Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

R6 throttle mod review

razz007

It’s simple , it’s easy , no more aching wrist for me . I only had 50 miles or so on the standard throttle tube before I went R6 . So with 450 miles on and off road , I can safely say the R6 tube is awesome . Easier off road too . Lovely . First service booked in shortly . I’ve been playing about with body position when commuting , full on flat out Dakar mod engaged . What a laugh , flat out is so easy in these .  I am really starting to enjoy it . I got some time off over Xmas and am hopeful for some proper green lane fun 23A16B2C-798A-4282-A255-024C4E004B0E.jpeg.d01ef2de62b4ad2538ec16be8b859954.jpeg

• Like 1

oke but you have more explanation why and how ?  love to see that info so i can or wont consider this my self

3 hours ago, CoreCass said:

oke but you have more explanation why and how ?  love to see that info so i can or wont consider this my self

TLDR: bigger cam, shorter throw 

The standard was to much twist , hence the quicker ratio R6 tube , much comfier on the wrist and easy to sit at full chat . I suspect heated grips would fit as the tube is a Yamaha tube 

Oh I see , we’ll on mine I’d fit an MT09 heated grips kit , cos that’s the length of my shortest grip on the throttle , mind you , still got the standard one on the left . 

• 11 months later...

Any spesific adjustments to make the R6 tube fit? I tried myself but the throttle is sticking...

9 hours ago, teneree said:

Any spesific adjustments to make the R6 tube fit? I tried myself but the throttle is sticking...

Nope , all I did was adjust the throttle cables to suit 

• Like 2

I find the throttle cables very sensitive to routing. At one point after swapping the handlebar I had them routed over the master to reduce binding that no amount of graphite would fix.

advgoats.com

7 hours ago, JRS700 said:

Less twist of the throttle is fine on the highway but off road that could be a problem with the low end torque that the T7 has. 

It might come down to personal preference, regardless of riding surface. But I am actually doing the same mod specifically for use off-road. It comes quite handy, because it makes it easier to blip the throttle if you for example need to lift the front wheel and for all other cases where you need a sudden burst of power - like short run-ups. Yes, you need to be more gentle. But at the same time, the lessened angle on the wrist makes good posture and grip easier to maintain.

The obvious question then becomes; Why is it not like this from the factory? Well, it is safer for Yamaha I guess since a larger throw does make it harder to WT the thing and, as you pointed out - it does have quite a bit of torque down low. So it is more on the rider to match the input according to the required power

I am interested in trying this.  Would make wacking the throttle open for front wheel lifts less effort.  Does it not cause the fuelling to be twitchy?

• 2 months later...

I am curious about how far the throttle turns stock  and consequently how far with the the R6 throttle tube. My 22 has  a 1/4 turn throttle. Can anyone note that and post the next time they're  out for a  ride? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2024 at 2:10 PM, Budo said:

I am curious about how far the throttle turns stock  and consequently how far with the the R6 throttle tube. My 22 has  a 1/4 turn throttle. Can anyone note that and post the next time they're  out for a  ride? 

Did you ever figure this out?

advgoats.com

Hi @random1781

No, no one ever answered, however I think the answer lies in the cam that throttles sometimes have where the cable connects. That's what makes sense to me at the moment. I like your travels, the rally tower and your website. Fun stuff!

Cheers, Budo 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 9:47 PM, razz007 said:

It’s simple , it’s easy , no more aching wrist for me . I only had 50 miles or so on the standard throttle tube before I went R6 . So with 450 miles on and off road , I can safely say the R6 tube is awesome . Easier off road too . Lovely . First service booked in shortly . I’ve been playing about with body position when commuting , full on flat out Dakar mod engaged . What a laugh , flat out is so easy in these .  I am really starting to enjoy it . I got some time off over Xmas and am hopeful for some proper green lane fun 23A16B2C-798A-4282-A255-024C4E004B0E.jpeg.d01ef2de62b4ad2538ec16be8b859954.jpeg

I would like to do this mod but I imagine the R6 throttle tube length is shorter that the T7 tube. How is the instalation done? Do you need to add the rubber spacer made for the OEM heated grips?