Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

'22 T7 WR Aux Lead - Male Plug??

Best_Revenge

Hi all - New to this site and thankful to have it as a resource. Recently bought a '22 T7 WR and looking to do the simplest of tasks... fit my Garmin GPS. There's only one auxiliary lead I'm aware of, and it was hard to find, but now I'm not sure where to get a hold of the right three-pronged, triangular male head for it (see picture). 

I'm attaching a standard Garmin GPS wiring setup, with raw-end positive and negative leads. Otherwise fully set up with solder kit, etc. - I just need to find this triangular male head. Any links or recs are very appreciated! 

BR 

Female Aux Lead.jpg

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Awesome - Thanks very much guys. Two probably dumb questions (outing myself as an electrical noob here, last wiring harness I dove into was from a '73 CB750 and it looked a bit different...).

1. What is the third wire entering the female connector for? Just a ground wire? Why are there two red wires? Which wires are which?

2. I will probably just buy the prescribed part at G's link above, but curious if I could substitute this for crimping on these flat pins I already own (see picture) and then just shrink-wrapping the whole thing together once they're in the female connector, since I don't intend to remove? Is there anything special about the white plastic piece? 

Thanks again for the assistance. 

Flat Pins.jpg

I’m going to wire mine into the 2 pin aux plug

i have my grips on the 3 pin

I bought one of these 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224123559044?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=O_F44t3XRya&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=wjCNZuICR6O&var=522912422857&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

and the 3 pin plug I bought

s-l400.jpg

1x Male + Female Plug. 1x Female plug. 1 x Male plug. Common connector for Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki,Triumph, KTM.etc. (6180-3241) - Female. Whatever the problem, we will stay with it until it is resolved and you are satisfied.

Edited by Lewie

Thanks Lewie. Do you have a WR? I have yet to find 2-prong auxiliary leads on mine, if they exist, but heard the normal T7 has multiple 2-prong and 3-prong leads behind the RHS body panel. Love the bike but cannot for the life of me understand why Yamaha would not make it easier to do grips, lights, GPS - very standard add-ons. 

3 minutes ago, Best_Revenge said:

cannot for the life of me understand why Yamaha would not make it easier to do grips, lights, GPS

How much easier do you want, someone to plug them in for you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

1 hour ago, Best_Revenge said:

Thanks Lewie. Do you have a WR? I have yet to find 2-prong auxiliary leads on mine, if they exist, but heard the normal T7 has multiple 2-prong and 3-prong leads behind the RHS body panel. Love the bike but cannot for the life of me understand why Yamaha would not make it easier to do grips, lights, GPS - very standard add-ons. 

No just a standard

the plugs on the standard are on both sides

my amateur guide here might help-

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hibobb said:

How much easier do you want, someone to plug them in for you?

Was more commenting on number of leads for the multiple common accessories - is there a splitter connection of some kind I should be looking at? And yes - did mention I'm a electrical noob on modern bikes! 🙂

15 hours ago, Best_Revenge said:

Hi all - New to this site and thankful to have it as a resource. Recently bought a '22 T7 WR and looking to do the simplest of tasks... fit my Garmin GPS. There's only one auxiliary lead I'm aware of, and it was hard to find, but now I'm not sure where to get a hold of the right three-pronged, triangular male head for it (see picture). 

I'm attaching a standard Garmin GPS wiring setup, with raw-end positive and negative leads. Otherwise fully set up with solder kit, etc. - I just need to find this triangular male head. Any links or recs are very appreciated! 

BR 

Female Aux Lead.jpg

I ran both my Oxford grips and Garmin power leads directly to the battery.  I will save those aux connectors for something else.

26 minutes ago, r1superstar said:

I ran both my Oxford grips and Garmin power leads directly to the battery.  I will save those aux connectors for something else.

Good to know, thanks R1. Maybe better to save the aux for lights down the road, will take another look. 

Thanks again all for the quick and helpful responses.

1 hour ago, Best_Revenge said:

is there a splitter connection of some kind I should be looking at

Ya, there are some splitters out there. check the links sent prior and/or check ebay.

I think Yamaha has three quick connects on the bike stock. They are nice as they turn off with the key.

More the three things added, be aware that there are limits on the power drawn. 

Lights, heated grips, heated gloves, heated jacket, GPS, Radios, Toasters, Pizza ovens...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again all for the tips. 

Just sharing an update, I decided to leave the lead beneath the LHS side panel for auxiliary lighting. As it happens, on the WR the rubber cover between the two tanks' fill caps pops off to reveal a channel between the tanks in which it's easy to nestle a GPS power cable, with plenty of room for the fuse and little transformer box to then fit directly behind the battery. 

I ran the end of the cable that powers the GPS unit underneath the damper and triple on the RHS, then up the side of the TFT to the mount on the bar.

Happy to provide more details if helpful at all.    

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Best_Revenge I have a World Raid too and am going to fit heated grips before the Kielder Rally later this month as it looks like it's going to be cold. Would you mind telling me where the aux lead you found is in the first pic above? Might save me some digging around!

Hey HH - Yes, of course. I'm not with my bike at the moment to send pictures, but if you remove the left-hand plastic side cover you'll see a recessed area beneath the dash plastic and above the tank. There are a few leads running through there from back to front, including a spare one that's folded back on itself and taped to another lead. Cut the tape and use needle-nose pliers or something similar to wiggle the female end free. It should have a black rubber cap on it. It may be a little tough to spot when taped in place, but it's there. 

From there, it may be worth checking out some of the other links shared above in case you need a splitter. I have not added heated grips yet so I'm not familiar with how the harness for those works. Hope this helps. 

options here

1 - buy the ones listed above, plenty sell the mini loom online giving you plenty options

2 -  Take the female cover off the Aux loom on the bike and re use this along with gps wiring and 2 generic elec connectors (this what I am going to do and wouldn't bough 2 looms if new has spare female cap on bike)

3 - leave connector as it is and solder, scoth-lock, posit tap into the loom behind the connector

Also there should be a second 2pin white block for the USB outlets, these would be a better bet for a gps as lower amp fuse rating

I’ve bought a 2 pin one to wire in my zumo

The 3 pin female connect has no pins so can’t be used unless you have spare ones (it’s just the cover and rubber bungs)

I see the WR doesn’t have this looks like they have a rubber cap ( looking at pic in 1st post)

Edited by Lewie

10 minutes ago, Lewie said:

I’ve bought a 2 pin one to wire in my zumo

The 3 pin female connect has no pins so can’t be used unless you have spare ones (it’s just the cover and rubber bungs)

I see the WR doesn’t have this looks like they have a rubber cap ( looking at pic in 1st post)

ah so only a cap? pitty, i have rubbers taken out and pins popped into mine (have loads in a box of spares)