on the T7 when I was riding technical, deep rutted, slippery, narrow trails. I learned my lesson and don't do that any more. I have thought about putting it back to stock height but no reason to since I don't need the ground clearance for the fun adventures I now ride.

• Like 1