Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Extended hauling/front end brace?

Turbohawk

I'm taking Tenere to several locales this spring but it will be in my Toyhauler this round (have always ridden to these places many times before so I get to cheat this time!) but I'm wondering if I will need to take off the fender so I can use a fork brace for the 1200 miles to first "base". Has anyone seen a clever work around?  I don't like the idea of the bike bouncing loose in the trailer NOR compressing the forks this long either.

There's absolutely NO need for those fork brace things. Just use 4 or 6 straps and crank it down. Despite the wives tales, forks don't go bad from hauling. 

• Like 1

Instagram @black_dog_moto

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

The issue is more the bouncing of the front end. I used straps around the bottom triple clamp as well as securing the front wheel.

Run a strap over the rear wheel and all will be well.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

My brother and I had two T7s on my little 4 x 8 trailer for a 2+ hour haul into the mountains of North Carolina. That is to say, we put two biggish bikes on my little trailer for an hour of decent roads and an hour plus of rough roads, twisties, and a bit of gravel roads. We had 4 straps on each bike; one from each side of our lower crash bars to the corners and center of the trailer and one from the rear subframe/rear peg area of each to the side and center of the trailer. With straps pulling the bikes forward and down at the front and down and outwards outwards at the rear, they didn't move at all and we only compressed the forks about 60% or so. I think you are overthinking it. Just my $.02 about it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

5 hours ago, Turbohawk said:

I'm taking Tenere to several locales this spring but it will be in my Toyhauler this round (have always ridden to these places many times before so I get to cheat this time!) but I'm wondering if I will need to take off the fender so I can use a fork brace for the 1200 miles to first "base". Has anyone seen a clever work around?  I don't like the idea of the bike bouncing loose in the trailer NOR compressing the forks this long either.

Have you checked this out from @Camel ADV

Bike Binderz Adventure Bike Kits are an innovative way to lock down your ADV bike in the back of your truck, trailer, moto-van, or toy-hauler! We gave away our straps and wheel chokes after using the Bike Binderz for the...

@roygilbo I saw those on Cory's site. They look pretty neat.

That said, I have been using old fashioned Ancra straps (jerk straps, not fancy ratchet straps) for 50 years without issue.

In a nod to safety, I do put a piece of duct tape over the s-hooks...

These mounting points you bolt on the fork's triple clamp are super handy (and cheap)!!

MOTO4U Dirt Bike Tie Down Strap Ring System Kits Anchor Point Tie Down Kit  Release Hook Tie Down Anchor -2Pcs

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Nice! all great ideas!  But Ho LEE cow the bike binderz have more parts than the space shuttle!  Like an Erector Set taken way too seriously...lol.

Bike Binderz Adventure Bike tie-down kit

Edited by Turbohawk

What about these?

lock-n-load-strapless-dirt-bike-carrier-

▼Features Saves your fork seals No more straps or wheel chocks Load more bikes and gear in your truck, van or trailer Quick release from the trailer floor Extra trailer plates are available (Sold Separately) TRUCK PLATES available...

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

20 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

What about these?

lock-n-load-strapless-dirt-bike-carrier-

▼Features Saves your fork seals No more straps or wheel chocks Load more bikes and gear in your truck, van or trailer Quick release from the trailer floor Extra trailer plates are available (Sold Separately) TRUCK PLATES available...

Same idea as the first post and I'm sure they do the trick but there are 2 reasons I don't use anything that I have to bolt down: There is no set way I will load my bike(s) in the trailer as I often take canoes/kayaks and I might be trading this toyhauler in soon.  4 bolts and fender is off but the damned brake lines..lol.

You said you dislike bolting down but...this system has flush(mostly) plates you can mount in many spots/configurations. The plates are cheap enough to leave in trailer if sold and tell the next guy about the cool system. You only need (fairly) cheap pins for different bikes and the bulk of the bracket can be "reused".  I use this for my fast bikes and am thrilled they have pins for the T7.

Link to pitbull racing trailer restraint system

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Captain Cannon said:

You said you dislike bolting down but...this system has flush(mostly) plates you can mount in many spots/configurations. The plates are cheap enough to leave in trailer if sold and tell the next guy about the cool system. You only need (fairly) cheap pins for different bikes and the bulk of the bracket can be "reused".  I use this for my fast bikes and am thrilled they have pins for the T7.

Link to pitbull racing trailer restraint system

+1 This is what I see LOTS of folks using at track days to secure their bikes.  They are very popular.

There is no need to remove the fender.  

I good quality wheel chock will keep the bike secured and 2 straps pulling slightly forward will do a perfect job holding your bike in place.  There is no need to compress the forks hard when using a chock.  I usually use a canyon dancer strap on the bars, but if you have crash bars they are a great place to attach and you only need to compress the forks maybe an inch to make it rock solid secure.  Add 2 more to the rear if you are really nervous, but they are not truly needed.

The bike won't go anywhere and you are putting less load on the forks than if you were sitting on the bike.  

Nothing will affect the bike unless you crash the trailer.  If you plan to flip the trailer on it's side then there is only one restraint that is suited for that scenario.  Pit bull trailer restraint is the best in the business.

08B01837-F2D0-4552-840A-E96090A95381.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/28/2023 at 2:42 AM, williestreet said:

There is no need to remove the fender.  

I good quality wheel chock will keep the bike secured and 2 straps pulling slightly forward will do a perfect job holding your bike in place.  There is no need to compress the forks hard when using a chock.  I usually use a canyon dancer strap on the bars, but if you have crash bars they are a great place to attach and you only need to compress the forks maybe an inch to make it rock solid secure.  Add 2 more to the rear if you are really nervous, but they are not truly needed.

The bike won't go anywhere and you are putting less load on the forks than if you were sitting on the bike.  

Nothing will affect the bike unless you crash the trailer.  If you plan to flip the trailer on it's side then there is only one restraint that is suited for that scenario.  Pit bull trailer restraint is the best in the business.

08B01837-F2D0-4552-840A-E96090A95381.jpeg

Amazing photo and testament to the quality and strength of that solution. 

• Like 1