Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

ABS not working

Holland

Question

Does anyone have any experience with ABS or maybe know someone that does? My bike's ABS light goes off after about 6 km/h, that's normal, but then after 10 seconds it comes back on while riding.... so I don't have ABS. Sometimes I will stop, put the ignition off, then on again, start the bike, and start riding, but the light does not go off at all. I flushed the brake fluid and changed the front abs sensor, and the fuses are all good... next step should be a mechanic and a lot of money I guess... sometimes while I am riding, the light is "off" (ABS working) and I brake hard, then I feel the ABS working as it should... when I flushed the rear brake fluid, the old brake fluid was very dark and gunky, now I wonder if the ABS pump could be full of gunk and that's maybe the reason it is not working...🤷🏼‍♂️ another thing is that the bike fell to the right side one day and I think sins then the ABS light stayed on.

8 answers to this question

I’d check the distances between ABS ring and sensor are ok. Damaged rings can cause problems too. 

25 minutes ago, Dougie said:

I’d check the distances between ABS ring and sensor are ok. Damaged rings can cause problems too. 

... all is good there... still looking

1 hour ago, Holland said:

when I flushed the rear brake fluid, the old brake fluid was very dark and gunky

Dark and Gunky... Look at your rear rotor, does it looks cooked? Accidently riding the rear brake is a common problem.

Don't know how this would affect the ABS function, but before I would take it in to a dealer I would try flushing the rear fluid for a second time (cheap to do).

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

According to a German motomagazine in their 50.000 km Tenere test, they and some readers, turned the ignitionkey not completely on. Bike starts, but fails in indicators and abs. Make sure the key is turned completely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Dark and Gunky... Look at your rear rotor, does it looks cooked? Accidently riding the rear brake is a common problem.

Don't know how this would affect the ABS function, but before I would take it in to a dealer I would try flushing the rear fluid for a second time (cheap to do).

I flushed the brake fluid like 5 times in a row... rotor, fuses, abs rotor, abs sensor spacing, bearings....are fine, it could be old gunk in the abs pump or the back asb sensor front abs sensor has been changed... taking the bike to a different mechanic tomorrow for an 5th opinion... 🙂

4 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Look at your rear Accidently riding the rear brake is a common problem........ did that in the beginning... rainbow colors... 🙂