Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

:..Would you still buy the T7..:

hANNAbONE

So would you owners of the T7 still buy it after learning it's Nit's & Picks.??

We all know that the Yamaha is a reliable and notable scoot, great dealer network, but does the lack of tech, tubed tires, lack of cruise, LED lighting, etc turn you off??

Does the lack of a upgraded suspension get under your skin after you've logged several 1000 miles.?

That torture saddle make you ready to move to something else?

are there items that must be added to make it a ride you will keep - or will you upgrade to another marque, or to the World Raid?

Ball is in your court - hit it back....

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hANNAbONE said:

So would you owners of the T7 still buy it after learning it's Nit's & Picks.?? Absolutely yes!

We all know that the Yamaha is a reliable and notable scoot, great dealer network, but does the lack of tech, tubed tires, lack of cruise, LED lighting, etc turn you off?? Low tech = +, Tubed tires for off-road =+, no cruise? Depends on use, if you never venture off-road, then a cruise will be missed.  LED lights are standard,  not sure what you're referring to.

Does the lack of a upgraded suspension get under your skin after you've logged several 1000 miles.? Upgraded rear spring for $100, not a big deal.

That torture saddle make you ready to move to something else? Lots of aftermarket seats to be had and an uncomfortable oem seat is pretty much standard on every bike out there.

are there items that must be added to make it a ride you will keep - or will you upgrade to another marque, or to the World Raid? I'm keeping my standard T7, no need to change unless you just have to have a TFT display. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

The T7 is a real deal adventure bike. It can really do what it says it can.

That said, no it is not a bike that is comfortable pounding 500 miles a day on.

Plus, it is only $10,000 US dollars (a real bargain) so it lacks "gadgets".

Reading between the lines, I don't think it is right for you...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

1 hour ago, hANNAbONE said:

So would you owners of the T7 still buy it after learning it's Nit's & Picks.??

We all know that the Yamaha is a reliable and notable scoot, great dealer network, but does the lack of tech, tubed tires, lack of cruise, LED lighting, etc turn you off??

Does the lack of a upgraded suspension get under your skin after you've logged several 1000 miles.?

That torture saddle make you ready to move to something else?

are there items that must be added to make it a ride you will keep - or will you upgrade to another marque, or to the World Raid?

Hell yes!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RioRideNM said:

No reservations here. I have 2. 

Dang.!! I guess you like it then.

Why 2 though???

You listed most of the things that would put me off if they did fit them, so yes. My rally seat is also 6 hour comfortable too. I think the only disappointed people would be ones who bought it thinking it was something other than a reliable round world travel bike for rough terrain. All teneres have been for this purpose. (Not talking 1200s). Luv em. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually ended up with a T7 and a 2016 Africa twin in June 2020. I really liked the Africa twin, but was a bit big overall. For my riding style, i said why not make maintenance and part sourcing easy. Pulled the trigger on a second T7 to replace the AT and havent looked back.

One is very much dirt setup. Rally tires, bare essentials, and spends 80% of its time off road. Single track in the desert and mountains in New Mexico. 
Second is the date night bike and the one i use to travel a bit further when needed. 4-6 hours in the saddle type of days. 

mostly, its a tire change that a second set of wheels could have handled. But as often as i ride, i would be changing wheels 2-3x a week or burning through Bridgestone E50 front tires and 908rr rears. 

StreeT just passed 6k miles

DirT is close to 7500. 

i will preface, this is a combo/setup that works for me and i am lucky enough to be able to have multiple bikes. I understand many do not have the luxury. But just think of what you need/want. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely would buy it again. I got mine in March of 22 and put about 4k mi on it mostly dirt roads in SW/SE Oregon. As with any bike, it depends on what you're looking for. For me, reliability, parts availability, dealer network and ability to do a decent job on both paved and dirt surfaces. If you're looking for a bike to cover long distances/multiple days, the T7 may not be the best choice (minimal wind protection, lack of cruise control, etc.), but some use it for that purpose.  Most of my riding is solo in fairly remote areas, so reliability is near the top of my list. So far not a single problem with the T7.  

Edited by SO_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My T7 is my favorite of all the bikes I've ever owned in almost 50 years of riding. Just got rid of my "high tech" 2014 R1200GS as it was spending more time in the garage corner as I couldn't stay off the T7. I don't want/need/miss ride modes, color TFT screen, BT connectivity, etc, etc. Thought I'd really miss cruise control after riding with it for 8 years, but I haven't on the T7.

