Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Passenger backrest ideas

Colddog

Good day everyone, 

My life has recently acquired a passenger that likes to ride!  I'm looking for any ideas on a decent passenger backrest.

Probably looking to upgrade my rear rack as well, feel free to post up any ideas. 

Not into a top box, but i will still entertain pros and cons from ye that use one now.

Tanks in advance!

Hey @Colddog. My T7 is solo only so can't specifically help you there, but my Super T is set up with factory Yamaha bags/top box where I had a pad made to bolt to the front of the top box to provide lower back support. My wife and I have done thousands of kms like that and she won't ride without it. We've 2-upped for years and this is her preferred set-up.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• Moderators

@Colddog Iirc, Corbin makes backrests that possibly could be modified to work, but my vote would be for a top case.  Whenever my Mrs. rides with me there is ALWAYS something extra, purse, hair brush, kitchen sink, etc. that needs to come along as well.  

One note if you go that route, don't automatically think you need a back rest pad mounted on the front of the top case, but first try it out without one.  My wife's riding jacket has a thick enough internal back pad that an additional one pushed her too far forward.  My .02.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I have a pelican style case on a rear rack that gives her a little re-assurance of not slipping off. Seams to do the trick. 

• Like 1

you might be able to add something to the L bracket in this system. It is built for their soft packs

L-Bracket Y130/B Adjustable Pack-Rack PF30/B Evo-Rack ER30/B Sport-Rack SR18/B Top-Box Rack TBR30/B Grab-Handle GH12/18/B Comment Can be fitted with genuine factory panniers.