Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Fixing crooked handlebars/forks

DonaNobisPacem

Question

This might seem like a pretty basic question, but how exactly do you straighten out crooked handlebars/forks? I'm not talking about the scenario when the handlebar itself is physically bent, but the more common scenario where the handlebar and the wheels aren't perfectly perpendicular to each other, usually after a drop.

To be more specific, which bolts should you loosen specifically for our T7s? I've read and watched a handful of guides, and while there are a variety of common techniques that people have used to some effect, such as:

• Repeatedly pumping the front forks
  • Repeatedly pinning the wheel and grabbing the brake
  • Pinning the wheel between the legs and manually straightening it out
  • Smacking the wheel back to proper alignment

I've noticed that they're actually pretty inconsistent when it comes to which bolts to loosen first. Some suggest to loosen both the upper and lower bolts on the triple clamp, some just the lower and the wheel axle bolts, sometimes it's all three, and sometimes it also includes the steering stem bolt. While I understand that some of that might just be up to personal preference, I think it would be great to just know the bare minimum of things to fiddle with for simplicity's sake. Especially since I have a feeling that doing something like loosening both the upper and lower triple clamp bolts and doing the front fork pumping method is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

Watching this one… I have the World Raid with the same issue. I cannot even reach the upper and lower fork properly bolts because of the fairing.  Gonna try and take it all apart this weekend.

For the T7, the lower triple clamp bolts is enough. Loosen them, get the front wheel between your knees, and pull on the handlebars accordingly.  Don't tighten right away though. Ride it first up and down your street to see if it is aligned already. When you're satisfied, tighten the bolts back.

I also found that you can realign it with your knees if you open the lower triple clamp bolts. But with only them open the forks dont't seem to align themselves with just rocking it up and down. 

Imo if you want to have it 100% straight you need to open the top triple clamp bolt to align them by pumping the forks, but I did not try that yet. With the knees it works in a pinch but it's more or less guesswork. 

The handle bar clamp can also be bent after a crash.

Remove the clamp and put it on a flat surface.  This will highlight if the bent (all the contact points don't touch).  They are a bit soft.   You can straighten the clamp in a vice with a large shifter (or adjustable wrench for the yanks).

I’ve owned my ‘21 T7 for a whopping four days and already have several upgrades planned for it. First and foremost is fork and shock springs for my weight. I noticed when I rode it a couple days ago, I had to steer slightly right to go straight. I’m taking the forks off to change springs and to change the 2-year old fork oil. I figured I would go through the alignment process during reassembly.

I have read numerous postings and replies in this forum about the cause and remedy for a misaligned front wheel. I understand all that. What I would like to know from those of you experienced in removing and installing for legs on the T7, is this…. When you loosen the top and bottom triple clamps, does the fork tube slide out easily? Do you have to be ready to catch the tube when you loosen the last pinch bolt? I ask, because mine didn’t drop like that. I had to twist and pull to remove them.

I’ve read about the top triple clamp moving after a spill*, and I’m pretty sure that’s what has happened. IF it’s supposed to be a loose slide-in fit for the fork legs, I’ll loosen the top clamp center nut, when I reassemble the forks. In my experience, forks tubes have always slid easily through the clamps when they are properly aligned. Just want to confirm regarding the T7.

*Note: The PO admitted dropping the bike, as I examined the scuffed crash bars and windshield edge.

On 11/28/2022 at 3:22 AM, Goody Boy said:

For the T7, the lower triple clamp bolts is enough. Loosen them, get the front wheel between your knees, and pull on the handlebars accordingly.  Don't tighten right away though. Ride it first up and down your street to see if it is aligned already. When you're satisfied, tighten the bolts back.

Not sure if riding with loose triple clamp bolts is a good idea

What I did is:

1. loosen front wheel axle pinch bolts

2. loosen front wheel axle

3. Loosen lower triple clamp bolts

weigh down on the suspension with my body a few times.

1. tighten pinch bolts

2. tighten front wheel axle but not too much

3. tighten lower triple clamp bolt (upper bolt first then lower, one side at a time)

4. finish tightening the front wheel axle

5. Loosen upper triple clamp (to release any remaining tension)

6. weigh down on the bike with my body

7. tighten upper triple clamp (upper bolt first, lower bolt second, one side at a time)

Many experienced people say that loosening the main center nut is the last resort, so no need.

Edited by Oxxa

Lot of over-thinking going on here.

Misalignment isn't a T7 issue.

In 50 odd years of riding I have encountered misalignment a few times and have fixed by loosening the top triple clamp and straightening the forks the tighten up.

Simples!

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.