Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Chain Replacement time - master clip

sracer

Question

My T now has just over 20,000 miles and it's time for a chain replacement. Planning to use the DID 525VX3. Has anyone used a clip master or should the rivet type be used?

13 answers to this question

Rivet you can take a clip as spare and sometimes they are both in the set but the bike has too many rpm's and power to trust a clip.

• Like 1

I agree. Better use the rivet IF you can ensure it's being mounted correctly.

Master links are great for road side repairs.

On bicycles, I'm only using master links - but I usually can't put down comparable torque/force, power and rpm on the chain 😁

Edited by Tenerider

Never had a problem with a clip... but I safety wire them anyways.

If they were weak, they wouldn't be included by reputable companies.

image.png.9be7d050d6ea8346622e30721ba0774e.png

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

35 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

If they were weak, they wouldn't be included by reputable companies.

Have you ever read the box or paper included? I didn't
But it can be included so people without a chain riveter can mount it to drive to a shop and have the master clip replaced and the right link riveted.
Clips are nice for machines and bicycles or as a trail fix but not as a permanent solution, but that's my opinion.

Great chain choice. Go with what the bike or chain manufacturer recommends is the safest bet.

With that out of the way... I go with whatever is handy as I have the tools to handle either.  The only difference in Modern clip style masterlinks and the ones you swage the pins on are the retaining mechanism which has very little work to do as sideloads are pretty much non-existent.  Differences in motor power don't mean squat and the T7 isn't a fire breathing monster regardless.  I'd bet dollar to donuts either my 790 or my 800XC out in the garage has a chain with a clip style link keeping it together. It really means that little to me, I just don't know without looking. 

As can be seen on the D.I.D. website they will sell you the chain you are looking for with either Masterlink type (your choice) and there are no warnings on the page about the clip type being dangerous or inferior. If they were the manufacturer would be telling you so as to avoid getting sued.

https://www.didchain.com/products/525vx3?variant=42861977469090

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Rivet you can take a clip as spare and sometimes they are both in the set but the bike has too many rpm's and power to trust a clip.

I totally disagree.

After many years on bikes ranging from KDX200, several WRF450s and F800GS all of them had a master clip in the chain. Not one has ever broken a clip.

I always smeared a bit of Blumax on the clip to eliminated any vibrations

I changed the chain on the T7 recently and unfortunately couldn't get anything other than a rivet link.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Not far off a new chain myself so this subject begs the question... Which chain break/ rivet tool do you recommend??

20 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

Not far off a new chain myself so this subject begs the question... Which chain break/ rivet tool do you recommend??

I've had a couple. Currently have an RK tool and it works well.

rktool.jpg.f1f270a349d211f4e780bdbc5f335982.jpg

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Motion pro makes sells 2 or three different rivet tools.  RK chain has a couple of  models.   There are a multitude of off brand tools which are copies of the RK or motion pro design.

I have owned the Motion pro and RK rivet tools.  They make quality tools that will last a lifetime.   

I would not purchase  the DRC Zeta rivet tool.  Had one in the past and it failed after doing several links.  It is less expensive but will not last like the motion pro or the RK tools in my opinion.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ran a clip on the trans america trail on my 690 without issue. I cleand the clip and put a dab on jb weld on it to keep it secure.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I have both clip and rivet coming with the new chain... and a friend with a rivet tool, so that will probably be the choice.

5 hours ago, Stevoh said:

Stevoh,

I have had good results with the Motio Pro PBR.

I think MXStore in Burleigh Heads has them.

edit: out of stock but other Oz sites have them

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Edited by Rider 101
  • Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

At least in Germany, Kellermann chain tools have a very high reputation. They are not as expensive as their blinkers.

• Like 1