Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

:.So many questions on T7 Touring..:

hANNAbONE

I have come most recently from a brand new 2012 Super Tenere' with Jesse Bags & to my current FJR 1300A with OEM saddlebags.

I do love to have a bike that will sport-tour and do long hours to get to the mountains or destination. Both of the bike ^^up there^^ did/do just that.

I am not a rider that trailers (*yet*) to a destination, not that that couldn't change. (*no reason burning up a tire to get to the Rockies from/thru Indiana/Illinois/Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Eastern Colorado.*)

I am looking hard at the Aprilia 660 Tuareg, the T7, Maybe a Triumph.

I am wondering if any of you current riders use your T7 for Sport-Touring more than off roading?

If so, how have you outfitted it?

suspension massaged? Larger Tanks (*World Raid?*), soft/hard bags? Larger windscreen? Cruise Control??

I probably would do some fire roads and gravel - but gnarly single track etc is a big NO -- I personally have no expertise.

Talk to me, Goose....

• Moderators

@hANNAbONE A T7 for sport touring?  Personally,  I think you're looking at the wrong bike. Like you,  I've had a FJR and believe it's the epitome of a purpose built sport tourer. My problem with the FJR was when I found a sketchy road, paved or not, I took the FJR down it to explore. Those excursions didn't always end well and after breaking mirror stays due to vibration fatigue, I sold it and had been looking for the right bike since 2014.  

My definition of sport touring and yours may be different,  but marketing for that category has mainly been pavement focused. I wouldn't be too concerned with labels, but more so on what you personally will be using the bike for. Personally mine is about 60% road, 40% off-road.

I have a rule of thumb in that, if the destination ( or start of my off-road exploring) is more than a days worth of slab riding away,  the T7 goes in the back of the truck.  But hey, that's just me, others will say the T7 is comfortable for days on end and there are some using it for RTW travel, so as they say, ymmv.

Rather than taking up space listing my personal mods, you can look over my and others  changes in the Builds and Maintenance sub forum for ideas on travel setups. 

Best of luck narrowing down your personal needs as everyone is different and no bike will be 100% perfect all the time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS