Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Why won't the tenere pop like de mt7

Pov_ride_with_m

HI guys, great being here. Im kinda new to the tenere 700. I was wondering why is there such a big difference between the sound of the tenere and the mt07 while both of them have the same engine, i mean the the decal popping is not as agressive as mt07.
For some it might seem an obvius answer but i couldn't find info anywhere. Thanks for the help in any case

I on the otherhand dislike mine poping.. [i ride a lot of track's with horses]    but i guess your running the stock exaust ?

The deceleration that you’re speaking of is caused from a lean condition.  99% of people do not want the popping.  However, there is the 1%.   

• Like 1

Drill a hole in the linkpipe just before the muffler. False air by a leaky gasket from the headers to the linkpipe causes popping so i guess a hole will do too.

But the same engines are not perse the same engines.
I also have a Honda Crosstourer (VFR1200X) and that model has the same engine as the VFR1200F but because they are different bikes and therefore they have different cams, gears and mapping. Don't know if that's the case with the T and MT but it would be logical to get the different characters.

My guess is the shorter exhaust system length on the MT causes the popping. The exhaust gasses don’t get as cool as they do on the T7 so any unburnt hydrocarbons are still hot enough to burn when they hit the air.

18 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Drill a hole in the linkpipe just before the muffler. False air by a leaky gasket from the headers to the linkpipe causes popping so i guess a hole will do too.

But the same engines are not perse the same engines.
I also have a Honda Crosstourer (VFR1200X) and that model has the same engine as the VFR1200F but because they are different bikes and therefore they have different cams, gears and mapping. Don't know if that's the case with the T and MT but it would be logical to get the different characters.

The Tenere and MT are actually the same engine (cams and all) but they have completely different exhaust systems.  The MT has a much shorter.combined cat+muffler (what looks like a muffler on the MT is just a heat shield, the big "bread box" under the bike is both cat and muffler) while the Tenere has completely separate cat and mufflers with significantly longer piping.

Something you can do with the T7 that you can't do with the MT though is get a MUCH deeper sound by removing the flame arrestor/baffle at the muffler exit.  Quick and reversible, super easy - remove the four screws around the end cap, remove the end cap, remove the four nuts inside and the baffle, replace the end cap.  

Edit: it appears I was incorrect re: cams.  Do your due diligence and investigate part numbers, don't rely on a random Redditor as I did.

Edited by Wintersdark
I was incorrect.

6 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

cams and all

Are you sure? They have different part numbers.

Mine is funny because sometimes it pops a lot on deceleration and other times I don't notice it. I figure its a bit lean but the popping is affected by weather, fuel, etc.

11 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Are you sure? They have different part numbers.

I am not sure, just going on what I'd been told, as when I looked into it it was purely limited to whether a direct engine swap was possible.  Interesting!