Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

I've f**k'd up, Diesel

SamiNami

So I am travelling internationally and I have put Diesel into my gas tank. Only about 1/3 of the tank but still. What would be the easiest way to drain the tank? Any suggestions?

Take it off and turn upside down. 

A little bit of diesel left after draining and filling won't kill you. 

Update since we posted at the same time.  Are you saying you ran 200km with 30% diesel in the tank? 

Edited by Hollybrook

11 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

Take it off and turn upside down. 

A little bit of diesel left after draining and filling won't kill you. 

Update since we posted at the same time.  Are you saying you ran 200km with 30% diesel in the tank? 

I put diesel in my camel tank, it's about 5liters. After that I rode about 200 km yes. Fuel indicator is on 2/3 full.

Edited by SamiNami

Why not just siphon it the old school way- some thin tubing down the tank and suck on it to get the siphon going?

You could rinse and repeat for good measure if you wanted.   But like said above, a little diesel film left over wont harm much.

• Like 3

So did you fill the tank ?

ie up to 22l- yeh just syphon it out and fill it right up with petrol 

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

So you put the diesel into the Camel tank, not your main tank? If so is there a valve between the two tanks you can shut until you get a chance to drain the tank somewhere properly?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Windblown said:

So you put the diesel into the Camel tank, not your main tank? If so is there a valve between the two tanks you can shut until you get a chance to drain the tank somewhere properly?

I rode 200km so the fuels is properly mixed 

Edited by SamiNami

As everyone suggests, drain what you can and fill with fresh gas.

You probably didn't hurt anything, at worst you might foul a spark plug.

Not sure about the catalytic converter and O2 sensors.... If it still runs fine tomorrow, don't worry about it.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

So the camel tank was as auxiliary tank or the large camel main tank?

does that only get used when the main tanks full?

if so as above- disconnect it fill up your main take and I’m sure all will be good 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lewie said:

So the camel tank was as auxiliary tank or the large camel main tank?

does that only get used when the main tanks full?

if so as above- disconnect it fill up your main take and I’m sure all will be good 

It's the auxiliary fuel tank. 

In round numbers:

5 liters of diesel in the camel tank

22 liters of gas in the main tank

The Camel tank is drawn into the main tank as fuel is used.

After 200km I would guess all the diesel is now in the main tank

So at the worst, you had 5 liters mixed with 17 liters of gas.

Other than a bit more smoke out the exhaust, did you even notice a change?

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

This summer I did a two week ride through the Himalayas in the Indian territory of Ladakh.   We were riding Indian built (new) Royal Enfield dual sports.  The British company that supplied them used these bikes (which were great, btw) because they are bulletproof AND they are tuned to run on anything... really shitty fuel mixtures. 

In the remote villages where we fueled up, diesel could get mixed into the containers.  As @Hibobbsuggests above, a bit more smoke was possible, and you certainly wouldn't want to do it on purpose, but I wouldn't worry.   

Some diesel in a gasoline engine fuel mixture: not ideal but workable.   Drain the fuel, if you can. Don't worry if there's some residual. Fill with appropriate gasoline and off you go.

Some gasoline in a diesel engine fuel mixture: bad, bad, boom!

• Like 2

• AZJW changed the title to I've f**k'd up, Diesel
5 hours ago, SamiNami said:

So I am travelling internationally and I have put Diesel into my gas tank. Only about 1/3 of the tank but still. What would be the easiest way to drain the tank? Any suggestions?

If it has not been mentioned yet, a siphon is your best bet.  A hose of some sort, stick to bottom of tank and have other end lower than end in tank, remove air by some method, usually sucking.   Get ready to rinse your mouth.  Get as much out as you can and don't worry about the rest.  Refill with fresh fuel. 

Edited by Toymaster
  • Like 1

Great news and nice to hear a positive follow up

if you siphoned the old school way lay off the fags for  a bit😂

Edited by Lewie
  • Haha 1

Fags! I haven't heard a cig called that in a long time! surely someone will be upset! (and they probably ride a Honda)   😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Firebolter said:

Fags! I haven't heard a cig called that in a long time! surely someone will be upset! (and they probably ride a Honda)   😉

I ride a Honda next to the T7 but i'm not upset by this, i'm more upset with all the types roaming the earth nowadays who get upset by everything.
They're called "woke" but i rather call them dumb or stupid or a useless source of carbon dioxide and waste of oxygen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Next time just pull the hose front bottom corner on your Camel tank, open your gas cap and pinch the Camel tank van hose. You will quickly drain the Camel tank and any fuel that is in the line feeding your main tank. No need to siphon to drain the Camel tank.