Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Suspension settings for heavy rider?

OneEyedTiger

I'd like to adjust my suspension to fit my weight more but have little clue where to start. I'd like to adjust it without upgrading any components.

I weigh 260 pounds and 273 with gear. About 7lb of bike upgrades. Any tips or settings I can copy?

I dont think that is possible. You must upgrade factory shock spring to at least 95nm  prolly even stronger. I weigh maybe 235 geared up and have a 95nm spring which is ideal.

• Like 2

• Moderators

@OneEyedTiger I agree with @TexasT700. The T7 at oem configuration is for about a 170lb rider ( at best) so much so that my 190 lb ready to ride weight used up all available rear pre- load just to set the sag. A 90Nm spring change fixed it, so for about $100 and a hour or two in the garage, this can be mostly corrected. @Ktmmitch at RallyRaid, one of our forum vendors, is very knowledgeable in T7 suspension and did a great job in advising me as to which spring to use.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

4 hours ago, AZJW said:

@OneEyedTiger I agree with @TexasT700. The T7 at oem configuration is for about a 170lb rider ( at best) so much so that my 190 lb ready to ride weight used up all available rear pre- load just to set the sag. A 90Nm spring change fixed it, so for about $100 and a hour or two in the garage, this can be mostly corrected. @Ktmmitch at RallyRaid, one of our forum vendors, is very knowledgeable in T7 suspension and did a great job in advising me as to which spring to use.

The spring you speak of is just for the rear? I don't need to upgrade anything with the front forks?

• Like 1

• Moderators

@OneEyedTiger In my case yes, all that I needed for my riding profile and terrain was a rear spring change. Your use, weight and terrain will dictate differently,  so yes to needing to modify the front suspension is most likely going to be desirable. 

This thread might give you some assistance. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

You will not be able to make any worth while adjustments without replacement of front and rear springs.  You won't have any room to adjusted because you will be maxed out and unable to set sag.  I replaced front springs and new rear shocks assembly sprung to my weight. We are about the same weight and it made a huge difference.  

It sounds like replacing the springs is my best option. In the meantime, does anyone know of some settings I could use on the stock suspension to improve things a little bit?

I'm only planning on using the bike on road and even trails until I get more experience.

@OneEyedTiger Until you change springs you'll likely want to max out the shock preload. The closer you can get to correct rider sag the better but you won't get the full benefit of the suspension until you've changed the springs. There's no preload adjustment on the OEM forks.

The owner's manual "Instrument and control functions" section explains how to make changes to fork and shock rebound and compression. I'd go with the "Standard" settings for now to keep it simple.

Good luck! It's a great bike when well set up!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First off I am ROTFL, just joined the group and picked Texas700 then I see TexasT700.  Guess Texas minds think alike.  On the subject, I am 265 LBS and it looks like I will have to get a good suspension package coming.  Hopefully I will find some good review on Touratech, Ohlins, Racetech etc.  Anyone have any experience here?

1 hour ago, Texas700 said:

First off I am ROTFL, just joined the group and picked Texas700 then I see TexasT700.  Guess Texas minds think alike.  On the subject, I am 265 LBS and it looks like I will have to get a good suspension package coming.  Hopefully I will find some good review on Touratech, Ohlins, Racetech etc.  Anyone have any experience here?

I installed rear TOURATECH EXPLORE HP REAR SHOCK W/ PDS and TOURATECH front springs. It made the bike feel better Im also using my bike for traveling touring with off road ability. SO im loaded up and wieght 250lbs my bike has pannier rack, aux fuel tank, crash bars, etc.