Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Understanding brake and signal light

Zebco Kid

Hello,

On a separate string, I’ve been talking with Tenere owners about the installation of a Huzar exhaust, and the need to find turn signals that will not be in a position to melt due to their proximity to the exhaust pipe, as I have also installed a Camel ADV tail tidy.

As I melted one signal on day 1, I decided to remove them both as I wait for the replacements that are flush mounted. I got this idea from another rider, and I think they’ll work great.

Here’s my question: I disconnected and removed the two signals, and now the brake light is illuminated in what appears to be brake on mode. There is no change when I activate the hand or foot brake. Is this to be expected until I reinstall the replacement lights? Also, the turn signals in the front blink rapidly now. Will they return to normal with the turn signals attached?

I would reattach the signals to do a test, but the bike is all buttoned up. I was hoping that my laziness would be address with someones knowledge. 

Thank you.

ZK

The turn signals are not connected to the brake light circuit.  When you plug the signals back in the blinking will go back to the normal frequency.

I wired in aftermarket signals that are LED and have orange signal lights, then red lights as well.  I had to tap into the tail light/brake light harness to get brake light power to the new dual-use turn signals.  The stock rear signals are 2 wires, turn lamp 12v on and ground.

Thank you for your reply and knowledge.

So…does this mean that the lack of brake light activation (brightening) when braking (remember it is illuminated always) is unrelated, i.e., coincidental…and I have a different problem to solve?

Thank you.

• Moderators

@Zebco KidMost likely yes.  Whenever I have an electrical issue such as this, I go back to what I have changed/ touched and confirm when back to spec it still works. I would suspect you've got a shorted wire and/ or brake light wiring/ ground or switch issue.  Have you returned the brake light wiring to as when it was working?   That's what I'd try first along with checking all your connections. 

As @mpb1 said, the signals are a separate system and wiring LEDs don't offer as  much resistance as incandescent bulbs, hence the erratic flasher operation.   You'll need to change out your flasher for one compatible with Leds.

Let us know what you figure out that caused it.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I don't know what else you have done lately to your bike, but a common cause for the brake light to be stuck on is when someone adjusts the rear brake pedal height.

If you lower the brake pedal you need to adjust the rear brake light switch.

There is a small bolt on the brake pedal near where the master connects.  You need to loosen the bolt and there is a small bracket that will rotate slightly and give some more slack to the switch.  Look behind the footpeg bracket and you will see the switch and the wire connecting it to the pedal.

Just a thought if you might have done a pedal adjustment lately.