Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Anyone Weighed Their T7?

PNGL

I was curious so I weighed mine with an old bathroom scale.
Front: 236.5lb
Rear: 223lb
Total: 459.5lb
Not bad considering I have added Heed Bunker crash bars, Lasfit 3in light pods, Outback tail rack, Rapid Bike tuner and harness, AXP skidplate and various other farkles. Granted, it only had half a tank of gas and I did put on a full MaxTorqueCans exhaust with the super light Carbon can. Nevertheless, I was pretty happy to find I hadn't added the 25 or so pounds that I thought I had.

Edited by PNGL

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

I wouldn’t have thought you could weigh it like that - it wouldn’t be accurate at all

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lewie said:

I wouldn’t have thought you could weigh it like that - it wouldn’t be accurate at all

You sure can!  And it's pretty accurate.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Lewie said:

I think it depends on the scale used. I'd seen that method used many times with reasonable accuracy,  so I purchased a cheap digital scale to try it. It worked fine on my other bikes ( under 300 lbs.), but apparently it has an issue with the 250 + lbs of the T7 and wouldn't weight it accurately.  I tried using a board and a metal plate to distribute the weight across the scale, but it didn't help, so maybe @PNGLcould post the scale model he used.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I was planning to do so when I had my last update installed (single rotor kit).

I installed stuff, changed some for lighter and removed things entirely and also curious about the weight I ended up with.

They weigh racing cars like that but then with 4 scales at the same time and then they adjust the suspension with the driver in his seat to the correct balance.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

They weigh racing cars like that but then with 4 scales at the same time and then they adjust the suspension with the driver in his seat to the correct balance.

I get that part as the whole vehicle is off the ground - I just assumed that as part of the vehicle was still sat on the ground it would be difficult to accurately weigh the other part - every days a school day ( even in your mid 50’s) 

• Like 2

Same here, not mid 50's but i turn 50 next month.
Also still make stupid mistakes and get myself in trouble with teen like actions but that's staying young and keep having fun.

I refuse to weigh my T7 and subject it to societal expectations of what an ADV bike should look like or weigh. I don't want to see it barfing fuel after a ride to shed weight, I love it just the way it is.  /s  😄 

Edited by Splix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

As soon as they get the pallet scale fixed or replaced at my job, I'll weigh the whole bike to verify the weight. 

33 minutes ago, PNGL said:

As soon as they get the pallet scale fixed or replaced at my job, I'll weigh the whole bike to verify the weight. 

I've got access to one, but sadly The Powers That Be refuse to let me bring my bike inside and weight it.  Jerks. 

Regular bathroom scales work perfectly fine, even one at a time, but I don't want to risk breaking our silly "smart scale", and I haven't gotten around to buying a new scale, despite them being pretty damn cheap.  I'm gonna say I'm following @Splix's line of thinking, instead of just being really lazy.

If I where to guess: Saved a significant number of pounds removing the stock muffler and replacing it with the Huzar.  Probably roughly equal to the weight of the OEM crashbars and Heed rear bars (the stock muffler is extremely heavy compared to the 400mm Huzar without baffles), making it largely a wash.  Other farkles have been +/- affairs, so shouldn't substantially impact weight.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lewie said:

I'd have thought the same until I considered that that is how the DOT officers weigh trucks sometimes to try to catch them overweight. They have a pair of scale plates and have them roll on them one axle at a time. 

Edited by PNGL
Typo...

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Regular bathroom scales work perfectly fine, even one at a time, but I don't want to risk breaking our silly "smart scale", and I haven't gotten around to buying a new scale, despite them being pretty damn cheap.  

This was my line of thinking when I bought this one. As I noted above, it worked fine for my smaller bikes, but not for my T7. Hoping @PNGL pallet scale weight matches his bathroom scale and he has a model number for us to refer to.  My scale certainly didn't do the job accurately. 

https://www.amazon.com/NUTRI-FIT-Digital-Bathroom-Accurate/dp/B0918WVYQ3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@AZJW I wonder why that scale didn't work on your bike.  It's rated up to 400lbs and each wheel should have been just over half of that. 

I put mine on my race car scales (2 of them). 466 lbs. with 3.5 gallons of fuel. So without fuel it is about 445. Bike has ADV Spec side and rear racks, crash bars. Huzar exhaust, Camel ADV Skidplate, misc. other mods that don't affect weight much. Changing the exhaust from stock is the largest weight saving. Probably going to install a Li-on battery for the 5 lbs. savings next. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, sracer said:

I put mine on my race car scales (2 of them). 466 lbs. with 3.5 gallons of fuel. So without fuel it is about 445. Bike has ADV Spec side and rear racks, crash bars. Huzar exhaust, Camel ADV Skidplate, misc. other mods that don't affect weight much. Changing the exhaust from stock is the largest weight saving. Probably going to install a Li-on battery for the 5 lbs. savings next. 

Interested to hear your feedback with the Li-on battery. Keep us posted.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sracer said:

That makes mine sound pretty accurate then. We have similar mods, other than your side racks. I don't have pannier racks yet and only had 2 bars showing worth of gas; so maybe 1.75 gallons or so. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

@AZJW I wonder why that scale didn't work on your bike.  It's rated up to 400lbs and each wheel should have been just over half of that. 

Good question.   I tried my 260 lb. Beta on it, worked fine.   The T7 showed strange numbers,  totaling about 100 lbs light on that particular scale. It makes no sense, but posted the scale info incase someone else thinks it'll work for this purpose.  

I got 229kg.

Full tank of fuel, OEM crash bars, AXP skid plate, Barkbusters and RideADV pannier racks.

I used two bathroom scales, I’ve tested both wheels at the same time, one wheel at a time and on a pallet scale. Numbers are within half a kilo of each other, it’s plenty accurate.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Checked mine when I brought it home completely 100% stock with a full tank of gas on my digital bathroom scale. It may not be exact but I weighed it to keep track of it comparatively over time. I'm not looking for it to get anorexic but I dislike bikes that let themselves go and bloat up too much... LOL.

Bone stock w/full tank: 236 rear / 221 front - 457lbs (207kg) total

Since then I've added weight with engine bars, stout hand guards, a skidplate, GPS, HD tubes rather than stock std weight tubes and a Chain guard. I've removed some weight with a tail tidy, lighter wheels, single caliper front brake conversion.  

Now w/full tank: 234 rear/ 219 front - 453lbs (205kg) total

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 3