Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Water inside swing arm.

Dave D

Anyone else notice water coming out of bolt holes, (maybe), in rear end of swing arm when leaning bike over? I lube my chain using a piece of wood jammed under the right side footpeg bracket to jack up the rear wheel. My bike hasn't seen water for a while but it was coming out of the swing arm today. Got me thinking how long has it been in there and what damage is it going to cause over years? The water came out of the left side arm. Could be inside right side too. The water is not coming out of threaded paddock stand bobbin holes - it is from underneath.

T7 water in swing arm.jpg

Edited by Dave D

Probably condensation and the swingarm is aluminium, worst case it gets a bit white.

3 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Probably condensation and the swingarm is aluminium, worst case it gets a bit white.

Good call. It is really damp here at this time of year and my workshop is not the driest of places. Will give it a good tilt over tomorrow and see if it comes out of other side too.

@Dave DWater in swingarm was a commen problem with ktm 950/990 adv. It comes from rain, watercrossings. Solution was drill a 2 mm hole. I just checked my tenere and the holes are already in the swingarm. So thats good to let water out. As the swingarm is aluminium, it will not rust quickly, but the bolts in the threads for chain adjustment can corrode from inside.

I need to change my tyres soon, then i will take out these bolts and grease them for rust prevention.

• Like 1

I have the same problem. I think it is from washing the bike and riding in the rain. 

After a month in heated storage I moved the bike and suddenly a lot of water was coming out of the bike. Then I noticed that when I moved the bike from left to right you could hear the water inside moving (squashing around)

I removed the rubber cab (at the front of the swingarm) to help it evaporate, but I don't think this helps a lot. 

Will check for the little holes at the bottom later, maybe they are blocked or something. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

@Dave DWater in swingarm was a commen problem with ktm 950/990 adv. It comes from rain, watercrossings. Solution was drill a 2 mm hole. I just checked my tenere and the holes are already in the swingarm. So thats good to let water out. As the swingarm is aluminium, it will not rust quickly, but the bolts in the threads for chain adjustment can corrode from inside.

I need to change my tyres soon, then i will take out these bolts and grease them for rust prevention.

Thanks for the info. I will check for the drain holes and keep them clean. I was already told to lube the adjuster bolts by a bike shop buddy. Maybe this is why and he has had issues with them.

I found the same issue yesterday.  I washed the bike on Sunday.  Gave it a quick ride and put it away.  Leaning it over for a chain lube, the water came out.  Thank goodness it isn't from the hub.

Edited by katana
  • Like 1

Sounds like a good place to store some extra drinking water for a desert crossing lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2