Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Horn activates front blinkers?!

Atheos

So when I got my bike (2021 Tenere 700) I noticed the horn was pitiful! So I swapped it out with sound a sound bomb mini. Used it over the past year with no issues. 

Recently I installed the Cyclops 3.0 blinkers, when doing all my tests I noticed something weird, when I hit my horn it activate the front blinkers... but not the rear. Both of the front look like they are go through there start up sequence. 

I emailed Cyclops to see if they had any ideas, they say their kit shouldn't tie into the horn in anyway, and that something must be crossed...

I'm thinking maybe a bad ground somewhere but I'm not sure where to even start. Anyone have any ideas or seem something like this on another bike? I'm really not sure what to make of it, I have limited experience/knowledge with electrical but both of these things are just plug and play.

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly you have made a mistake somewhere. Strip everything back to normal and start over. 

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

He said plug and play…

Check all wiring harnesses to see if you’ve rubbed through and are shorting wires together. Are the horn and signal switches in the same casing? If so take that apart and see if anything is shorting. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Samm said:

He said plug and play…

Check all wiring harnesses to see if you’ve rubbed through and are shorting wires together. Are the horn and signal switches in the same casing? If so take that apart and see if anything is shorting. 

Agreed, he stated it was plug n play, but assuming that the received harness is correct  after experiencing that issue isn't something I would do.

@Atheos. I would contact Cyclops again for a detailed wiring diagram. purchase a multimeter and learn how to trace out or " pin out" the harness to confirm it was wired correctly.  Either that or send it back to Cyclops to have them do it.  Also, you didn't state you got your bike new or used, but if used then your problem could be caused by the previous owner?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@AZJWI contacted cyclops and made sure the pinout on the connectors was correct. Removed the pins from both the bikes connectors and the signals to ensure no crossed wires or loose strands.

Then used a multimeter to make sure the bike wasn't sending voltage to the signals when they shouldn't be. Also took apart the unit on the handle bars where the horn and signaling switches are located and made sure nothing was shorting in there.

The horn and day light runners are on the same circuit (rear signals do not tie into running light circuit, thats why they are unaffected) and using the horn seems to activate the signals and sometimes shut off the day light runners on the Cyclops lights, or worse lock both drl and amber on until i reset the bike. This doesn't happen with the stock lights. Also if I pull the white wire from the Cyclops lights(the drl wire) then the signals do not get activated. 

The bike was purchased new by me and has no previous electrical modifications. 

Here's a link of short videos of the issue if any one is interested. But since finding someone else with this bike and lights combo that has the same issue I decided to send them back and go a different route.