Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

CANbus

Kjellbrell

Question

23 answers to this question

The canbus is for comunication between the Engine ECU, ASB control unit and the display (Dash) , there is also a CAN outlet where you can connect  a OBD adpater to get alla engine data & error codes.
Its necessary to have a special adpater cable for a OBD dongle.  

Edited by Kjellbrell

OK, didn't knew that was also CANbus, thought that was only when all electronics communicate.
Camel has an T7 ODB adapter in their parts list, have one here for a year but still no reader. Never had the need for it yet but the cable was inexpensive so i ordered it together with something else.

If you need one I can recommend 

OBDLINK LX Bluetooth OBD II Scanner. You can have it connected to rhe bike permanently with risknof draining the batter, it has a sleep mode.

I just wanted to know which network protokoll Yamaha is using, as I need to sniff the bus and extract some data.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, i can't help you but you did help me learning something new and i'm always in to getting more knowledge.
I also look into the scanner.

30 minutes ago, Kjellbrell said:

I need to sniff the bus and extract some data.

You kids are weirdos!

Back in MY day...

best-smelling-2-stroke-oil.jpg

Most of the best smelling two stroke oils are a type of castor oil, but some just smell so much better than others. These are 8 of the best smelling 2 stroke oils around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

18 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

You kids are weirdos!

Back in MY day...

best-smelling-2-stroke-oil.jpg

Most of the best smelling two stroke oils are a type of castor oil, but some just smell so much better than others. These are 8 of the best smelling 2 stroke oils around.

My first bike was also a 2 stroke, a yellow Yamaha YZ80G.
I do love the old stuff but embrace new technology... when it is really an improvement which is not always the case.
That's why i chose the T7 over any bike with ride mode's and other overly menacing gadgetry, my old school knowledge also saves me oft on the workfloor as allround metal worker.

On 12/29/2022 at 5:05 AM, Kjellbrell said:

Does anybody know which network protocol is used on the CANbus on the T7
Thanks /Kjell 

It uses ISO 15765-4. I just started to poke around at it myself to try to decode the non-standard messages. What are you looking for?

advgoats.com

7 minutes ago, Redneckj said:

Nice video of the OBD scanner that @Kjellbrell talked about.

Yeah I have that one also! It's permanently plugged in along with a hard-wired USB charger with no issues. I initially measured the current draw and it was virtually nothing, so that wasn't a surprise. The company has also been really responsive to technical questions I've had. This is one of those things that's worth spending the extra money on. I also have the SX version, which I had hard-wired into a Samsung tablet for a while.

RaceChrono is a pretty neat app if you want to get into the weeds. It'll actually read CAN messages (but you have to define them first) among other things. Also pricey, but there's a free version you can test out first.

advgoats.com

This scares me...
After watching the video there might be a new spending spree in it but fr now i try to ignore it.
But as i see it you can  buit a rally tower without having a rally tower by buying this device and a Carpe Iter, then take down the standard dash completely and put the Carpe Iter in that place with no need to put the standard dash back.
But not hijacking this topic i think i will open an new topic to discus this idea so pleas don't react on this post, you'll find a new topic in a minute.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Redneckj said:

Someone please post the adapter cable part number and a place to order it in the US.  TY in advance 

Does your T7 have a check engine light lit up? No need to take it to the dealer! With this adaptor cable, you can check and clear engine codes at home using a standard automotive OBD-II scanner*. Don't have an OBD-II...

On 12/30/2022 at 5:55 PM, random1781 said:

It uses ISO 15765-4. I just started to poke around at it myself to try to decode the non-standard messages. What are you looking for?

Yes, my intention is to remove the OEM Dash and use DriveModeDashboard together with the OBDLINK LX.
It is necessary to find a way to handle all the CANbus comunication from the dash to the other bus nodes. There are some signals that the dash controller sends/recives from the Eng ECU & ASB controller.
A CAN controller is needed to emulate the dach controller, I dont know which
perhaps a Arduino with a CANbus module or a Teensy 3.2 that this guy appears to use on his Triumph https://youtu.be/ZEn5fWYLJLk
First I need to sniff the CANbus to find the various signals.
Hince my question of which newwork protocoll Yamaha uses.

13 minutes ago, Kjellbrell said:

Yes, my intention is to remove the OEM Dash and use DriveModeDashboard together with the OBDLINK LX.
It is necessary to find a way to handle all the CANbus comunication from the dash to the other bus nodes. There are some signals that the dash controller sends/recives from the Eng ECU & ASB controller.
A CAN controller is needed to emulate the dach controller, I dont know which
perhaps a Arduino with a CANbus module or a Teensy 3.2 that this guy appears to use on his Triumph https://youtu.be/ZEn5fWYLJLk
First I need to sniff the CANbus to find the various signals.
Hince my question of which newwork protocoll Yamaha uses.

Cool message details:

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/5912-bleutooth-odb-and-carpe-iter/?do=findComment&comment=67130

Odometer/trips are computed and stored on the display, so if you remove the display you would lose the bike's odometer.

Fuel level sensor (resistance, specs are in the service manual) and gear position (7x switches, one for each gear plus neutral) are directly connected to the display and are not a part of the CAN bus.

An Arduino could measure the fuel level and gear position and transmit this over the CAN bus for the Obdlink to read.

advgoats.com

The Arduino could also keep track of odometer values by counting the wheel sensor outputs.

