Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rucksack Dilemma, Kriega R30? R22?

ninot7

so i got the Kriega OS system (2x18), an SW motech 35 L dry bag and 2 Lomo bar bags, and am heading for a week's camping trip. I figures id pack all the camping stuff across in the dry bag, and use the OS18s for clothes/gear/tools etc.

Leaves me with Personal belongings on my World Raid, i DO NOT want a tank bag, hence am breaking my brains for Day 5 now to choose a suitable rucksack. 

At the moment, the best value for money buy is the Kriega R30, that has 1000s of followers and pos reviews. Am torn between the R30, R22 as they are the only ones that make sense being waterproof and would hold documents, cables etc with room for taxfree shopping and so on. I just want to know if any of you ride with either the R30 or R22, how big is it actually? How does it feel standing up and off road? is it intrusive? 

ALthough the R30 is 30 L, i dont intend to fill it up with heavy stuff, but high volume compressible light stuff. 

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks

• Like 1

I have a R22 that I like a lot. It's not perfect but the best compromise for me.  The size is between a small hydration pack and the larger day pack I use for travel off bike. 

With the compression straps, it works as a hydration pack, though a bit on the heavy/ bulky side.  Yet fully expanded, it can hold quite a lot.  It's comfortable, both on and off the bike.  When riding I forget it's there.  And the dry bag section is large enough to get my laptop and spare clothes in, which is one thing that was very important to me. 

The biggest drawback is that there aren't any small compartments. You only get the dry bag and the smaller compartment on the back.  I get around this by having a couple of small bags that I put in the back compartment, with the most used items in the top bag.  I wasn't sure if this was going to work, but now prefer this to a bag with fixed storage for little things because it's more adaptable. 

• Like 1

When I was looking for a bag, I did a lot of research, and found that many people liked the smaller Kriega backpacks like the R15.   The R30 is a big bag, especially if you ride off road. 

My final decision was between the R18 and the R22, with the compression straps being the deciding factor as they let you pull the load close to your back. 

You’ve made the right choice with kriega. 
I’d  go smaller as you have a good lot of space already and it gets a bit tiring with too much crap on your back. Let the bike take the strain. 👍

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I like the R22 a lot, it suits my OS bags too. However, the R30 new is the a bit cheaper on SBS! 
also ill be using on touring and just thinking whether to fit all my personals including hoodie and stuff (large light items) perhaps the R30 is better in the sense that the space is there if i need it? 
OMG i have never researched anything this much!

Just to muddy the waters, you can also strap a small bag onto the R22.  I have both the US5 and US10 that work for this. 

1 minute ago, Hollybrook said:

Just to muddy the waters, you can also strap a small bag onto the R22.  I have both the US5 and US10 that work for this. 

You can strap US bags to either!! That’s the thing. Confused. problem is i live on an island with no kriega shop so cant try anything