Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Luggage Options

john_aero

Ok  I back asking more question,

I am a bit like a child asking their parents 100 questions and annoying them all

Ok so I am getting my list ready and looking at reviews and options for luggage

I don't want add weight and want my luggage to work with a pillion

So far I have decided

- light weight

- soft luggage

- min size frames if any at all

Ideally for 2 up a rear rack and  roll bag for when my son is with me.

for longer trips ill buy a new set soft panniers. However most are over the seat straps.

can you get soft luggage setups where straps go under the seat making it more comfortable for a pillion.

My ideal setup would be a set of side bag with the holding straps under seat or a set where the pillion can sit on them

Then cover side panels with 3m protective film for scratch resistance plus maybe set rear Heed crash bars 

I think you might struggle without adding weight unless you remove something 

is it possible to have side bags with a pillion?
surly there would be no where for their legs

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lewie said:

I think you might struggle without adding weight unless you remove something 

is it possible to have side bags with a pillion?
surly there would be no where for their legs

I was hoping if they are far enough back they are ok

some don't mount past the pillion pegs and see to offer enough room

Edited by john_aero

In the past i had ortlieb softbags and the straps went under the seat of my DRZ400.

For my tenere i used last year Vanucci softbags with AS sideracks. I took these racks just for protection of the plastics and my hpcorse exhaust fits nice behind it. The vanucci softbags straps i put under the seat during my trips, no problem. The photo is just trying the new bags. 

I sold the vanuccies, cos i wanted a bit more volume. Now i have Turkana hippohips, but did not use them yet.

IMG_20211125_113704901.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john_aero said:

excellent so it will work,

thats great im happy to know what now

But there’s no way you’d get a pillion in there too

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lewie said:

But there’s no way you’d get a pillion in there too

@john_aero Yes you can get a pillion with this softbags, but i ride solo and took the duopegs off. The bags could even go further backwards, but i centered them on my AS softracks.

IMG_20220324_130657855.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

@john_aero Yes you can get a pillion with this softbags, but i ride solo and took the duopegs off. The bags could even go further backwards, but i centered them on my AS softracks.

IMG_20220324_130657855.jpg

my 2 up riding be very rare with luggage.

more when i do purchase a setup i want to be able do the odd day or so 2 up with my son

Hi John.....just a quick heads up.....I've got a red AS rack and white AS soft pannier racks (for the red/white Tenere) for sale in the classifieds, if it's of any interest to you. I used them once, with a roll bag on the rack and throwover panniers. Plenty of room for a pillion as well.

• Like 1

With a minimal rack you also can go for the Mosko Moto Backcountry panniers, a little heavier but also very durable.
I have a set on my Crosstourer, for my T7 i have the reckless 40 and 80 but i don't think they would work very well with a pillion but maybe with a luggage rack to mount them far back behind the seat. For me the T7 is not a bike for a pillion.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tigerjohn said:

Hi John.....just a quick heads up.....I've got a red AS rack and white AS soft pannier racks (for the red/white Tenere) for sale in the classifieds, if it's of any interest to you. I used them once, with a roll bag on the rack and throwover panniers. Plenty of room for a pillion as well.

cheers,

Going have look at a rackless system and possible the moko moto setup or Red Mamut system

22 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

With a minimal rack you also can go for the Mosko Moto Backcountry panniers, a little heavier but also very durable.
I have a set on my Crosstourer, for my T7 i have the reckless 40 and 80 but i don't think they would work very well with a pillion but maybe with a luggage rack to mount them far back behind the seat. For me the T7 is not a bike for a pillion.

I have ordered a small rear rack to throw a small bag on for day trips.

as for pillion 99% time be on my own. my 9 year old son does want come out with me so what ever setup I go for I just want to make sure its not going to cause major headaches when just 2 of us out for a few hours.

2 adults id say be tight squeeze but for son and I should be ok for mini trips locally

• Like 1

5411FEC5-BD81-4E00-8DE4-9C42C87186C6.thumb.jpeg.ab721627abc30ed42799438bc47786a6.jpeg
there’s always the kreiga (or similar) set up. I only have extra straps over the seat for tightening things up and making it more robust. There are several soft bag frames out there. The bags strap straight to the frames. Still space for a pillion.