After fitting a stiffer rear spring, small shield spoiler (quiet and no more helmet buffeting), 23 liter Acerbis fuel tank (provides ~ 350 mile range) and sturdy skid plate I'm all set. Stock seat works fine for me.

An R1200RT replaced the GS, used for really cold weather rides due to its weather protection and it will get the nod for long pavement-only cross country stuff, but the T7 is perfect for the other 90% of my riding.

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No, i would not.
I love the bike and i don't want anything else. It came in as a side piece but pushed my main bike to that position but i will never buy the new one (the EU 2023)
Why? They destroyed the essence with the TFT and modes, one of the main reasons i love this bike is the lack of electrical items i cannot fix with tools i can't carry or have no use carrying because it only tells me a sensor has failed and needs to be changed.
Don't waste your time telling me those thins never break, in that case it just didn't happen to you or someone you know (yet) and it certainly won't happen to me on a trail because i stay with my T7 and probably will end up redoing this bike because i'm afraid it just gets worse in the future.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

No, i would not.
I love the bike and i don't want anything else. It came in as a side piece but pushed my main bike to that position but i will never buy the new one (the EU 2023)
Why? They destroyed the essence with the TFT and modes, one of the main reasons i love this bike is the lack of electrical items i cannot fix with tools i can't carry or have no use carrying because it only tells me a sensor has failed and needs to be changed.
Don't waste your time telling me those thins never break, in that case it just didn't happen to you or someone you know (yet) and it certainly won't happen to me on a trail because i stay with my T7 and probably will end up redoing this bike because i'm afraid it just gets worse in the future.

Great point. I forget of the changes. One of the reasons i chose identical year MY2021 👍

• Like 2

Had the Aprilia Toureg 660 been out when I got my T7 that’s what I would have gotten instead. 
For $10k the T7 is a hell of a bike. There’s no way I would have paid what others have, it’s not a $12k bike. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My use case is 90% forest roads and trails, and some sandy beach and desert trails. I purchased my T7 in Dec 2019 and even at todays price of nearly $20k AUD would buy it again. I ride alone most of the time and reliability is very high on my list of requirements. I always intended on upgrading the suspension and reducing the weight which now weighs 190kgs with 16 litres of fuel, tubeless wheels and has runs Rally Raid and Ohlins suspension. There is nothing else on the market yet that can compete with that performance, weight and reliability. There is the Kove 800 coming soon which is an interesting proposition going in the right direction, but I would hesitate buying a bike from a country we are at war with, and reliability/support/parts is a complete unknown.

Enjoy the incomparable riding experience

My son is looking at getting an adventure bike and his use case is different. He wants something for 80% commuting and sometimes riding in the forest with me. His choices are either Honda Africa Twin 1100 (base model), DesertX or Husqvarna Norden 901. Weight is much less of an issue for him (he is 38 years younger than me). Each has their issues. Honda will need some work to fit him at nearly 198cm (6'6"), DesertX has some concerns about cost of parts and servicing with horror stories of Ducati not providing warranty due to a service being 250kms overdue. And the Norden is a KTM, with rattly engine and questionable reliability, but at least looks good. 

If I was buying for my son now, I would lean towards the Tuareg, which ticks all the boxes, is reasonably priced, has cruise control and the dealer is only about 30 minutes away.

20221218_155638[1].jpg

• Thanks 1

I put a deposit down on mine MONTHS before I even knew I would get one, let alone actually receive one. I would do it again. Anytime. I love it. I would however budget the roughly $17k CAD I have into mine BEFORE I ordered it. Save a LOT of explaining to my SO that I 'need' this or that!

• Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

14 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

Save a LOT of explaining to my SO that I 'need' this or that!

"S/O"... I call mine "The War Department"

• Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I can't complain about my S/O in that sense as she is complicit to my habits, just asks a lot of questions sometimes. 7 bikes in the garage, and still married 30 years...😀

• Like 4

I think I have Yamaha disease...

thumbnail.jpeg.bd8e37dd98e2969899a7dc1816a465d2.jpeg

Would I buy another? Well, just did.

