Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Soooooo Heavy , i need better tyres

razz007

So a great morning had out a great bike , but after all the rain , the lanes where hard work on the standard tyres , I stopped on the slightest hill to take a photo and couldn’t get going again 😂 fell off 3 times , lifting this bike 3 times was fun …. Not . I do need to try some better tyres 

3593E54E-A4C0-4F00-B079-36A203C79955.jpeg

Well it's hard to tell, since the only bit of tread visible is at the bottom of the third pic, but that almost looks like a street tire to me?

Sorry for being unclear , she’s got stock tyres , only done 900 miles from new , but the lanes I ride on are all mud , the tree lanes are so deep though , but the age old problem is I commute 6days on it , but I think I need to try some better off road tyres and will just re-adjust when on tarmac . 

Where are you from? Looks a bit like a Dutch landscape but could also be English, both have yellow plates too.
Out of experience with different tyres i can tell you that leaf covered forest ground and wet gras are the worst but the Michelin Anakee Wild, Mitas E09 and Heidenau K60 Ranger will do pretty decent and are good in sand and on the road.
The Michelin is still my favourite but to expensive for the 4500km the rear last (front about double), the Mitas last about the same but is a little cheaper. The K60 Ranger is still under investigation and have served me just 460km since i mounted them 2 weeks ago (have another bike i needed a bit more).
Next on my list is the Dunlop D908 rear with a D606 or Pirelli M21 front, maybe a Tractionator RallZ after that an then i think i can make my choice but i think that you can't go wrong with either of these.
In the end a tyre is personal and that's why i try them all, the list is based on experiences from others and i totally believe the reason why the tyres are advised but i do not agree with all of them after i used them and that's not their fault nor the tyre.
It's not only preference but also type of terrain, suspension and riding style that decides the best choice for you.

• Thanks 1

Cool response , thank you . I’m in the uk , good old Norfolk . I’ll ring around when I get back to work and see what’s available to try , I’ll keep hold of the Pirelli’s so if it’s a total disaster I can put them back on . Mileage isn’t a worry, I’d rather have a tyre that works and lasts 1500mile than one that does not and lasts forever . 

You might go for the Dunlop D908 Rally Raid, it looks like these have smaller studs with bigger spaces in between which will work better on grass i presume.

Edit: Just check that because i get 2 different pictures of that tyre.... very annoying.

Edited by Ray Ride4life

Get these bad boys on it (Michelin Trackers). To be fair, I have a second set of wheels so I can run a 140 properly on a 2.5 inch rear rim. They're awesome in the English winter slop.

Rich

IMG_20221026_163613.jpg

IMG_20221026_163531.jpg

• Like 1