Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Plastitc chirping - anyone else?

random1781

Question

I'm getting a loud and really obnoxious chirp from some plastics rubbing together somewhere near the headlight assembly. The problem is that it only happens during high-speed bumps, and I don't visually see any friction points. Before going through the tedious process of removing stuff and making runs, I wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue or suggestions for where to look.

advgoats.com

7 answers to this question

Well we figured it out!

My fender has been droopy on account of a fender bag with a tube...

PXL_20230324_013152800.jpg.abf2e1647c74666dd1121ccbb25b62ea.jpg

I've known about this for a bit, but never put 2 and 2 together until today while we were playing around a bumpier area.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

No issues on mine. I wear ear buds or plugs 90% of the time.

• Like 1

That's crickets; you need to move faster to silence them.......or get a loud pipe.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Is everything up front stock? Any changes or additions?  Had the windshield off? There are some rubber standoffs under it that if missing might cause chirping.

You could grab a can of silicone spray and got to town on everything to  see if you can quiet it down.

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 1

Yes. Just traced mine to the clear side wing thingies rubbing on the side panels. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redbikejohn said:

Yes. Just traced mine to the clear side wing thingies rubbing on the side panels. 

I think this is probably the most likely case. One of my crash bars is bent in and is pressing the fairing into the winglet. It's been pretty intermittent lately though, so hard to tell. I'm swapping crash bars out soon, so we'll see how that goes.

advgoats.com