Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 v's Tenere World Raid

JB700

I have had my Euro4 Tenere 700 for 2 years and done 6000 miles on it.

I like the lightness and flickability of it, combines with the fact it can do backroads/offroad etc

Only downside is the suspension needs a bit throwing at it, to make it better

I tried a Tenere World Raid in the summer, for an hour and found the seat comfier and stock suspension much better (especially the forks), however the tanks make the bike a lot wider at front, dunno how much fuel was on board, but it didn't feel a lot heavier

Looking around a dealers last weekend, they had a blue WRaid in stock and available, so offered me a deal for my bike and 5000 in cash (basically just shy of double what they valued my bike at, bearing in mind the WRaid is 11800)

Not too bad a deal, but I am unsure if the WRaid is worth double the value of my bike and for 5000 I could sort the suspension for a lot less than that?

It's always a dilemma swapping bikes, chasing a dream it's gonna be better.............but will it be?

Any WRaid owners comment?

IMG_5557.jpg

yamaha-tenere-700-world-raid-2022-blue_485839.jpg

Edited by JB700

36 minutes ago, JB700 said:

I like the lightness and flickability of it, combines with the fact it can do backroads/offroad etc

I tried a Tenere World Raid in the summer, for an hour and found the seat comfier and stock suspension much better (especially the forks), however the tanks make the bike a lot wider at front, dunno how much fuel was on board, but it didn't feel a lot heavier

Looking around a dealers last weekend, they had a blue WRaid in stock and available, so offered me a deal for my bike and 5000 in cash (basically just shy of double what they valued my bike at, bearing in mind the WRaid is 11800)

Not too bad a deal, but I am unsure if the WRaid is worth double the value of my bike and for 5000 I could sort the suspension for a lot less than that?

It's always a dilemma swapping bikes, chasing a dream it's gonna be better.............but will it be?

IMG_5557.jpg

So basically they "pay" you 6800 for your T7?

Im pretty sure you could get 2000 more easily, given its low mileage.

Suspension upgrade - top of the line Tractive or Touratech - will cost you a lot less then 5000. I guess even for 2k you can get much better suspension for your bike than the WR OEM suspension.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lewie said:

My local dealer has a ‘22 WR for £10k - 220 miles in the clock

My local dealer was offering me a 'not so special deal' for Christmas, when he rang back to chase me up.............I said he's out of ballpark in UK, at RRP

I think I will wait

Not sure the World Raid is any better, than a normal Tenere 700, which has had Rally Raid Open  cartridges and shock (my preferred suspension upgrade in 2023)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Suspension upgrade - top of the line Tractive or Touratech - will cost you a lot less then 5000. I guess even for 2k you can get much better suspension for your bike than the WR OEM suspension.

Probably not - I only paid £8600 for mine new

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

I am thinking the same, it would sell for more privately, but trading is less hassle (the price you pay for convenience)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

Probably not - I only paid £8600 for mine new

For sure, they had a brand new 2021/2 (old graphic) blue Euro 5 for £8400 out the door, which was a complete bargain, so £6700/800 for mine was a good shout

• Like 2

When I bought mine they were getting some of the newer colours in but as you obviously are aware the white / red is definitely the best 

• Like 1

You will never be happy with a new bike and there is no such thing as easy.
A bike is made for an average public and you are just one part that got them to that average level.
Our job is to go from that average to the bike that is made for us.
You already mentioned the first problem, in other words it isn't better it just have different negatives that will start to annoy and 1 or 2 years after switching there will be another bike that eliminates those problems with a whole other set of problems because you are just a small percentage of that average person for whom the bike is build.
My bike will be the price of the best bike you can buy by the time i'm finished but that best bike still is a bike build for an average person and my bike will be build for me and if something's wrong i build it wrong.
Only big plus for me is that i only need to spend money on parts and not labour to get them fitted and some things i can custom (re)build.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

When I bought mine they were getting some of the newer colours in but as you obviously are aware the white / red is definitely the best 

Limited Edition now😊😆

Edited by JB700
  • Haha 2

Some good advice here, my bike with only 6000 miles is barely run in

I think I shall keep the 5000 they wanted and buy some  suspension farkles for 2023

• Like 2

On 12/15/2022 at 11:40 AM, JB700 said:

IMG_5557.jpg

So they were only  offering £6800 for yours? 😳I’d sell private then pay in cash. 
or have two. 😉

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2022 at 11:44 AM, Dougie said:

So they were only  offering £6800 for yours? 😳I’d sell private then pay in cash. 
or have two. 😉

2 would be an indulgence

The WR is a good bike but I wouldn't change from the standard T7 for the current WR.