I was one of the lucky ones who got one in the early lottery in 2020. Rode it for 4k miles and ended up selling it as I was riding more and more dirt and with only 1 bike at the time because I didn't have the space for more, I sold it and bought a new 2021 Husqvarna FE501. LOVE that bike. She's a jack rabbit. But it is not a mile chaser by any means.

Just finished building a new shop on my property and now I have space for some wheels.

So, I have friends that are wanting to do some long trips this summer, and I have a few bucket list long distance trips as well in mind, so for the last 5 months I've been looking at used 990's for around $7-$8k but it's a 10 year old bike and got the price of the new KTM 890 out the door which was $18k when it arrives. Ouch. But was ready to put down a deposit. 

Thought long and hard about this, and ultimately I realized that the intent of my next bike purchase is for being far far away from home riding BDR's in different States, up to Jasper Canada and to Alaska and back and the more I thought about it, I realized that the very most important paramount thing to me with this adventure bike was reliability, and being away far from home with a broken bikes sucks. And as much as I love that 890, there are known issues. And the CP2 motor is regarded as one, if not THE most reliable and dependable motor ever made. And the low end torque of that thing is just awesome when standing and riding dirt. it feels so much like a WR450 when steering and drifting corners. 

So 2 weeks ago, found a basically brand new barely ridden 2022 Tenere 700 with only 900 miles and lots of upgrade for cheap and I couldn't pass it up. Drove 3 hours each way to grab it. 

As soon as I got home and rode it, I realized just how much I missed the one I sold the year previous, and wont be selling this one as it's my long distance purpose built bucket list bike. Wont be selling the FE501 either because Jesus, that thing is a freaking hooligan and lays down smiles for dirty miles. 

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Canzvt said:

I put a deposit down on mine MONTHS before I even knew I would get one, let alone actually receive one. I would do it again. Anytime. I love it. I would however budget the roughly $17k CAD I have into mine BEFORE I ordered it. Save a LOT of explaining to my SO that I 'need' this or that!

yes...did this with my 2012 Super Tenere - simply ordered it and waited. I received a very early VIN # 112 -- so it was hot off the press. Rode it for almost 40K sMiles. Great Bike...and 3 Yamaha's later I am still thinking of the 4th in a row Yamaha. Thanks for your reply.

Would I still buy it? Hell yes! Sold the Transalp, sold the WR450, got the Tènèrè, modded accordingly, and found peace.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

To be honest The Tuareg is better almost everywhere beside the price and look , so i would take a hard look and test one if im looking at buying a new bike  before id chose to the T7 rout.

The Tuareg might cost a bit more but youl spend that money anyway on the T7 just to try to get near the level of handling it has.

I own a T7 because im not in the mraket / budget for a new bike and as a used bike deal you get good value for your money with the T7. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Actually I have even added the Norden 901 to the short list of contenders.

It also has all the bells and whistles, much like the Aprilia 660 Tuareg.

Why on earth didn't MommaYamaha add tubeless tires and cruise to the World Raid -- I would have been all over that.

Time is an Ally for me - so I am taking my time and devouring all the info I can in these long (*short*) days of winter.

Thanks for your reply.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hANNAbONE said:

Why on earth didn't MommaYamaha add tubeless tires and cruise to the World Raid

Because they know tubeless and cruise are useless offroad. All the other bikes are touring bikes which can handle a bit offroad and the T7 is an offroad bike capable of the roadtrip to the tracks you haven't seen yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Interceptor said:

To be honest The Tuareg is better almost everywhere beside the price and look , so i would take a hard look and test one if im looking at buying a new bike  before id chose to the T7 rout.

The Tuareg might cost a bit more but youl spend that money anyway on the T7 just to try to get near the level of handling it has.

I own a T7 because im not in the mraket / budget for a new bike and as a used bike deal you get good value for your money with the T7. 

Time will tell which one is better.

On paper its only real advantages are its bigger suspension travel and cruise control.

I personally don't count traction control etc an advantage, that's rather a gimmick. At least on the T7 I can only confirm what countless more experienced riders said: your right hand is your traction control.

It might be that other bikes need it more than the T7.

But every direct comparison test seems to confirm that the CP2 engine is still king. And that's the heart of any bike.

• Like 3

fair enough...just to let you all know, everything is still on the table. (well, except for that silly Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki)

• Haha 1