Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Security Chains

Andyrm27

My new bike is due to arrive soon and I’m looking at home security. Can a 16mm security chain fit through the rear wheel please ? 

• Moderators

@Andyrm27 Welcome to the forum. Yes, a 16mm chain should easily fit between the spokes on the rear wheel.  If my conversion is correct,  your 16mm should equal a 5/8" chain link which is about 2 1/4" across. The rear spoke opening is about 3" so you should be fine. For additional security in the past I've drilled a hole in the concrete slab and screwed a thick eye bolt into the slab for an anchor point. Good place to tie up your Rottweiler when you have the garage door open too. 😉

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thanks. Luckily I don’t need a ground anchor as I have a concrete pillar from floor to ceiling so the chain wraps around it

I have a 5/8s cable that I wrap between my rims of several different bikes and I use a disk brake lock with alarm. I never worried with it until about 6 months ago some piece of shat tried to steal my 450l. Luckily my dog was outside and ran them off. They were pushing it out of my carport.

Your best security is to remove the rear axle.

Not ideal if you are using the bike regularly but good if it is laid up for a few weeks

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I just use the steering lock in the garage.

That’s because everyone’s too chilled to steal bikes over there. When I lived in Germany, the dealers didn’t do security. On offer was a chain I wouldn’t have used when I was a kid to tie my bmx to a lamp post 😂. Came back to uk and bought a battleship anchor chain. And a thatcham cat 1 immobiliser. Insurance wouldn’t touch you without it in those days and bike had to be in a brick garage. 
make sure it goes through the frame. 
also, you can now get a new material which won’t break with a grinder. Check it out. 

I am glad I live somewhere I can be ignorant of such things.  I'm always a bit shocked to hear the length folks have to go to try to keep what is theirs theirs.   Sounds like the cretins don't have a sufficient fear of lead poisoning.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Windblown said:

I am glad I live somewhere I can be ignorant of such things.  I'm always a bit shocked to hear the length folks have to go to try to keep what is theirs theirs.   Sounds like the cretins don't have a sufficient fear of lead poisoning.  

Don’t want to get political, but it is a security thread.  There’s no chance of lead poisoning for towrags over here anymore. In fact people have been jailed for using weapons on burglars in their home. 🙄

couldn't make it up. 
I reckon the average biker in uk spends about £1000 on locks and other devices. 
but on a cheerier note : ), the new “chains” are fantastic, flexible and light. And expensive.  Space age tech kills cutting discs. 
you could use the litelok d ring to attach a massive 20mm chain to the frame. 

• Like 1