Suspension can be upgraded for less and so can the fuel range.

The only thing that'll make me trade the T7 is a lighter T7.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Danrides said:

The WR is a good bike but I wouldn't change from the standard T7 for the current WR.

Suspension can be upgraded for less and so can the fuel range.

The only thing that'll make me trade the T7 is a lighter T7.

Sorry I must have misread that

06D00238-F6D2-4FAC-967F-6F25A669F58F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

would not even think of trading it in.

just the fuel tank and suspension 1500.

300 for a different seat [rally seat  not rally version it is for me]

can say i match close. if you dont care for abs front / rear  or a colored display [dont look at my display that much]

this can also be modded.  i just plugged the rear abs port and ran a straight line to the rear. [front id like the abs to be as it is]

so to me its silly to sell mine for just a display and the ability to of the abs switch.

and a lot wider.

• Like 2

For the money I don't see anything on the new Raid to attract me.  If I had my time over and they were there in the shop side by side I'd still get the original.   The big tank is the main selling point and for long distance travelers I can certainly see the attraction, but the range on the old model suits many average riders just fine.  Many I think would have liked to see the T7 come to market a little smaller, or at least a little lighter, the Raid seems to a move in the opposite direction, albeit only if you fill the tank right up.

But the Price!  $19,500 I paid for my 2022 T7 down here, the Raid is $25,500.  That extra $6000 I actually spent on mine but I got the best Wilbers suspension (shop installed) Hp Corse pipe, the pivot pegs, OEM crash bars, evo levers, Bark busters, Bagster tank bag, and an $800 Scotts steering damper.  If I bought the raid I'd still want to buy a lot of that kit so in reality the bike would cost me nearly $30k.

56334886_T7NEW.jpg.1b59d4adc4b1ce509ece6f16e19e330e.jpg

1393196280_t7modded.jpg.572d021bd74726df8e394ce142904fbd.jpg

I think for $25,500 they could have put a decent high pipe on it along with the damper.  What do you get instead?  A color screen.  😁   

And perhaps a damper that doesn't stick out like dog's balls, I wonder if anyone is having issues with tank bags?  I just don't see the value in this upgrade, and value was a big part of the T7's attraction to me.

1113870464_RALLYRAIDDAMPER.jpg.413d8562a38c683c0c9239273abcc8fd.jpg

655479817_SCOTTSDAMPER.jpg.c10e3a2f1b6ea464693fdf845dbb6bff.jpg

• Like 2

I sat on the Raid at the dealer and what I noticed first ist that there is only limited leg room due to the tank.

My knees were already at the wide part  and my legs were spread apart.  I also noticed this when I was following a WR rider in the summer. On the standard T7 there is basically unlimited leg room forward in comparison, and I much prefer that. For that reason alone I would probably buy another standard-T7 when there is a worthwhile update.

Edited by OK185
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OK185 said:

I sat on the Raid at the dealer and what I noticed first ist that there is only limited leg room due to the tank.

My knees were already at the wide part  and my legs were spread apart.  I also noticed this when I was following a WR rider in the summer. On the standard T7 there is basically unlimited leg room forward in comparison, and I much prefer that. For that reason alone I would probably buy another standard-T7 when there is a worthwhile update.

I can confirm that. I liked the seat profile of the WR better than the standard seat, and it felt more comfortable. But I have the Rally seat anyway, which I like even better, especially offroad.

The wider spread knees when sitting reminded me of the AT which I rode once.

Since I have H&B upper crash bars, my knees are spread a little bit more (perhaps 1-2cm each side) already- but the WR was even wider AND limited in the forward direction.

To be honest, it felt good when sitting on it nevertheless. But it felt slightly more like a roadbike.

55 minutes ago, OK185 said:

+1

I was set to buy the WR but decided to check the ergonomics and found me knees (im 187 cm and lon legs) to touch the tank and that without kneee guards. Sat on the regular T7 and it felt just right.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, beakster said:

+1

I was set to buy the WR but decided to check the ergonomics and found me knees (im 187 cm and lon legs) to touch the tank and that without kneee guards. Sat on the regular T7 and it felt just right.

Probably very similar to my experience, since I'm the same size and also have long legs.

The Rally seat might be a REAL relieve for your knees (and it is more comfortable as well). Flatfooting still possible.

• Like 1

I think when modding a bike a rider should think about how long they intend to keep it.  I see lots of bikes heavily modded and then sold and you never get that money back, never get a chance to really enjoy the mods either.  If you're the sort of rider that flips bikes every 2 or 3 years for the latest model that can become quite an expensive exercise. 

• Like 2