Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Why would you want a high exhaust?

Endopotential

OK, flame away...  maybe just a fun discussion to start the weekend off 😛

What are the advantages of having the typical high mounted exhaust?  The only one that's clear to me is that it prevents water from getting in. 

But in real world use and ownership, how many of us are really fording Nordic streams deep enough to cover the swingarm?   Or am I missing something?

Otherwise I just see a bunch of disadvantages:

- weight is carried up higher

- more specific to the Tenere, falling on right side can damage the swingarm and subframe

- another thread suggests that routing the exhaust pipe close to the rear brake master cylinder can compromise things there

- high exhaust can burn rear panniers and turn signals

Having a low slung exhaust seems to solve a lot of this.  As most of the restriction comes from the catalytic converter, I'm not convinced that anything downstream of that significantly affects engine performance.  So is it just a matter of aesthetics, cuz it looks ADV cool?

Point #2 you have backwards and the comment you read about the high exhaust causing trouble with the rear brake is likely completely over blown and possibly not even a measurable difference. 

If one is not going to be dropping the bike often then keeping the exhaust where it is in stock trim makes a ton of sense.  A high pipe for deep water makes no difference unless the bikes stalls. Truth is I'd be more worried about some of the high pipes I've seen getting a lot of water in them while parked in a rain storm and water can do a number to muffler packing over time. 

All that said - I have a high pipe because of your point#2 (which you have backwards). 😉

The other solution to avoid frame damage from the low slung exhaust is to put HD luggage racks on the bike.  A legitimate option, though for me I'd be loath to do such a thing to this bike.

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 1

Many of the reasons for a tucked in, higher exhaust are covered here: 

Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 1

FWIW - The only Dakar style exhaust I've seen for this bike is Camel ADVs "Rally Bend" option.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Windblown said:

Point #2 you have backwards

Which #2?  the part about falling down on right side and damaging swingarm/subframe?

And that thread about the MIVV exhaust [and Camel version]- yes it helps tuck away the OEM exhaust, but doesn't answer why you'd want it mounted that high in the first place.

Keep it coming folks!

Edited by Endopotential

45 minutes ago, Windblown said:

Point #2 you have backwards and the comment you read about the high exhaust causing trouble with the rear brake is likely completely over blown and possibly not even a measurable difference. 

If one is not going to be dropping the bike often then keeping the exhaust where it is in stock trim makes a ton of sense.  A high pipe for deep water makes no difference unless the bikes stalls. Truth is I'd be more worried about some of the high pipes I've seen getting a lot of water in them while parked in a rain storm and water can do a number to muffler packing over time. 

All that said - I have a high pipe because of your point#2 (which you have backwards). 😉

The other solution to avoid frame damage from the low slung exhaust is to put HD luggage racks on the bike.  A legitimate option, though for me I'd be loath to do such a thing to this bike.

There’s also the option of fitting swingarm guards such as the ones Acerbis supply.

30 minutes ago, Endopotential said:

Which #2?  the part about falling down on right side and damaging swingarm/subframe?

And that thread about the MIVV exhaust [and Camel version]- yes it helps tuck away the OEM exhaust, but doesn't answer why you'd want it mounted that high in the first place.

Keep it coming folks!

The second item you mentioned as being a disadvantage to the high exhaust

Otherwise I just see a bunch of disadvantages:

- weight is carried up higher

- more specific to the Tenere, falling on right side can damage the swingarm and subframe

That is much more likely to occur with the stock exhaust as has been documented by others who it has happened to. The reason is the long exhaust hanger combined with the the exhaust itself hanging below it creates a very long and powerful lever making it easy to bend the upper mounting point of the hanger inward in a fall.  This situation is made worse as  the Exhaust hanger, "subframe" & frame are one welded together unit.  The only way to replace a damaged part of any of it with an OEM part is to replace the whole bloody frame.  (Terrible decision on Yamahas part IMHO). 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alan M said:

There’s also the option of fitting swingarm guards such as the ones Acerbis supply.

That will protect the swing arm but it won't prevent damage to the exhaust hanger/frame.  

I'm still of the opinion the best cure is prevention - Reroute the exhaust, or don't drop the bike on the right side, or build a cage around the exhaust (luggage racks).  

7bko7y.jpg.5d5db1358b14c25935c2d7e7a8cd6053.jpg

🙂

The @Camel ADVpipes just plain look cool! They tuck it out of the way and there is no interference with racks, lights (unless you are still running pumpkins) and does not collect rain in it.  Can speak highly enough about it. 

36 minutes ago, Windblown said:

That is much more likely to occur with the stock exhaust as has been documented by others who it has happened to. The reason is the long exhaust hanger combined with the the exhaust itself hanging below it creates a very long and powerful lever making it easy to bend the upper mounting point of the hanger inward in a fall.  This situation is made worse as  the Exhaust hanger, "subframe" & frame are one welded together unit.  The only way to replace a damaged part of any of it with an OEM part is to replace the whole bloody frame.  (Terrible decision on Yamahas part IMHO). 

Welding would also be an option if you don't need the bike to look 100% stock.  If I got out the welder, I would be making a replaceable mount anyway.

Then again, putting on a CamelADV enduro muffler was easier and it sure sounds better than the stock muffler.

• Like 1

An example of damage to the swingarm caused by the stock exhaust.  Pic taken from another thread.

You won't see this damage with a raised exhaust.

FBCDF00D-833C-456E-86C6-FE6BE5A0FD27.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Endopotential said:

Keep it coming folks!

Do you really think the exhaust PROTECTS the swingarm? Then mount one on the left side as well.

And because I keep reading and hearing it over and over again: carrying the weight high up is only a disadvantage when you have to pick up the bike. As soon as you're rolling, especially at low speeds, it helps stabilizing the bike, in exactly the same way as standing up does.

I prefer a higher mounted exhaust for looks and ground clearance, and since most aftermarket exhausts provide some amount of weight savings.  I have noticed some water entering the exhaust opening when my bike is parked outside in the rain… but that can be remedied with more throttle when riding!

Although there is definitive proof from broken hangers and gouged swing arms, I don’t think anyone needs to be “convinced” if the stock exhaust or location sucks, it’s more a personal preference of how you want your bike to look, sound and perform based on how and where you ride.

“…to each their own…”

C47D3BF0-E58B-4722-82D8-C8FE01199BDE.jpeg

My factory muffler loved its bath in gravel. Tweaked the bracket leaving 2 mm of clearance from the swing arm.  Bent the bracket back out and continued.  No problems with this now because the MIVV high mount is installed.  

684418CB-64F2-4D4E-A13F-3C60DE6FA6E4.jpeg

A7B6F4CC-33E3-4686-A7BE-26126F1F8ADE.jpeg

• Like 2

I didn't need much convincing to swap it out for a high one, every time I walked into the garage and saw that monstrosity jutting out the side of my beautiful bike I would groan.

On 2/18/2023 at 11:07 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

How do you think this has ended up with the stock exhaust?

IMG_20220430_171616.jpg.eb535aba80041867e269fca17b2a24a7.jpg

Come on Ray, surely you laid that down just for this thread.  I couldn't think of a safer place to put one on its side 😉

Edited by winddown
  • Haha 1