41 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

The Arduino could also keep track of odometer values by counting the wheel sensor outputs.

Yeah exactly, and you could offset it with your existing odometer reading when you install it. You'd just have to figure out what equation the bike uses to convert to linear distance.

The caveat is that I personally haven't seen wheel sensor data coming over the CAN. I haven't done much looking yet, but both front and rear wheel sensors are connected to the ABS ECU. This might be a bit more annoying to pin down since you might have to be moving for those messages to be sent.

I'd like to grab one of these, but they say shipping to the US is 20 days, and I have no clue where we're going to be that far ahead of time!

2022-10-05T22%3A12%3A38.657Z-CANduino%20

We sell an Arduino Nano which has an integrated CAN-bus and USB-C. It is a bit bigger but the pin order is the same as on the Arduino Nano.

Arduino with CAN support and USB-C for $45! It has enough inputs to wire in the gear sensor and the analog fuel sender, both of which have connectors near the seat, so everything is conveniently co-located. Need to find what connectors those two sensors use to make splitters, which might be the trickiest part.

advgoats.com

I thought the wheel sensors are wired directly to the stock display, so a replacement would have to use a digital input that triggered a counting routine, something an Arduino is well suited for. 

Edited by Hollybrook

25 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

I thought the wheel sensors are wired directly to the stock display, so a replacement would have to use a digital input that triggered a counting routine, something an Arduino is well suited for. 

Both wheel sensors connected to the ABS unit, which makes sense since ABS is triggered by a difference between the two and it's a high priority action, so as direct a connection as possible is better.

44 = front wheel sensor

45 = rear wheel sensor

46 = ABS ECU

image.png.bcd303e58812b4002018bdf231b89660.png

Since the display stores the odometer, the ABS ECU sends some type of message to the display. You could decode that message via the CAN bus, or you could tap into the wheel sensor wire and interpret the raw data on the Arduino. You could also correct that "speedo error" without having to replace the ABS ring.

And now that I think about it, replacing the ABS ring with the aftermarket one probably changes the recorded mileage, so you're probably riding 5-10% more than your odometer reads.

advgoats.com

Odo uses a different way of measuring, speed comes from the ABS and has a big difference between shown and real miles whilst the odo is very accurate.

Well Gents,
I think I will drop the idea of removing the dash. There are just to many technical hinders to handle all the signals to/from the dash control unit.
Some of the digital signals in/out are probably easy to replicate, but I got somewhats stuck how to handle the immobilizer system from the ignition key, it appears that it communicates with both the engine ECU and build in Dash controller.
I just feel that there are too many obstacles, of course the complete electrical system can be replaced 🙂 Its just to much.
A simple solution would to replace the dash with a dash from Yamaha MT07 or XSR700 that have the same CP2 Engine.
These has the same plug connector and handles the same signals (I/O & CANbus) as on the Tenere except there is no button to disconnect the ASB.
They need be programed for the correct immobilizer key code, . It will add to the cost, to find a used unit is probl abt 300 Euros. https://www.carmoelectronics.co.uk/ can probably do it.
I will probably move my existing Dash to the handlebars to get it lower and mount my 8" Samsung Active where the dash is today.
Basically the Tenere dash is just to big , clumsy, considering the display information.

The suggestion of the CANduino is probably a good device that random1781 suggested.

Brumm brumm.....

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Edited by Kjellbrell
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kjellbrell said:

Well Gents,
I think I will drop the idea of removing the dash. There are just to many technical hinders to handle all the signals to/from the dash control unit.
Some of the digital signals in/out are probably easy to replicate, but I got somewhats stuck how to handle the immobilizer system from the ignition key, it appears that it communicates with both the engine ECU and build in Dash controller.
I just feel that there are too many obstacles, of course the complete electrical system can be replaced 🙂 Its just to much.
A simple solution would to replace the dash with a dash from Yamaha MT07 or XSR700 that have the same CP2 Engine.
These has the same plug connector and handles the same signals (I/O & CANbus) as on the Tenere except there is no button to disconnect the ASB.
They need be programed for the correct immobilizer key code, . It will add to the cost, to find a used unit is probl abt 300 Euros. https://www.carmoelectronics.co.uk/ can probably do it.
I will probably move my existing Dash to the handlebars to get it lower and mount my 8" Samsung Active where the dash is today.
Basically the Tenere dash is just to big , clumsy, considering the display information.

The suggestion of the CANduino is probably a good device that random1781 suggested.

Brumm brumm.....

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Didn't even think about the immobilizer! Actually I think the US versions don't have an immobilizer.

I like the MT-07 dash a lot. I wonder if the speed/odometer would be affected by the different wheel size.

advgoats.com

1 hour ago, random1781 said:

Didn't even think about the immobilizer! Actually I think the US versions don't have an immobilizer.

I like the MT-07 dash a lot. I wonder if the speed/odometer would be affected by the different wheel size.

We got the immobilizer here in Sweden.
The speed would probably be effecten by the wheel size. Perhaps the sensor ring can be replaced to correct.
The standard ring is not accurate, see here 

SR-OTR-T700-SW-ABS-Impulsgeber-Ring-zur-

Modified ABS sensor ring for speedometer adjustment Yamaha Tenere 700 The speedometer of the Tenere 700 has, unfortunately, a 'built in' speedo…